Text and message notification

Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Text and message notification

Does anyone get email and text notifications in their the car? I have the parameters set to on. But can't get the message or email alert, when I go to settings it shows email/text greyed out so it cant be selected. I tried the map iso account selection but it doesn't help.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by tmfit; 07-31-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I figured it out. It is a Bluetooth setting on the iphone. Open the Bluetooth account on your phone and enable show notifications.

Makes it nice because it notifies you and will also read the message to you.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I figured it out. It is a Bluetooth setting on the iphone. Open the Bluetooth account on your phone and enable show notifications.

Makes it nice because it notifies you and will also read the message to you.
Thanks. I can't wait to try this!

Jason

Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks for this tip !!!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 AM
Good tip. Just need to be aware that keeping the notifications on does put extra drain on your iphone battery.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm having a similar issue with my Android phone. I have an HTC One M8, and the handsfreelink.honda.com website says that this phone should be compatible for text and email. However, the features are greyed out on the menu.

Any Android users have any tips? What am I missing?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by xStitchx
I'm having a similar issue with my Android phone. I have an HTC One M8, and the handsfreelink.honda.com website says that this phone should be compatible for text and email. However, the features are greyed out on the menu.

Any Android users have any tips? What am I missing?
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 here with same issues....I'm sad to say Honda seems to only like Apple products....

Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 here with same issues....I'm sad to say Honda seems to only like Apple products....
I use a note 3, and the radio does read out texts and send texts as well. I have the phone paired to the radio via Bluetooth BTW. And the guy at the dealership set it up for me.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 AM
m_x
Originally Posted by noripwr
I use a note 3, and the radio does read out texts and send texts as well. I have the phone paired to the radio via Bluetooth BTW. And the guy at the dealership set it up for me.

It SENDS them too? While you are parked or moving? I have gotten it to read them out loud to me, but "Reply" is greyed out and the screen says it's not available when the vehicle is moving, which is honestly sort of bummer because I was imagining having messages read to me and speaking to reply without touching the phone. I don't text and drive, but I was excited to dictate texts and drive. I feel like this may be a limitation of the iPhone itself. I want to switch to Droid so I'm following these threads pretty closely. All tips appreciated!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by m_x
It SENDS them too? While you are parked or moving? I have gotten it to read them out loud to me, but "Reply" is greyed out and the screen says it's not available when the vehicle is moving, which is honestly sort of bummer because I was imagining having messages read to me and speaking to reply without touching the phone. I don't text and drive, but I was excited to dictate texts and drive. I feel like this may be a limitation of the iPhone itself. I want to switch to Droid so I'm following these threads pretty closely. All tips appreciated!

I don't know if its a limitation to iphone, but it allowed me to send text while I was slowing down to a stop light. Again, I use a note 3. I don't have my iPhone anymore.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier or not - but if you hold down on the "TALK" button on the steering wheel for a bit (the one with a face of a man talking) then this will automatically start SIRI on an iPhone. From there you can ask her to do anything - such as read texts, send texts, e-mails etc.... I am not sure if Android products have the same mechanism or not... but thought I would point this out to assist anyone having trouble using the Hondalink features... Its a good work around.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier or not - but if you hold down on the "TALK" button on the steering wheel for a bit (the one with a face of a man talking) then this will automatically start SIRI on an iPhone. From there you can ask her to do anything - such as read texts, send texts, e-mails etc.... I am not sure if Android products have the same mechanism or not... but thought I would point this out to assist anyone having trouble using the Hondalink features... Its a good work around.
Jupiter it's a Apple only feature....

Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 PM
m_x
This is what I've been doing, but it's a bit disappointing. I have never found SIRI to work well enough to be truly useful and if your phone is in your pocket and streaming to the car, forget it. SIRI never get's it right.

Even when I'm stopped in neutral my parking break is on it keeps the "reply" option grayed out. I have recently fallen hard from apple fanboydom and I couldn't have lower expectations for their crap, so I feel like if something isn't working, it's probably some setting hidden somewhere on the phone. Everything in the car is set to On, so it should work.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Actually that's about exactly what I do to hear texts and send replies through my note 3. I hold the button down and the radio prompts with commands I can do.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 PM
m_x
I still cannot get the thing to send a reply. I'm using an iPhone 5c, everything in the car is set to on, I THINK I activated all of the settings on my phone... and nothing, it just stays greyed out. Even when I'm parked with the parking break on, it will only let me read them on the screen. It still doesn't let me touch "Reply" or "Dial."

Does anybody out there have any advice, or maybe know of some hidden setting in the iPhone?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
I still cannot get the thing to send a reply. I'm using an iPhone 5c, everything in the car is set to on, I THINK I activated all of the settings on my phone... and nothing, it just stays greyed out. Even when I'm parked with the parking break on, it will only let me read them on the screen. It still doesn't let me touch "Reply" or "Dial."

Does anybody out there have any advice, or maybe know of some hidden setting in the iPhone?
When you say it is greyed out, where are you seeing this? On the car display?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM
m_x
When you say it is greyed out, where are you seeing this? On the car display?
Yes, on the car display. When I get a text in Park, I can read it off the screen. There are three boxes on the bottom of the screen: Read, Reply and Dial. I can press Read and have the car read the words, but Reply and Dial are greyed out and not available.

When in motion, I can still hit read, but Reply and Dial are grey and the screen says "this function is not available while driving" or something like that.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Yes, on the car display. When I get a text in Park, I can read it off the screen. There are three boxes on the bottom of the screen: Read, Reply and Dial. I can press Read and have the car read the words, but Reply and Dial are greyed out and not available.

When in motion, I can still hit read, but Reply and Dial are grey and the screen says "this function is not available while driving" or something like that.
Ok, I think mine does the same thing, but when I know who sent the text I use siri and tell her to send text.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Ok, I think mine does the same thing, but when I know who sent the text I use siri and tell her to send text.
Having the same problem. Texts are read and received and in my inbox but I can not click reply either. Anyone?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Text replies and email

I have the same symptom. Stopped, in park the computer will not allow me to answer a text, as it says it will. I have an iPhone 5s. Let me add that the advice at the head of this thread that the Bluetooth setting must have "notifications" turned on is correct. But when you go to Bluetooth in your settings menu, be sure to click on the "i" (info) button to get to the needed screen.
IMO, this is a glitch in the Fit software. The owner's manual (p. 296) says you can reply to a text with six pre-set answers.
Additionally, the owner's manual says that the unit can read incoming mail messages (p. 295). I cannot figure out how to do this. I suspect that the problem has to do with the fact that "Select Account" has only one option displayed. It's as if the car cannot read the phone's email system. The manual a "select a folder" message that never appears once I select the account.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Text and message notification