3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Best brand of wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Best brand of wheel locks?

Hi all,

Just picked up my new 2015 Fit EX in Alabaster Silver (super excited) and I'm wanting to get all the good accessories put in/on.

I am doing the LED replacement guides found on here, I'll be picking up the Weathertech floor mats, and my other want is for some wheel locks.

The question is, which brand? I saw Gorilla makes some, I've read the OEM can be bypassed with a hammer, but maybe that's wrong.

I tried searching and didn't seem to find any brand discussion.

Thanks much!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Honda's OEM wheel locks for around $54. It won't 100% prevent wheel thefts but should be ok 99% of the time.

Bypassed with a hammer? More like vice grip lock pliers to me. It would be hard but not impossible to get the locks off without being noticed.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fragchild
We purchased the Honda OEM, and found out that they are actually made by "McCard", which is a big name in the wheel lock business.

The real question is do you want one wheel lock per rim, which is the traditional approach, or do you want to purchase a set of wheel locks to replace each lug nut. I noticed Gorilla sells a large set to do just that.

I think your risk of losing your alloy wheels is directly related to the determination of the guy willing to steal them. The idea of having just one wheel lock per rim, will deter a large percentage of "would be" thieves, but even wheel locks replacing every lug nut won't stop the smaller percentage of highly motivated thieves, which is why we are sticking with the "one per rim" rule.

Also remember, with wheel locks comes the responsibility to make sure either you or the guy rotating your tires, does not use pneumatic air tools when dealing with your wheel locks. The paperwork that comes with the Honda OEM (McCard) wheel locks clearly states;

"NOTICE: Use of an impact wrench may cause permanent damage to the lock and key".

The correct part number for the Honda Fit (EX+), Wheel Locks is: P/N 08W42-SCV-101.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-06-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Mcgard is way to go

Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
just get the standard ones. Park next to fancier cars. It's still a honda...

You overthink things and do something like the guy who put 4 different wheel locks on each tire, and then the first time you go to a tire shop, they'll get confused or mess things up or lose one of your 4 keys.

So also consider all the extra trouble and hassle "costs" more than just the initial money, for imagined marginal benefit.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
honda wheel locks

I think the Honda locks will do fine as any good crook given enough time can get anything off. It is just a matter of how bad they want them and how much effort they are willing to put out. I have the Honda locks on my ES and feel pretty safe.

James

Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by DArkk
I have the Honda's OEM wheel locks for around $54. It won't 100% prevent wheel thefts but should be ok 99% of the time.

Bypassed with a hammer? More like vice grip lock pliers to me. It would be hard but not impossible to get the locks off without being noticed.
From what I'd read you can just hammer on a wrench to force the right fit, but as everyone has pointed out, you just want to make it harder for them so they move on.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks all, just purchased the OEM locks. I appreciate your input!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by the_oswald
Thanks all, just purchased the OEM locks. I appreciate your input!
Sound move!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't think any one would be interested in stealing my steel wheels May be I should find a lock for the OEM hub caps. That seem to be going missing a lot these days.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjcentral
I don't think any one would be interested in stealing my steel wheels May be I should find a lock for the OEM hub caps. That seem to be going missing a lot these days.
You mean hitting the curb and they go boing? lol

Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
The honda (mcguard) nuts can be fragile/

Name:  lug02.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  53.9 KB

The Gorilla (external spline) design is more robust.

The problem with any of these is that it is possible to create a "universal" key. They'll slow down the rank amateur, but if someone wants your wheels they'll get them.

Also, If you have wheel locks you're more likely to get a broken window in the bargain as the thief goes for the key in the car.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The honda (mcguard) nuts can be fragile/

Also, If you have wheel locks you're more likely to get a broken window in the bargain as the thief goes for the key in the car.
True but that would set off the alarm. Also, make it hard to find the key in the car so don't keep it in the glove box or next to the spare tire.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
True but that would set off the alarm. Also, make it hard to find the key in the car so don't keep it in the glove box or next to the spare tire.
The new Fits have a motion sensing alarm? The GD doesn't have a bump alarm so smashing a window won't trigger it. Open the door will.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Those locks won't save you. A decent wheel lock removal tool can remove them in seconds.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I guess my thought is for 40 bucks if it has a chance of making it a bit tougher for some one to jack em, maybe they'll just move on to the next car.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
I guess my thought is for 40 bucks if it has a chance of making it a bit tougher for some one to jack em, maybe they'll just move on to the next car.
Yep. Thieves don't like to spend alot of time stealing something so yeah this will help unless they are determined to get it.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I consider them "visual" deterrents. Given a choice, I think a would be thief will pick a car without wheel locks over a car with wheel locks.

If that does not work, my backup plan is called "STATE FARM".

Old 11-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Gorilla 38431N w one key $15 free ship on eBay

I figured $15 was enough to pay to lock down standard DX rims/tires. It comes blister packed with one key. This style has the key teeth on outside of the nut. If you want a 2nd key, mail a check for $10.

Quick Reply: Best brand of wheel locks?