3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Initial impressions of my 2019 Fit

Old 12-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Initial impressions of my 2019 Fit

I am happy to share that I took delivery of a slightly used, silver 2019 Fit EX manual today. It had about 3,200 miles when I purchased it and was previously leased for just two months (not sure of the circumstances - car seems fine to me!). I had test driven it and one other Ď18 EX manual before (plus some longer drives of a 2012 Fit), but today was the first day in which I got to drive one for an extended period of time. Here are some initial impressions from the ~400 mi. trip I took from Massachusetts to Washington, DC:

- lane keep assist is impressive! I quickly learned to trust it and appreciate its ability to help me stay centered in the lane better than I would be able to on my own. It doesnít let you get away without steering at all (nor should it). I tested it on some curves, which it handled very well, but it prompts you with a beep and a ďsteering requiredĒ message. Really love this feature.
- adaptive cruise control is great! Super convenient and worked really well. Makes long highway trips more bearable.
- high revving 6th gear. As many others have mentioned, the manual transmission gearing means that the car gets buzzy and noisy when going at regular highway speeds (and slightly above). I knew this before buying the car and it wasnít a dealbreaker because 98% of the time I will be doing city driving.
- CarPlay did not make the greatest first impression. Iíve played with CarPlay before and knew what to expect, but what I didnít like was that GoogleMaps stopped tracking the car at one point (it may be my phoneís fault) and later in the trip it stopped recognizing my or my girlfriendís phones altogether. Resetting the head unit solved that problem.
- the head unitís software system is...meh. Pretty basic and sometimes confusing. Love the camera features.
- itís comfortable enough for long trips, in my opinion. The seats are fine. I never realized that I like to put my left foot a little underneath the driverís seat sometimes during highway driving. That, of course, isnít possible with the gas tank underneath the seats in the Fit, so I had to make do without being able to do that.
- averaged about 38 mpg with three passengers and luggage going 70-75 mph most of the way, which I was happy about.
- the arm rest isnít as low as I thought.

Iíll post some more thoughts as I get used to the car and drive and park it in the city. Iíve wanted a Fit for a while now and am excited to finally have one! I expect this will be the last manual transmission vehicle Iíll own with all the changing technology...

Has anyone replaced the steering wheel with the leather-wrapped EX-L wheel on a 2018 or 2019 model? Is the process identical to the previously-posted instructions on how to do it? The Honda Sensing made me wonder if there are more electronics to deal with.

The only mods I will likely do include switching to the leather-wrapped wheel (if I can get the right tools and muster up enough courage) and replacing the shift knob and boot with the leather JDM parts. Also cargo cover. The only things it has now that are different are all-weather floor mats and wheel locks, the latter of which Iím not thrilled about. Overall, though, Iím liking this car!

Thanks for reading.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats and welcome! My opinions line up pretty close to yours on the car - overall very happy ~8 months in on my 18 Sport manual.

I too have had Google Maps and Waze stop tracking the car on my 18. Force closing the app on my phone and then reopening on the head unit seems to fix it. Im not sure if its the phone or the unit - but it didn't do this until IOS 12.1.

Again - welcome and congrats on the car!

Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
The only thing I can attest to, is that when I first got my 2016 Honda Fit EX, I really hated the arm rest.
But with the passage of time, I've come to be fine with it. It is low, but that gives me more elbow and arm space. After a while, I stopped looking for it to be high enough to rest my arm on as I drive, and I find I'm fine with just NOT doing that.

Many post purchase, MacGyver like fixes, various strap on pads etc. I've decided to just live with it the way it is. There is advantage to NOT having that space taken up.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM
have a 2018.. I can see how some people with shorter arm lengths might not like it, but my longer arms seem to rest just fine on it.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I donít believe thereís any such thing as a ď2019 Fit.Ē I havenít seen a new Fit in a dealership lot since last spring.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 PM
They are a little scarce because of the plant flood, but they do exist.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM
sjd
Originally Posted by BrokenLimits View Post
They are a little scarce because of the plant flood, but they do exist.
Yup. I saw one in person a couple of weeks ago that had just come in for someone when I was at the dealer ordering mine.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM
I will sell my 2018 Manual EX fully loaded for around what I paid for it

Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
I donít believe thereís any such thing as a ď2019 Fit.Ē I havenít seen a new Fit in a dealership lot since last spring.
There are several 2019ís that show up for sale online, though the selection of Fits in general is pretty limited (especially manual transmissions). The only difference is that 2019ís have auto high beams.

I looked on the door today and discovered that my car was built in May.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM
I have both hands on the steering wheel at all time so the "arm rest" is not an issue to me. It is a bin cover that doesn't matter how low it is.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-03-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 PM
sjd
Originally Posted by Kempsk View Post
The only difference is that 2019’s have auto high beams.

I looked on the door today and discovered that my car was built in May.
The auto high beams are only on the cars with Honda sensing cars so my 2019 will be the same as my 2018. There was also a colour change for 2019 with Platinum White Pearl replacing White Orchid Pearl. I opted for Platinum White Pearl because my 2018 was Orange Fury and I didn't want the exact same car.

Yours being built in May proves that they did build 2019's before the plant flood.

Last edited by sjd; 01-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 PM
For some strange reason Honda cut the 2018 model year short and switched over to making 2019 cars many months before they normally would have. I've never been able to figure out why they did this since the 2018 and 2019 cars are virtually identical and I don't see what advantage there was for Honda in producing 2019 models early.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
anyone got this installed? Interest to see how a real life pic would look.
Best if the BuddyClub logo is not there. That is my turnoff

Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
Anyone got this installed? Interest to see how it looks from a real life pic

Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM
if you check axion armys fb page, a few members have it installed. I must say, it does look rather beautiful

Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM
i have a 2019 fit lx , got it in august , when i put the down payment on it i could have sworn it was for an '18 .
found out it was a '19 when i picked it up

Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 PM
I thought Iíd provide an update since I've now driven my Fit in and around Washington, DC for the past two and a half months (once again, it's silver 2019 EX manual).

What I especially like: its size (street parking), suburbs/highway fuel economy, versatility of back seats, interior/exterior styling, Apple CarPlay, and Honda Sensing.

What I donít especially like: the stock shift knob, 6-speed gearing, tricky clutch, slightly noisy, poor city fuel economy, not the most comfortable seats.

MPG
Iím very pleased, all in all. Iím a little bummed because Iím only averaging 26-27 mpg in my regular commute, but thatís because the majority of my driving is short trips, stop and go, with traffic. A few drives on the GW parkway and out to the suburbs of Bethesda yielded 40-42 mpg according to the carís computer estimate (which I realize isnít perfectly accurate). I don't think there is anything wrong with the car - city driving does not yield good gas mileage in any car.

I couldn't believe how many diapers this thing could hold!

MODS
I didnít love the original shift knob, which I found cheap feeling and too small, so I got the JDM leather-wrapped knob and boot. Much improved and I highly recommend it! I also daringly replaced the steering wheel with the EX-L one (it more or less installed smoothly) which Iím happy with. I figured that the shift knob and steering wheel were good modifications to make given that those are two places you often make contact with. I've also enjoyed having the cargo cover.

STEERING WHEEL
A quick note regarding replacing the steering wheel with the leather one: I am not a mechanically-inclined or especially handy person, so this project was a bit of a challenge for me, but it wasn't that bad overall! If I can do it, you can do it! Most difficult for me was removing the electronic components and trim pieces from one wheel to the other. I had to buy a couple tools to remove the huge hexagonally-indented bolt holding the wheel in place. For anyone that attempts it, you need a 10 mm hex bit and then a 6-inch extension bar connected to a breaker bar (mine was 9-1/2 inches). Also, it seems there is one additional electronic component (Honda Sensing) to remove compared to the 2015-2017's, but it's straight-forward and easy. This is a doable project. Thank you Stembridge!

To remove this bolt, you need a 10 mm hex bit and a 6-inch extension bar plus a breaker bar.

The leather wheel and shift knob/boot. Project complete!

TRANSMISSION
Iím glad to be driving the manual transmission, but I haven't found the clutch to be the easiest to get used to. I also think a five versus six-speed would have been just fine (I often skip the nearly useless fifth gear). Like many have mentioned, Iíd prefer the engine run at lower RPMís in sixth. Also, I found it really interesting to read about the 16/26/35/41/43 recommended shift points in the various threads here. That is more spirited than what I typically shift at (it varies, of course, depending on terrain and traffic, but maybe I usually shift to 2nd at 10-15 mph, 3rd at 20-25, to 4th around 30, and 5th/6th 35-40).

What else? It took me a while to find a comfortable seat/driving position and I'm still not sure. I do miss having a little space underneath the driver's seat to stretch my leg out like in most cars, but oh well. CarPlay has worked great! I love having a sunroof! I like the auto lock feature, but I find it still beeps at me (the bad way) 10% of the time. Maybe I'm standing with the fob too close to the car?

Enjoying my Fit!

Old 05-19-2019, 09:25 AM
I can't really justify the time or expense to replace the steering wheel, but replacing a 2007 AT Sport Fit (leather steering wheel) that was in poor condition with a new 2019 Fit shouldn't feel like a downgrade because of the nasty steering wheel. Where did you source your EX-L steering wheel and how much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 PM
I purchased the leather steering wheel from https://www.bkhondaparts.com/ I have zero regrets.

The part number is 78501-T5A-N21ZA and part name is GRIP *NH900L* [LEA] [DEEP BLACK]

Note that while the wheel is designed for the EX-L, it works perfectly fine even if you have a EX manual like me. There are no noticeable gaps where the paddle shifters go, for example.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Initial impressions of my 2019 Fit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.