3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Tire recommendations - Michelin Premier vs General Altimax RT43

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Tire recommendations - Michelin Premier vs General Altimax RT43

Wondering if I should go with RT43 instead of Michelin. Michelin's are for $141 and RT43 is available for $101. Not many options available in Sams. They are giving me $60 discount for each tire as a warranty for previous tire purchase. They are not allowing me to go with next size up this time which is 205-50R16. They have 205-55R16 which might be big and heavy. Is it good idea to go with RT43 over Michelin and save some money. They are expensive but they might provide better stability to car. My current Goodyear tires are very bad during wet conditions. I bought Michelin. I would like to go and change it to RT43 based on feedback here.

Last edited by ritholtz; 02-24-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Love my Michelin Premier. Just got them from Costco a few months ago. Boom.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
If it were me, it would be a no-brainer, get the Michelins. Last two cars had Michelin Defender and Hydroedge; both did very well in rain where other tires tended to slide all over.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I also upgraded to Michelin Premiers, and they transform the car's ride, handling, comfort, and noise.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Derk, Bargainguy and exl500,
Thanks for the feedback. i will stick with premiers order. Samsclub placed a order for me.They gave me $60 per tire discount as a warranty adjustment. They are going to do warranty adjustment on premiers based on discounted price ($81) instead of full price ($141) next time. This warranty adjustment is a scam. Hopefully I can ride on these new tires for 60k miles and no need to go through this warranty adjustment scam.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
If it were me, it would be a no-brainer, get the Michelins. Last two cars had Michelin Defender and Hydroedge; both did very well in rain where other tires tended to slide all over.
My existing good year tires are very bad. Stability lights are keep popping up during wet conditions.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I also upgraded to Michelin Premiers, and they transform the car's ride, handling, comfort, and noise.
Hoping for big improvement noise and braking.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I went with the RT43s in 205/50/16 and I'm happy with them. Never had the Michelins so can't compare, but I appreciated the lower cost. I think it was around 420 installed.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

Deep sipes to the base of the Defenders .

Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
205/55/16 is going to be a taller tire. Not sure if it'll rub hitting bumps. If you're in snow, it may stick to the tire and hit the wheel wells.

205/50/16 would be a closer match.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member

Here's the GENERAL Altimax RT43 T + H with sipes to base of tire . The T sipes are to the base at the center and get shallow as the extend to the outer edge . The H are the opposite . Hope pictures help .

Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Odie - thanks for those pictures. I never noticed there was a difference. I have the h rated ones

Old 09-22-2022, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Are these Michelin Premier tires still good ones to go for? I have a slow air leak for rear tire. Discount tire person was recommending to replace all 4 as my threads down to 3. I am really not sure about this. I can see plenty of thread. I am gong to Samsclub to check it out. I purchased Michelin Premiers from Sams.

Last edited by ritholtz; 09-22-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
I am not seeing Michelin Premier available anywhere. Any other tire recommendations? I need to replace it again.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
I have the altimax. Compared with the Michelin I had before, the altimax are better all-year cold weather tires (I wanted to stop with the winter swap). but overall the ride quality is not as good. It is especially noticeable not so much in winter, where they feel good, but in summer, when most tires should be supple and these CLONK into every pothole. Maybe in Dallas with smooth highways youll be happier with them than up here in MA.

Michelin discontinued the tire because they didn't last long enough and people complained, according to the tire guy. Mine lasted only 15k before getting a bubble and low tread, so that checks out.

I had to buy these altimax during the pandemic when there were tire shortages, but today I'd look for other options if you want a better tire - not going to find them as cheap as at Costco Sam's, I'm afraid. No free lunch.

it's worth noting my dad also got the altimax for his Fit and he's very happy. Personally I think they would be more appealing to drivers of large, heavy cars instead, which in fairness to General is mostly what people drive now.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:36 PM
My experience is that the Altimaxes are good winter tires -- for all-seasons. But they do ride kind of harsh in other conditions. So if you don't need to deal with snow except on rare days, I'd look for something else.

Michelin Defenders came with my Fit and I drove them for a month or so before I switched to winter tires (Minnesota; Michelin X-Ices). The Defenders seemed to grip well enough and deal with water on the road and they feel quick which makes driving more fun. But Michelins, aftermarket, usually aren't cheap. On other cars I've had experience with Bridgestone's Ecopia and Yokohama's exclusive tire for Discount Tire. The Ecopias were fine and didn't kill fuel mileage like some tires can. The Yokohamas were on my wife's car. They were fine too. Tough, good grip. The problem there is if something happens to one of the tires out of warranty and DT doesn't sell them any longer. But I would be interested in buying Yoks again if they weren't a dealer exclusive.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I have the altimax. Compared with the Michelin I had before, the altimax are better all-year cold weather tires (I wanted to stop with the winter swap). but overall the ride quality is not as good. It is especially noticeable not so much in winter, where they feel good, but in summer, when most tires should be supple and these CLONK into every pothole. Maybe in Dallas with smooth highways youll be happier with them than up here in MA.

Michelin discontinued the tire because they didn't last long enough and people complained, according to the tire guy. Mine lasted only 15k before getting a bubble and low tread, so that checks out.

I had to buy these altimax during the pandemic when there were tire shortages, but today I'd look for other options if you want a better tire - not going to find them as cheap as at Costco Sam's, I'm afraid. No free lunch.

it's worth noting my dad also got the altimax for his Fit and he's very happy. Personally I think they would be more appealing to drivers of large, heavy cars instead, which in fairness to General is mostly what people drive now.
I have Costco membership. My last tires (Michelin premier) are bought from Sams. I do not have Sams membership. But i can buy a membership and see if the offer any warranty discount. Are Walmart/Discount tire better options? They seem to have large selection of Fit size tires to choose form?

Old 01-18-2024, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve-o
My experience is that the Altimaxes are good winter tires -- for all-seasons. But they do ride kind of harsh in other conditions. So if you don't need to deal with snow except on rare days, I'd look for something else.

Michelin Defenders came with my Fit and I drove them for a month or so before I switched to winter tires (Minnesota; Michelin X-Ices). The Defenders seemed to grip well enough and deal with water on the road and they feel quick which makes driving more fun. But Michelins, aftermarket, usually aren't cheap. On other cars I've had experience with Bridgestone's Ecopia and Yokohama's exclusive tire for Discount Tire. The Ecopias were fine and didn't kill fuel mileage like some tires can. The Yokohamas were on my wife's car. They were fine too. Tough, good grip. The problem there is if something happens to one of the tires out of warranty and DT doesn't sell them any longer. But I would be interested in buying Yoks again if they weren't a dealer exclusive.
Thanks for the information. These 3 seems to be mentioned in other threads,
Bridgestone WeatherPeak
BF Goodrich Comp-2
Yokohama avid acend gt
Thanks

Old 01-19-2024, 09:40 AM
Bridgestone WeatherPeak
BF Goodrich Comp-2
Yokohama avid acend gt
The WeatherPeak is an all-weather tire. It's different from the other two. If you have any more than a few days of snow where you live (or if you can't just stay home in snowy weather) the Bridgestone will be your best bet of the three. Might be better than the Altimax, too, which is not an all-weather tire but an all-season tire (marketing mumbojumbo but there you are). General does sell an all-weather tire, the Altimax 365, which may be available where you live. If you even need an all-weather tire.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve-o
The WeatherPeak is an all-weather tire. It's different from the other two. If you have any more than a few days of snow where you live (or if you can't just stay home in snowy weather) the Bridgestone will be your best bet of the three. Might be better than the Altimax, too, which is not an all-weather tire but an all-season tire (marketing mumbojumbo but there you are). General does sell an all-weather tire, the Altimax 365, which may be available where you live. If you even need an all-weather tire.
I am in dfw. I guess i do not need to worry about few days of snow. WeatherPeak's are very expensive.
I went to check Discount tire. They are recommending Yokohama YK-GTX over Avid Ascend GT. GTX/GT's are available in 205-50R16 size as well for few dollars more. These are classified as best in their website as well for around $140 per tire. Better ones are going for $90- $100 range. These are, Falken Sincera SN250, Falken Ziex. Thinking about going with Falken Sincera or Ziex ones. These both have good ratings on DT and WMT. Is it worth up sizing to 205-50R16. GTX and GT's are available in 205 size.

Last edited by ritholtz; 01-20-2024 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations - Michelin Premier vs General Altimax RT43