USB folder/file size limits on 2015 fits

Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I copied all of my 11,000+ MP3's to one folder on my 128GB flash drive. The Fit only see the first 255 files. So, I think we may have discovered the limitation for the # of files per folder, but I don't know the exact # of folders we can have.

My normal structure (a few thousand folders) topped out at 299 folders in the Fit, but if I were to create new folders of 255 each, that would be only about 45 folders. But now that I have everything in one folder, I am not looking forward to try to separate them into multiple folders!

I may just give up, and go back to smaller drive, and just load/reload songs as I feel the urge.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 PM
I've had good luck with separating into folders, but I only have twelve. Now, I'm trying to figure out how it orders the songs. It seems either in the chronological order I added them to the drive or completely random. Anyone know?

Originally Posted by Skyrm
Well, I copied all of my 11,000+ MP3's to one folder on my 128GB flash drive. The Fit only see the first 255 files. So, I think we may have discovered the limitation for the # of files per folder, but I don't know the exact # of folders we can have.

My normal structure (a few thousand folders) topped out at 299 folders in the Fit, but if I were to create new folders of 255 each, that would be only about 45 folders. But now that I have everything in one folder, I am not looking forward to try to separate them into multiple folders!

I may just give up, and go back to smaller drive, and just load/reload songs as I feel the urge.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
On my smaller drive I have folders for Artist, and then Albums. It seems to play songs in alphabetical order, unless I have track numbers in the front of the file names. And I can't just rename them on the drive - you have to rename them elsewhere, and then recopy to the drive.

Great car, but not the most sophisticated radio.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Old thread, but did anyone ever find out if there is a max number of files or folders you can have? I have a 128gb drive and 81gb song database. When I copy the iTunes music folder to the drive and select the drive it says no data. If I remove most of the folders it works fine.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by raynist
Old thread, but did anyone ever find out if there is a max number of files or folders you can have? I have a 128gb drive and 81gb song database. When I copy the iTunes music folder to the drive and select the drive it says no data. If I remove most of the folders it works fine.
I have limited my folders to about 200 songs each. I have about 12 folders. It's been working fine with this arrangement.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 AM
I know most in this thread are folks using iTunes. I dont use nor every will use iOS products but if you happen to use Windows Media Player, Look on download.com which is on CNET.com, and look for the program "SyncPlaylist". This program allows you to put the playlists you make in Windows Media Player into folders. For example, I tend to have a broad respect for every genre of music minus Country so for example on Highway Trips I listen to Slow R&B so i make a playlist of my Favorite Slow R&B tracks and save it as that gernre. I drive with windows down listening to Armin Van Buuren "A State of Trace" tracks so I make a folder named ASOT Mixes. Then you open the syncplaylist and Pick the location of USB drive E:/ in my case and then add music. Youll see the playlists you just made then sync. Ive never had a number of songs max but i only have a total of 1700 songs but my slow R&B folder has more than 600 tracks and have no issues on my 13' Fit Sport w/ Navigation. I just figured If my head unit has no trouble, a newer models head unit wouldn't. I use a Kingston DataTravelor 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
I see there's another thread where someone discovered by trial and error that the Fit can see 697 folders on a thumb drive. This appears to be about the same as the GE Fit, which, according to the owner's manual, could handle 700 folders and 65,XXX files.

I guess that Honda didn't update the capacity in the GK, but for some reason they left this info out of the owner's manual.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM
I'm revisiting what limitations exist to number of folders and number of songs for the Fit and its Auxiliary Input Jack using a USB flash drive. Any insight is appreciated.

I've realized that my 2019 Fit LX with the lower end color audio does not play more than about half of my music on my 256GB USB flash drive (fob) on the Auxiliary Input Jack. My 256 GB USB fob contains iTunes formatted folders: artist folders at Level 1, Level 2 album folders within the artist folder, and Level 3 songs in the Level 2 album folders. When random folder is active [assume this is active as shown in picture below]. The Fit's AUX plays most often artists A through H only; after driving for 16 hours on a business trip recently - I really noticed how often it disregarded artists I-Z.

Color Audio display shown. Assume the random song button is active.

Last edited by Jazu; 10-16-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: I like editing
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Thank you for the tips - I figured out how to get my 2019 Fit LX to play all 124 GB of music on my SanDisk 128 GB USB flash drive. My USB stick info: SanDisk small format FAT32 formatted drive with 21796 mp3 file structure songs in 673 total folders (main and sub folders) using the iTunes folder structure of music group | album | CD number | song folder structure. I started with 21796 songs and 2400+ total folders - Fit would only play the groups of A-I and would occasionally show a folder number over 700. I spent "quality time" over the Thanksgiving break reorganizing those folders to be music group | song folder structure with a few folders of my favorite groups still in the group | album | CD number | song folder structure. Now all folders and songs (128 to 320 bit rate up to 48000 frequency range) seem to play even though I have more songs than people have claimed will work. Enjoy!