HDMI port - how are you using it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
HDMI port - how are you using it?

I use my HDMI port to play movies/ photos on my HDTV.

How is the supplied HDMI port intending to be utilized? The owners manual just mentions that it's there.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
i am befuddled on why we have it. does honda think we will bring a portable dvd player into the car to watch movies while sitting in traffic?

i know some newer phones have hdmi out, but i would think that 99.9% of hdmi ports in fits will not be used. i would have preferred an 3.5mm aux in over the hdmi.

last night i got a aux to usb converter, in hopes of connecting the sirius, but it failed. radio would not pick up the signal.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM
The HDMI port can be used to play movies etc... However, it also is used to support their NAV app via the iPhone...

Old 09-21-2014, 06:19 PM
I dont use mine at all. Its pretty much useless. Honda is too damn revenue greedy limiting its use "due to saftey." Fact is the disabling of the hdmi in motion forces people to use the honda navi app instead of the free google maps app.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
I use mine for nothing. I had hoped my kiddo could watch a movie on long road trips. For now she just uses her portable DVD.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 AM
I don't use it, but it could be used to listen to navigation guidance or music, or any other audio signal from a phone with HDMI out.

Possible use cases:
  • Start navigating with Google Maps on your phone, when the car starts moving, you will lose video signal but still be able to hear the lady voice tell you when to turn.
  • Listen to music on your phone, select HDMI as the audio source.

I can't believe the EX/EX-L does not have an aux input. Only the LX does.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
i just filled out my JD power survey, and aside from my transmission debacle, i mentioned the whole aux thing. Perhaps honda make take notice if some of you mention the same thing.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
I do this now through Blue tooth.

Originally Posted by simonx314
I don't use it, but it could be used to listen to navigation guidance or music, or any other audio signal from a phone with HDMI out.

Possible use cases:
  • Start navigating with Google Maps on your phone, when the car starts moving, you will lose video signal but still be able to hear the lady voice tell you when to turn.
  • Listen to music on your phone, select HDMI as the audio source.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM
I have HDMI out on my phone and really hoped to use it for navigation, but of course Honda crippled it for anything other than their own app. So now I guess that I'll be using the phone in a holder to do the same thing which we all know is sooooo much safer!

Honda made the decision to go for the LX a lot easier. Why buy the high-end stuff if it is crippled?

(Actually, I'll be using a Garmin stand-alone, but that isn't much different!)

Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
I do this now through Blue tooth.
Same here. Since any phone that supports HDMI out would almost certainly support bluetooth audio streaming, there are probably few cases where it would be preferable to use the HDMI input. I was just saying that the HDMI port could be used as an audio source.

My hope is that one day, the HDMI lockout while driving is circumvented so we can use Google Maps on the touchscreen.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Well Honda corporate is now monitoring this forum. Maybe if they see this thread and all the other complaints they can take action. The HDMI port to me is useless unless you have full access to it, if its only exclusive to Honda's software why not make it a proprietary connector so customers cannot complain. I hate it when I have a feature I cannot fully utilize for my purposes in a vehicle that I pay for. Paying for something I cannot have/use, that's ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
m_x
I haven't used it once. I'm not interested in the HondaLink app after reading a ton of crappy reviews, and when I have been chilling in Refresh Mode (ie all the time because it's awesome) I'll just watch things directly on my phone. Why pipe into the in-dash display for that? It is at a bad viewing angle, requires a $50 dollar adapter from Apple, and needs the car to be running to not kill the tiny battery.

The only decent functionality would be to mirror your phone while driving to use navigation apps, and since Honda made that impossible, I'd call the HDMI port useless. My HDMI port will probably never get used and only be an interesting note when I show people the car. "Yeah, there's even an HDMI port! It doesn't work for anything, but it's cool to have I guess."

Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a Chromecast plugged into mine all the time. Wish I could use it. I can park and see Google Maps wirelessly from my phone, but of course once you shift to D the screen is blacked out.

I tried HondaLink once on my iPod and it was a nightmare. Not only do I have to waste all 3 of my connectivity options on one device (USB, Bluetooth and HDMI), every time I hit the HondaLink icon it makes me press a securuity confirmation box on the iPod! That is infinitely more distracting than anything that could be shown on the screen through the HDMI port alone.

Last edited by Satertek; 09-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Well Honda corporate is now monitoring this forum. Maybe if they see this thread and all the other complaints they can take action.
If you have already purchased a car your complaints will fall on deaf ears! They already have your money!

I suppose one could install another screen to display the HDMI output from a phone. Of course, by that point you might as well have installed a stand-alone GPS unit and left the phone in your pocket.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
If you have already purchased a car your complaints will fall on deaf ears! They already have your money!

I suppose one could install another screen to display the HDMI output from a phone. Of course, by that point you might as well have installed a stand-alone GPS unit and left the phone in your pocket.

already have a garmin nuvi, but with outdated maps. Just bought a cradle for my galaxy not 2 so I can see it on the dash. just as good as a GPS with free map updates

Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Satertek
I've got a Chromecast plugged into mine all the time. Wish I could use it. I can park and see Google Maps wirelessly from my phone, but of course once you shift to D the screen is blacked out..
That is exactly what I want to do "Nexus 7 tablet running Google Maps (FreedomPop for WiFi access) and linked to the Fit 7" screen via Chromecast.

So does anyone know if one of the wires going to the radio is what tells it that the car is in drive?

I would like to disable it so I can use the HDMI while driving.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
That is exactly what I want to do "Nexus 7 tablet running Google Maps (FreedomPop for WiFi access) and linked to the Fit 7" screen via Chromecast.

So does anyone know if one of the wires going to the radio is what tells it that the car is in drive?

I would like to disable it so I can use the HDMI while driving.
Yes it would be so awesome if someone figured that out!!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 AM
yeah i agree. the hdmi is plain useless. though i might have found a solution to using google maps with the touchscreen. check this out:

CAR Wifi Airplay Miracast FOR Iphone Android Screen Mirroring TO CAR Stereos | eBay

now, does our headunit have a AV input that we can plug this thing into?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by yosoymach
yeah i agree. the hdmi is plain useless. though i might have found a solution to using google maps with the touchscreen. check this out:

CAR Wifi Airplay Miracast FOR Iphone Android Screen Mirroring TO CAR Stereos | eBay

now, does our headunit have a AV input that we can plug this thing into?

No RCA AV jacks available. The HDMI interface is disabled regardless of what you plug into it when the car is moving.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Audio Wiring Diagrams

This thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1269816

has, thanks to user mecevans, wiring diagrams to the FIT audio systems (sheet4 and sheet53).

Can anyone here see a way to override and enable HDMI while driving?

Quick Reply: HDMI port - how are you using it?