3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Coilovers, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Coilovers, worth it?

If I get a new fit I would love to lower it just a bit. Do coilovers typically improve handling while lowering the car as well? Thanks

Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toad37
If I get a new fit I would love to lower it just a bit. Do coilovers typically improve handling while lowering the car as well? Thanks
Yes will improve handling, however your sacrificing comfort. Some people may say your not, but you are. In my subaru i put coilovers and it was awesome for the first few weeks. Then i regretted it everyday haha...

Unless you plan to track the car a lot, I'd save the money

Old 06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza
Yes will improve handling, however your sacrificing comfort. Some people may say your not, but you are. In my subaru i put coilovers and it was awesome for the first few weeks. Then i regretted it everyday haha...

Unless you plan to track the car a lot, I'd save the money
Excellent advice, thanks. Wish there was a way to lower it just a bit without sacrificing the ride.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Sorry for going off topic, but since this thread is about being "worth it" I'll just ask my question here without starting a new thread. I'm planning to buy my fit any day now (Silver or Blue) whichever comes in first, and I was thinking purchasing the nose mask accessory with it.

I think it will go well with blue than the silver? Also, would the nose mask affect the aerodynamics of the car in regards to fuel efficiency. Sounds like a silly question, but I did see it being debated on this board before somewhere, but didn't post anything on it since it was an old thread. Any thoughts are appreciated along with the color matching, black with blue or black with silver?

Last edited by MyFit15; 06-21-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MyFit15
.......nose mask accessory........
In the beginning these were called "bras". From my life back on the mailand, my take is if you do a lot of freeway driving, these prevent all sorts of bug splatter and the odd road debris from damaging the frontal area and paint. I'd take it off for local activities. They aren't meant to be kept on permanently as it could cause dis-coloration over time.

These also weigh around 8 lbs. so its something that will go against an objective of obtaining the best mpg.

Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza
.......Unless you plan to track the car.......
As for coilovers, I totally agree that if you aren't having intentions of tracking the car, the ride quality will differ significantly. Personally, I like that firm ride but at the same time would rather live with my Fit's suspension the way it is on an everyday basis.

That said, have to admit that all the GD & GE that are modded by the FF in the pic section have damn good lookin rides. Lowering will definitely make it look waaay cooler!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-21-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
In the beginning these were called "bras". From my life back on the mailand, my take is if you do a lot of freeway driving, these prevent all sorts of bug splatter and the odd road debris from damaging the frontal area and paint. I'd take it off for local activities. They aren't meant to be kept on permanently as it could cause dis-coloration over time.

These also weigh around 8 lbs. so its something that will go against an objective of obtaining the best MPG
Thanks for that info, it was very helpful. I was thinking of getting the cargo tray & was thinking of the weight of the tray as well. I'm getting the fit because of it's fuel efficiency. I don't want to add more weight to the car.

I'm going to pass on the nose mask & the cargo tray based on your info. I was just going to buy that nose mask because for the looks and also to protect my car from future scratches. I guess I'm going to shop around for a bumper guard kind of like how Volvo has on theirs.

Last edited by MyFit15; 06-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
.......going to pass on the nose mask & the cargo tray.....shop around for a bumper guard kind of like how Volvo has on theirs.
Am not familiar with what Volvo does, but an alternative would be to have a clear plastic film installed on the front bumper and part of the hood. Tint installers should be able to do that for you.

Two of my sons have those on their M3's cause they track their cars regularly. Almost weightless and protects the finish.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Am not familiar with what Volvo does, but an alternative would be to have a clear plastic film installed on the front bumper and part of the hood. Tint installers should be able to do that for you.

Two of my sons have those on their M3's cause they track their cars regularly. Almost weightless and protects the finish.
Great alternative, yeah the bumper guard does have adhesives that sticks to the bumper. Don't know how that will pan out in the long run with the paint after removal. The film on the other hand is a safer alternative. Thanks again

Old 06-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
...bumper guard does have adhesives.....
Just thinking about stick-on bumper guards makes me visualize a car will have a "I wanna look different - made in China" look to it. Am very glad you decided against that route.
In the end, am hoping your model and color of choice arrives soon cause I know mine won't!!!
Since you have picked yours out, stick with it and don't let those sales guys "switch and bait" you into anything else.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Good info guys. Isn't that clear 3m stuff good as a bra replacement? That way you don't have to worry about the looks of the bra.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Just thinking about stick-on bumper guards makes me visualize a car will have a "I wanna look different - made in China" look to it. Am very glad you decided against that route.
In the end, am hoping your model and color of choice arrives soon cause I know mine won't!!!
Since you have picked yours out, stick with it and don't let those sales guys "switch and bait" you into anything else.
Thanks to you I won't have that cheap look on my car Speaking about the Bait and Switch thing, I had this Honda sales person call me and tried really desperately to get get me to come and drive their newly arrival of the ex models.

Even after I told him I wanted a EX-L/navi, he's like that's okay, with the ex's you can still have that option via app. I told him I still wanted EX-L/navi and I will shop around. Thinking he would say okay have a nice day. He was going on about how they are number one and so on.

He even try to tell me how these cars are on high demand that I have to wait for another two months for shipments, that this is your oppurtunty. I should have told him, if you are number one, you wouldn't be receiving these new cars every two months. I did however tell him I'll that that opportunity and shop elsewhere & hanged up the phone. What a slimy sales tactic.

This other sales person even tried to sell me an ex with leather seats install from the dealer. I'm like really? This is how desperate these guys are? I even yelped about it, about the first sales person at least.

So yeah, I'm just going to wait. I'm working with this honest sales person that I know personally, I can't trust anyone else.

Last edited by MyFit15; 06-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Coilovers are great because you can lower your car exactly how much you want instead of being limited to however low just the lowering springs go. Different companies make different coilivers. Look for one with the same spring rate as your vehicle and the ride should be similar. Coilovers may also come with adjustable shocks which may help stiffen/soften the ride. I went with Progress springs on my GD3 and wished I had gone with coilovers to begin with.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by DWils
Coilovers are great because you can lower your car exactly how much you want instead of being limited to however low just the lowering springs go. Different companies make different coilivers. Look for one with the same spring rate as your vehicle and the ride should be similar. Coilovers may also come with adjustable shocks which may help stiffen/soften the ride. I went with Progress springs on my GD3 and wished I had gone with coilovers to begin with.
Thanks, that is excellent information!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 PM
You can do a lot with coilovers, especially if they are adjustable.

if you get a 16 way or 32 way, there is very small probability that you will sacrifice comfort, as you will be able to adjust damping and height virtually anywhere.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hannyah
You can do a lot with coilovers, especially if they are adjustable.

if you get a 16 way or 32 way, there is very small probability that you will sacrifice comfort, as you will be able to adjust damping and height virtually anywhere.
Thanks, I'll do some research but I like the idea of them for sure.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 PM
The Fit is so low now the front almost scrapes the asphalt going in and out of some parking lots. Any lower and your asking for big trouble.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by rosienme
The Fit is so low now the front almost scrapes the asphalt going in and out of some parking lots. Any lower and your asking for big trouble.
I spent more time test driving it. Unfortunately, I'm just a little too tall to fit comfortably. I'm going with the Accord. Envious of you shorter people. :-)

Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by toad37
I spent more time test driving it. Unfortunately, I'm just a little too tall to fit comfortably. I'm going with the Accord. Envious of you shorter people. :-)
So the Accord has more headroom and/or legroom? I haven't been in a 2015, but I'm 6'2"/1.88m and have plenty of headroom and have to scoot the driver's seat forward a little.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by DWils
So the Accord has more headroom and/or legroom? I haven't been in a 2015, but I'm 6'2"/1.88m and have plenty of headroom and have to scoot the driver's seat forward a little.
The Accord has tons more legroom upfront. Headroom was fine for me on the Fit though.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
1.) The Fit is not low in stock form. You'll never scrape unless you drive up a 6"+ curb.

2.) No matter what coilovers you get, you're sacrificing significant amounts of ride quality. 16/32/∞ way adjustability does nothing to change that, generally the more adjustability advertised, the worse the damper anyway.

3.) Think very hard before you modify your Fit. You will most likely regret sinking money into a Fit, it will not make the car super fun to drive, its just not possible without re-engineering the suspension from the ground up; it will not make it look all that rad; you'll never even begin to get your money back from a part out (ask me how I know).

The Fit (and other modern econoboxes) are best enjoyed in stock form. And this is coming from someone who spent a fairly sizable amount of cash doing the opposite; and one who has no qualms with modifying something else.

Quick Reply: Coilovers, worth it?