Nav input locked out while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 AM
Nav input locked out while driving?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time posting. Interested in getting a Fit, in particular EX-L with Nav. However, I was wondering if the Honda Nav locks you out while driving like they do in a Lexus? If so, I'll skip the Nav and get a garmin. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike_c70
Interested in getting a Fit, in particular EX-L with Nav. However, I was wondering if the Honda Nav locks you out while driving like they do in a Lexus?!
although i do not have factory nav, i have an ex, the radio locks out the simplest tasks once the car is in motion.

yesterday, the wifey tried to edit the bluetooth settings from the pass seat, but was unable to since we were moving.

can someone figure out a hack for this? i am definately not an electronics engineer, so it is definately above my pay grade...

Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
honda navi pros:
7 inch screen
built in xm

honda navi cons:
lockout while driving
no text to speech street names
cross streets not identified
overly busy screen graphics
maddening route selection
road noise at highway speeds results in mis-interpreted navigational voice commands

the convenience of having a built in display is negated by the honda navi's lack of functionality. next time i'll skip this overpriced option, increase my data plan and use my phone. for now, i use the far superior garmin and am looking to buy a pro clip to hold it.

Last edited by Citty-Fitty; 10-02-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM
I couldn’t get the nag because I wanted a manual transmission. Boy am i glad i didn’t give that up just for the lousy nav. I use the voice control to ask siri for directions. It automatically opens my phones maps app and voice guides me where i need to go. Pretty sweet. I just need a good clip to hold my iPhone and i’ll be all set.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
My car doesn't lock anything out while driving that I've noticed.

I've typed in addresses while moving, idk what more it would try to lock out.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
My car doesn't lock anything out while driving that I've noticed.

I've typed in addresses while moving, idk what more it would try to lock out.
Now that's totally confusing. I know my 2010 MDX I can type in new addresses while the car is in motion. It did lock out Bluetooth pairing while the car is in motion, I can live with that.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike_c70
Now that's totally confusing. I know my 2010 MDX I can type in new addresses while the car is in motion. It did lock out Bluetooth pairing while the car is in motion, I can live with that.
Yeah, my mom's accord is the same way. Bluetooth pairing is locked out while moving.

On my way home from work today I'll play with a few things and see if I can find anything that is restricted when in motion.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
Yeah, my mom's accord is the same way. Bluetooth pairing is locked out while moving.

On my way home from work today I'll play with a few things and see if I can find anything that is restricted when in motion.
Please clear all this up, locking out navigation and such would be a total deal breaker for me.

Any chance the car can detect if there is a passenger in the front seat to adjust what level of things are locked?

As an aside, I had an aftermarket Pioneer touch screen deck a few years ago that locked out most things while the car was in motion. I was able to bypass it using some sort of device that tricked it (don't remember what it was called). Maybe something like this exists for Honda head units?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I have 2013 Sport w/ Navi and it locks out typing addresses but you can by voice. B/T is locked out as well. If 12'-13' do it, it def does not surprise me that 3rd gen does. Pretty much anything that needs keyboard or dial pad is locked out after moving over 5 or 10mph however the voice option to input words or numbers is not. It's all in the name of safety and takes liability off HMC.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Skip getting the factory nav/touchscreen and put one in aftermarket. The stock radio is going to lock out any adjustments while in motion for "driver safety". Buy an Alpine or pioneer aftermarket unit, you will get better functionality, better sound, and you won't be locked out of adjustments while driving.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:55 PM
The problem here (at least in Canada) is that the EX version has leather, sunroof, etc., as well...

Old 10-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by cnordt24
Skip getting the factory nav/touchscreen and put one in aftermarket. The stock radio is going to lock out any adjustments while in motion for "driver safety". Buy an Alpine or pioneer aftermarket unit, you will get better functionality, better sound, and you won't be locked out of adjustments while driving.
That's probably the route I'm going to take. I can use my hot-spotted Nexus 7 as my GPS.
It's absolutely idiotic that a passenger cannot change the address whilst driving.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 PM
How well does an aftermarket unit fit in this car? Would it work with the rear view and lane watch cameras?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM
As a follow up - how much control do you have with the steering wheel while the car is in motion?

Part of my reasoning for getting this Fit (I'm currently commuting in a BMW 135i) is for the toys that come with the EX-L Navi and not having to have wires everywhere for external GPS, AUX audio, etc. I'm starting to get worried that I'm taking step backwards in terms of functionality.

Does the navigation in the EX-L offer accident/traffic avoidance? Does it offer alternate routes if there are better options?

Am I able to change radio stations while the car is in motion?

Am I able to change songs playing through BT?

I really don't want to use voice commands for everything I do if it can be avoided.

I'm wondering though - are there any 2014/2015 cars that let you use all this stuff while in motion?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lasersocks
As a follow up - how much control do you have with the steering wheel while the car is in motion?

Part of my reasoning for getting this Fit (I'm currently commuting in a BMW 135i) is for the toys that come with the EX-L Navi and not having to have wires everywhere for external GPS, AUX audio, etc. I'm starting to get worried that I'm taking step backwards in terms of functionality.

Does the navigation in the EX-L offer accident/traffic avoidance? Does it offer alternate routes if there are better options?

Am I able to change radio stations while the car is in motion?

Am I able to change songs playing through BT?

I really don't want to use voice commands for everything I do if it can be avoided.

I'm wondering though - are there any 2014/2015 cars that let you use all this stuff while in motion?
Audio-wise, nothing is restricted. Everything on the touchscreen works for radio functions while moving. And the steering wheel controls are pretty good too.

I don't live in a very traffic-heavy area, so I can't speak for the rerouting stuff, but I do know that it does display traffic incidents, congestion, or construction. Does it do anything to actively avoid it? I don't know.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by cnordt24
you changed the infotainment system in your 3rd gen? I cant see that looking very integrated at all.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:48 PM
It locks you out from typing but you can just use the voice commands while you are driving. No big deal, should not be a deal breaker since you just say it.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM
It locks you out from typing but you can just use the voice commands while you are driving. No big deal, should not be a deal breaker since you just say it.

Does the navigation in the EX-L offer accident/traffic avoidance? Does it offer alternate routes if there are better options? YES, after inputting address you can also view a couple different route options or let it automatically chose best. as long as traffic turned on it will take into account.

Am I able to change radio stations while the car is in motion? YES

Am I able to change songs playing through BT? YES

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina

Does the navigation in the EX-L offer accident/traffic avoidance? Does it offer alternate routes if there are better options? YES, after inputting address you can also view a couple different route options or let it automatically chose best. as long as traffic turned on it will take into account.

Am I able to change radio stations while the car is in motion? YES

Am I able to change songs playing through BT? YES
Very well typed.

People you all need to sit in the car on a nice day for a few hours and read the owners manual. Then use these features a lot and it'll come 2nd nature in a month. The tech in cars is great now. If my 67yo mother can work all the features in her 2013 Civic EX-L w/ Navi (granted its her 3rd acura/Honda with tech pkg) then you can to guys.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM
People you all need to sit in the car on a nice day for a few hours and read the owners manual. Then use these features a lot and it'll come 2nd nature in a month. The tech in cars is great now. If my 67yo mother can work all the features in her 2013 Civic EX-L w/ Navi (granted its her 3rd acura/Honda with tech pkg) then you can to guys. _____
I agree, but as someone buying this car in Canada, no dealership anywhere seems to have anything but an LX - meaning I can't test drive the car I've put a deposit on. These would be things I would totally try out before making a purchase, so a lot of these questions can't be answered on my own.

Quick Reply: Nav input locked out while driving?