Honda addresses Honda Link issues with iOS8

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Thumbs down Honda addresses Honda Link issues with iOS8

Just got this email

"Dear HondaLink App User,

As you may know, Apple has recently announced the introduction of its new iPhone 6 mobile devices as well as an updated version of the iOS operating system.

We have learned if you upgrade your iPhone 5/5c/5s with iOS 8 or purchase the new Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus, you will encounter HondaLink compatibility issues. While you still will be able to access your HondaLink apps and use features such as weather, location services, Aha and others, the look and layout of features may be impacted and some features will not work properly or will not work at all. Features we know at this time that will not work include:

HondaLink Connect in-vehicle experience
HondaLink Navigation “New Destination” feature in the vehicle
Scheduling Service via the app
We will continue to work with Apple and its market released software and products to quickly begin our design and certification processes to bring you full functionality of your HondaLink apps again.

We sincerely apologize for any temporary inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact Automobile Customer Service at 1-888-528-7876.

Sincerely,
HondaLink Services"

I actually just upgrade my iphone last week to the iOS8 GM and havent tested out the Honda Link app with it.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I think they will resolve it pretty quick.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Just give us CarPlay and we won't need HondaLink lol

Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Siri

So far, I think I'll stick to using Siri Eyes Free. That's built in and I'm an experienced Siri user with unlimited data. So far have played playlists, texted, and made calls, and used spoken directions with maps with no difficulty. And this is Day One!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
just give us carplay and we won't need hondalink lol
+100000000

Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 PM
They didn't "address" the issue. They merely apologized that the issue exists and said that they hoped other people would fix it.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM
So here we go. Knew this would be problematic with this HondaLink stuff. Writing on the wall. CarPlay should have been offered, but after many months, not one word from honda about it being offered for the Fit. Gimmicks from Honda pushed me to not opting for this HondaLink because, not only this new glitch, but some of the other complaints with it, that has been going on for awhile. Wish Honda would have offered the old GPS system as well.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by SR45
So here we go. Knew this would be problematic with this HondaLink stuff. Writing on the wall. CarPlay should have been offered, but after many months, not one word from honda about it being offered for the Fit. Gimmicks from Honda pushed me to not opting for this HondaLink because, not only this new glitch, but some of the other complaints with it, that has been going on for awhile. Wish Honda would have offered the old GPS system as well.
I thought CarPlay was pushed back by Apple? I am an Android guy and I am waiting to see if they offer Android Auto (when it is released in late October). Until then I refuse to buy a new Fit (although I have been checking these forums to see if anyone has heard anything).

I think it is a shame that Honda pushes HondaLink on its users when there are clearly better choices out there. Maybe it is there to try to make additional revenue by upselling their terrible Nav App. Honda should stick to making great cars and leave the "Infotainment" to people who know how to design it.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
I thought CarPlay was pushed back by Apple? I am an Android guy and I am waiting to see if they offer Android Auto (when it is released in late October). Until then I refuse to buy a new Fit (although I have been checking these forums to see if anyone has heard anything).

I think it is a shame that Honda pushes HondaLink on its users when there are clearly better choices out there. Maybe it is there to try to make additional revenue by upselling their terrible Nav App. Honda should stick to making great cars and leave the "Infotainment" to people who know how to design it.
Might be wrong on my part, but I thought it was Honda dragging its feet. I heard that CarPlay was in the works way back in February when I read that "CarPlay will be announced soon", and we are still waiting for that so called "Soon" and that goes for Android capable as well.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
So I have the EX version, but not with Navi - instead I opted to buy the HondaLink and the extension to my iphone (when I get around to it...) I just updated my iphone to the crap iOS8 - has anyone tried it to see if it works? Not gonna buy the converter and app until I know it's ok. I got the same email apologizing about the delay in apps working and it's currnetly in review for remediation.

Other than the Navi attachment, everything else is still working as it was when I bought the car two weeks ago. I did notice, and again, probably user error because this is way too much technology for me, but Siri came on when I pressed the voice command on the steering wheel instead of the voice app for the HondaLink. Did I just hold it for too long or is that now the cool new thing? Because HondaLink's voice recognition and I were not friends.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gina*Baby
So I have the EX version, but not with Navi - instead I opted to buy the HondaLink and the extension to my iphone (when I get around to it...) I just updated my iphone to the crap iOS8 - has anyone tried it to see if it works? Not gonna buy the converter and app until I know it's ok. I got the same email apologizing about the delay in apps working and it's currnetly in review for remediation.

Other than the Navi attachment, everything else is still working as it was when I bought the car two weeks ago. I did notice, and again, probably user error because this is way too much technology for me, but Siri came on when I pressed the voice command on the steering wheel instead of the voice app for the HondaLink. Did I just hold it for too long or is that now the cool new thing? Because HondaLink's voice recognition and I were not friends.
I can confirm that the Navi still works though there are some serious bugs in addition to the already serious bugs that already existed.

By far the biggest issue it seems that the connect app won't load on the infotainment screen. But you can still load the nav app by loading the connect app on your phone, approving the connection (god am I tired of that little quirk) then manually opening the Nav app on your iphone screen instead of waiting for the connect app to finish loading.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensonr2
I can confirm that the Navi still works though there are some serious bugs in addition to the already serious bugs that already existed.

By far the biggest issue it seems that the connect app won't load on the infotainment screen. But you can still load the nav app by loading the connect app on your phone, approving the connection (god am I tired of that little quirk) then manually opening the Nav app on your iphone screen instead of waiting for the connect app to finish loading.
Awesome *sarcasm*. Wish I had known before backing down on the Navi feature. I didn't do a lot of research when I was looking up the car at the dealership, so that's my fault. The dealer was also really adamant (sorry if incorrectly spelled) about me getting the EX versus the EX-L, so I kind of felt pressured, also.

I'll hold out a little longer then.. maybe something will have improved at that point.

Wish I had gotten the Navi. No; better yet, I wish the would offer the Navi on the EX version WITHOUT leather (over leather in the hot summer).

Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gina*Baby
Awesome *sarcasm*. Wish I had known before backing down on the Navi feature. I didn't do a lot of research when I was looking up the car at the dealership, so that's my fault. The dealer was also really adamant (sorry if incorrectly spelled) about me getting the EX versus the EX-L, so I kind of felt pressured, also.

I'll hold out a little longer then.. maybe something will have improved at that point.

Wish I had gotten the Navi. No; better yet, I wish the would offer the Navi on the EX version WITHOUT leather (over leather in the hot summer).
Honda isn't the only manufacturer guilty of this by far; but in this day and age the navi should be at best a 500 dollar option on anything above the most basic trim level.

Even at 500 dollars that should be plenty of profit. And they probably would sell a lot more.

I mean its pretty maddening when you realize everything the navi needs to operates seems to be included on the default head unit; it just needs the maps and to be activated.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Although I do not use Honda link with my iPhone, iOS 8 is working just fine with the 15 Fit. I do have to say, having it plugged into the USB port and being able to say "hey Siri "and for it to respond is absolutely amazing!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:21 PM
...navi should be at best a 500 dollar option...
And I'd still pass on it for a $200 Garmin stand-alone that would have superior features including traffic and a much better navigation engine.

Oh, and the passenger can work with it while you're driving.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
The $1000 Honda Navi, is the worst option I have ever purchased.

When I needed a car, the EXL Fit was the only car available within a three state area. I talked myself into the $1000 up charge for EXL because the dealer added $500 to my trade, I would not have to use up my phone data plan and eliminating a plug in device from the top of the dash was appealing. All I can say is, what a disappointment! Honda Navi does not begin to compare to even least expensive Garmin GPS. Route selection is maddening, graphics tepid and washed out looking, the screen cluttered. Most unbelievable to me is that this $1000 option does not text to speech street names. Honda Navi gives you "Turn left in one half mile", Garmin "Turn left onto Spring Street in one half mile" You need the street name if you are driving in an unfamiliar place!! Honda Navi labels the name of the street you are driving on but does not label the cross streets. Your eyes are constantly(unsafely) drifting back to the screen trying to figure out when to make your turn. Garmin has been labeling and announcing street names for 15 years. When I need to know how to get somewhere, I plug in my Garmin, alas. What a waste of $1000.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
And I'd still pass on it for a $200 Garmin stand-alone that would have superior features including traffic and a much better navigation engine.

Oh, and the passenger can work with it while you're driving.
I understand that almost every standalone gps is far superior.

But I like having it in dash. It looks cleaner, I don't have to worry about wires getting tangles or stuff hanging off the windshield.

I will overpay for a worse product to have it in dash.

I know not everyone agrees. But I think there are enough out there that if auto manufactures made it a slightly more reasonably priced option they would sell far more.

If it was 500 dollars and available on the EX I think it would be a much easier upsell when they have you in the box.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
If it was 500 dollars and available on the EX I think it would be a much easier upsell when they have you in the box.
AGREED! And since the EX is popular for other reasons, like the sunroof and other items, they would make more money selling the Navi for that $500, then upgrading you into the EX-L for an extra $2k because of the leather.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 PM
But I like having it in dash. It looks cleaner, I don't have to worry about wires getting tangles or stuff hanging off the windshield.
That's why, in my present car, I installed my Garmin in the dash! There was a CD storage tray with a door that opened. I made a bracket on the door that holds the GPS and put the wiring in the back of the tray. The door opens, exposing the GPS and closes, hiding it neatly. The GPS is on a switched circuit and Garmins turn on and off with their external power, giving you the option of staying on the internal battery if you're only stopped for a short time.

And. I can pull the unit out any time I need to use it in another car!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by prettyhatem
Just got this email

"Dear HondaLink App User,

As you may know, Apple has recently announced the introduction of its new iPhone 6 mobile devices as well as an updated version of the iOS operating system. ...
Honda is outright lying. iOS 8 was announced on June 2nd, and the beta was available that day. Their engineers had over three months to test compatibility.

"Apple has recently announced the introduction of its new iPhone 6"
This has nothing to do with the iPhone 6, it is deceptive to link this issue with the new iPhone, as the issue also affects the two year old iPhone 5.

"We will ... begin our design and certification processes"

They didn't even begin designing a solution yet???! They had three months to test and begin designing a solution. The purpose of iOS beta's is to allow app developers, such as Honda, to ensure compatibility just like every beta for over five years. Was it a big surprise to Honda that there are compatibility issues with an operating system that their app was not designed to work with? It would take less than one hour to install the iOS 8 beta then take a drive around the block. It is shameful that Honda was too lazy to do this.

Android Auto can not come soon enough. Honda is great at making cars, but terrible at making software.

Last edited by simonx314; 09-22-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda addresses Honda Link issues with iOS8