Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Apple CarPlay

I looked on the forum to see that this was not already posted, but Apple will be releasing CarPlay with the new iOS according to my sales manager (I just bought a modern steel metallic EX-L today). Checkout the display, look familiar? I have an old iPhone so will need (and have been waiting for) a new one. I think that the interface will be much easier than Honda's if you already have been using an iPhone.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

p.s. Thank you for all the great posts, this site helped me make my decision to get a Fit and has helped me learn so many things about it already.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 AM
I still do not understand why companies cater to iOS so heavily when Android has market share. Guess Apple was smart to cater to the developers not the consumers?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Let's not turn this into an Android vs iOS fanboyism debate. I for one welcome Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto, and hope they crank those software updates out so we can all have better-than-oem POS UI software.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by noripwr
Let's not turn this into an Android vs iOS fanboyism debate. I for one welcome Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto, and hope they crank those software updates out so we can all have better-than-oem POS UI software.
Not trying to debate. It was a genuine question that I still have not been able to find an answer to. Granted, being a car forum, this might not be the best place to ask.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Apple's Carplay is already available in IOS 7.1. It's up to Honda to support it.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Question Carplay delayed for Honda?

This seems to indicate Honda has delayed it. I am hoping the Hondalink Next Generation system in the 2015 Fit will be compatible with an upgrade, but I too will await Apple's next announcement. I do plan on using the Siri Eyes Free a lot, as my IPhone 5s supports a fair amount of compatibility. Don't have my Fit yet, but will be putting deposit on a Yellow EX yet to be manufactured. Who knows, maybe it will be compatible by the time I actually get one.

None if the salesmen I have spoken with have been aware of Carplay at all.
Apple CarPlay in Trouble - Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Yes - A large number of Car companies are already backing off of CarPlay and now saying next year for its integration. Although I hope that we might get CarPlay in our 2015 Fits - I suspect this won't happen. It was not "promised" as a feature and therefore no real incentive to Honda to add the functionality.

I think you will like the current level of integration Coyotesweat as it does offer a fair amount with the iPhone.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 AM
iOS 8 should help

Seems to me one of the things IOS 8 makes possible is using Siri to control third party apps like Pandora and I Heart Radio. They have to update their code. If so, I don't really need carplay, as voice control is safer than touch screen. And the car has the HDMI Link if for some odd reason I must watch YouTube on my car screen when traveling. (I am small, and will likely fold those seats and use it as camper occasionally...)

Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
If Honda delayed integration of CarPlay, how did they get it on the Civic's radio? Perhaps it's already within the software? Maybe it was supposed to be an extra icon as an audio source, similar to Aha and that mysterious tablet looking icon?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Dunno. Haven't seen the Civic's radio...

Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
The video shown was of a prototype - the civic does not have CarPlay

Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by GarthRanga
Not trying to debate. It was a genuine question that I still have not been able to find an answer to. Granted, being a car forum, this might not be the best place to ask.
It comes down to money. You can Google it if you want more info but bottom line is even though Apple has less market share now it sells more non-free apps and the same apps on Android have to be discounted compared to iOS to sell.

Just look at GPS programs alone on iOS (garmin at $50 or Honda at $60) and then look at Android, free Google Maps.

Android has more features for free, but developers are more willing to develop in iOS because it is more lucrative. The only exception is ad based apps. That's why so many Android apps are free but with ads (free+android=more downloads=more ad views=more money).

Old 09-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Hellgiver - not really a fair or accurate accounting --- iOS does have Google maps for free - so really no negative there for iOS... Plus, comparing Garmin at $50 or $60 is also not accurate as with Garmin the Maps are embedded into the phone - so no Internet data link required to perform navigation.... (and GPS is built into the phone) Honda is definitely behind the curve there as I do not believe Honda offers integrated maps with their app so no real benefit with their product.

Being a developer it really boils down to the homogeneous nature of iOS that makes it attractive - I only have to worry about one update per year for all iOS devices (maybe) rather than multiple platforms on Android that get customized by every manufacturer - which can and has impacted Google's platform.... that's the real difference... I am all for open systems - but allowing core functionality to be tailored is where it all gets pear shaped...

Old 09-22-2014, 05:18 PM
So im a little confused on this whole car play thing??? Is this working or no? i still dont even get what the point of all the honda link stuff is. i dont even use my phone for music i just have an ipod that i leave plugged in that has all my music on it. i did notice that the cockpit of the GK fit is featured on the apple website but is this something thats not quite up to what its said to be?!?!?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
The video shown was of a prototype - the civic does not have CarPlay
Thanks for mentioning the obvious. I know it was a prototype, but its still a civic radio, which means they HAVE the software and means to get it running. The big question is how come Honda doesn't want to roll it out.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 PM
I suspect because they basically threw some software together to get it working that is not in a truly "operational" reliable state and something they would or do not feel comfortable releasing in a production product that they would be required to be maintained and assure would always work. At this point, I doubt we will see anything until next year related to CarPlay and that is probably still not guaranteed. To be honest at this point I am not expecting any upgrades to this infotainment system for our model year ever.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:30 AM
I also suspect we won't be seeing Carplay or Android auto in the near future. Perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 model insert-car-brand-here vehicle. Surprisingly, Hyundai and Benz has some working Carplay demos on YouTube, demos of course, but still shows signs of promise.

But seeing as to how these car companies have "prototypes" of it in action, I'm assuming the hardware and software is already there. I'm assuming it's up to Apple to finalize and make sure the software works. I'm also assuming Apple's probably doing their usual thing, making sure everybody follows certain rules before being allowed usage and deployment of Carplay. Afterall, if Carplay doesn't work as well as it should, it's a big blow to Apple's reputation rather than the car makes.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 AM
noripwr -- This is not an Apple issue at all - strictly a car company and implementation issue. Apple has already implemented CarPlay and it is already installed into iOS --- It has been since iOS 7.1

Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM
They target iPhone because it is a much more stable target. One manufacturer and just a few models with an avid, affluent, and compliant fanbase. Android is much more difficult to target since there are so many flavors of it out there.

Personally, I have little interest in interfacing a short-lived technology (phones) tightly with a long-lived automobile. As long as I can send and receive calls via bluetooth I am satisfied. My ideal would be simply repeating the phone's screen on the car's display, but that isn't going to happen since idiots would then be watching TFATF while driving.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
To be honest at this point I am not expecting any upgrades to this infotainment system for our model year ever.
While I hope with all of my heart this isn't true, I get a funny feeling that JupiterJoe is right. That lack of an AUX jack might be a growing PITA when the DisplayAudio starts not supporting phones.

It's not as if we can just change out the head units either; half of the dash is integrated into that screen.

EDIT: I just talked to my girlfriend. She got the new iPhone. My mind immediately went to "man...I hope my car will support future devices." This is bumming me out a little bit. It's like the tech in our brand new cars is already 6 month's obsolete.

Last edited by m_x; 09-23-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay