Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Dust and Pollen Filter - Very Dirty (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/91297-dust-pollen-filter-very-dirty.html)

SilverEX15 01-06-2019 03:24 PM

Depending where you live, you could find half-eaten acorns and mouse droppings in there. :)

evilchargerfan 01-07-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1420754)
That filter is so easy to get to that I shake it out often. I use a K&N permanent filter, and I occasionally wash and re-oil it.

what do you use, for the re oil step?

eulogy 01-09-2019 11:11 AM

i was recently seriously considering the K&N filter. i decided against it as i read that the fitment edge to edge isnt perfect like a paper filter. maybe others can post their findings or pics? I really wanted to believe in the K&N.

i also didnt want to mess with the cleaning, drying, recharging....and buying a recharge kit. same reason i bought AFE Dry elements for my motors air filter (OE box and PRM intake).

Mine is not due for a new one for awhile, but when i do change it i will be using a paper filter. I havent decided if ill do another OEM one, or get a replacement like Fram or something. I might even just buy a pack of chinese ones from ebay and swap them out more frequently.

Everyone remember that the filter is not only for your lungs, but mostly for the Blower Motor. The harder it needs to suck, the sooner you will have to replace it along the Blower Motor Resistor. I replaced these parts on my 09 recently, I got my car used last spring with about 54,000 miles on it, so Im discovering all the quirks one does with a used car, unfortunately. Not sure if it was due to their age, (lack of filter) maintenance, or if simply faulty.

Just a little tip to anyone that wants to drastically prolong their cabin filters life...pop it out everytime you clean your car. Give it a few taps upside down to loosen anything it has caught....and then run the carwash vacuum over the TOPSIDE of the filter. Of course there is still a limited amount of times a person can do this...but you will probably get at least 2-3 times the mileage out of the filter.

SilverEX15 01-09-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by eulogy (Post 1420976)
Just a little tip to anyone that wants to drastically prolong their cabin filters life...pop it out everytime you clean your car. Give it a few taps upside down to loosen anything it has caught....and then run the carwash vacuum over the TOPSIDE of the filter. Of course there is still a limited amount of times a person can do this...but you will probably get at least 2-3 times the mileage out of the filter.

Fortunately, that filter is very easy to remove and clean, especially if you don't keep much in the glove compartment.