3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Worn out tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Worn out tires.

Took car for servicing with 14900 miles. Front tires are left with 3 32nds and 2 32nds. Discount tire recommends replacing tires when they are down to 4 32nds. Do we have any warranty with honda for tire life? Aren't these suppose to lost for at least 30k. Any one contacted Honda regarding this.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
I replaced the stock junk Dunlaps at 20,000 as they were past the wear bars. My new Michelins look brand new after 10,000. What would it have cost Honda to put quality tires on in the first place?

I see the new HR-V has Michelins while a new Fit EX still comes with some off brand crap that will need replacement before 15-20,000 miles.

Also, my new tires are soooo much quieter.

Mike

Old 05-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
YMMV. Still have my stock Dunlops with probably a little over 20k wear on them. Currently at 6/32s so prolly one season left. Granted I have winter tires in between they have lasted almost 4 years now.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 PM
If you aren't down to the wear bars yet, rotating the tires (assuming you haven't) might get you close to another 10K miles before they're all down to the wear bars. The front tires wear much more quickly than the rears because they do more (steer, power, and brake) while carrying more weight.

(There are some who say, not entirely without reason, that the tires with the better traction be on the rear to prevent oversteer in dicy handling conditions. Between the very strong bias of the Fit towards understeer and the electronic stability control, this in my opinion is not a big concern for a Fit.)

Old 05-18-2016, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit8175
I replaced the stock junk Dunlaps at 20,000 as they were past the wear bars. My new Michelins look brand new after 10,000. What would it have cost Honda to put quality tires on in the first place?

I see the new HR-V has Michelins while a new Fit EX still comes with some off brand crap that will need replacement before 15-20,000 miles.

Also, my new tires are soooo much quieter.

Mike
Thanks for the information. Did you contact Honda for any warranty?

Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
If you aren't down to the wear bars yet, rotating the tires (assuming you haven't) might get you close to another 10K miles before they're all down to the wear bars. The front tires wear much more quickly than the rears because they do more (steer, power, and brake) while carrying more weight.

(There are some who say, not entirely without reason, that the tires with the better traction be on the rear to prevent oversteer in dicy handling conditions. Between the very strong bias of the Fit towards understeer and the electronic stability control, this in my opinion is not a big concern for a Fit.)
I did tire rotation.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
My Fit was shipped with a bad axle (replaced under warranty), so my right rear tire wore abnormally fast. With about 16,000 miles on the OEM Firestones, I'm down to 2-3/32 on that tire (now on the front), one is at 4/32 and two are at 5/32.

I'm getting all four replaced. Very disappointed with the stock Firestone tires. Yes, I asked, but Honda wouldn't cover the worn tire, even though it was their defect that caused it to wear abnormally.

Any tire warranty would be through the tire manufacturer. Check your paperwork you got with the car. There should be a separate tire warranty. I doubt very much there is any warranty for treadwear on the OEM tires, though.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-19-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Took car for servicing with 14900 miles. Front tires are left with 3 32nds and 2 32nds. Discount tire recommends replacing tires when they are down to 4 32nds. Do we have any warranty with honda for tire life? Aren't these suppose to lost for at least 30k. Any one contacted Honda regarding this.

Thanks

First of all, I wouldn't believe what Discount tire employee says with the measurement. I am sure they clearly use a non digital tread dept gauge, get yourself a digital tread dept gauge and you can do the measurement yourself, and don't be surprised when your # aren't the same as from what the discount tire said.

On 4/32, replacement on the tires. That would depend on how you feel about the tires and the condition you are in. Rain/snow, you would want more dept on the tread, while during the summer without the rain, you don't need as much tread. Anyway, for your ref, directly from NHTSA on tread dept and replacement.

If I am in your shoes, I would:
1) Get a digital tread dept gauge and do my own measurement
2) If tread is low, depending on how low, I would replace them at one of Discount tire's holiday sales (Memorial, 4th of July, or Labor Day).
3) I would not recommend replacing with the same OEM's Firestone FR740 tires. I am sure there are better options for better prices out there.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
The Dunlop tires on my 2010 Fit Sport lasted 40,000 miles which was at the wear bars. I replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S tires with a 60,000 mile warranty.

The 2016 Fit LX that I just bought has Firestone tires on it. When they wear out I will replace them with Michelin Defender tires with a 90,000 mile warranty.

OEM tires in general especially on subcompact and non sport cars are typically low cost tires and you can not expect to get great wear or handling from them. Depending on your driving style and the roads you drive on expecting 30,00 miles from them would not be unreasonable however.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm at 28k miles and original tires pretty thin!!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM
No wear guarantee on OEM tires.

Might try Michelin Defenders.I used them on a Corolla and they are great. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports magazine. Prorated 90K mile wear out warranty from Michelin.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
First of all, I wouldn't believe what Discount tire employee says with the measurement. I am sure they clearly use a non digital tread dept gauge, get yourself a digital tread dept gauge and you can do the measurement yourself, and don't be surprised when your # aren't the same as from what the discount tire said.

On 4/32, replacement on the tires. That would depend on how you feel about the tires and the condition you are in. Rain/snow, you would want more dept on the tread, while during the summer without the rain, you don't need as much tread. Anyway, for your ref, directly from NHTSA on tread dept and replacement.

If I am in your shoes, I would:
1) Get a digital tread dept gauge and do my own measurement
2) If tread is low, depending on how low, I would replace them at one of Discount tire's holiday sales (Memorial, 4th of July, or Labor Day).
3) I would not recommend replacing with the same OEM's Firestone FR740 tires. I am sure there are better options for better prices out there.

What is wrong with a conventional gauge? Nothing, have you thrown away all your tape measures yet? How do you know the digital gauge was not dropped 2 times and it is now very inaccurate. As long as it is a quality conventional gauge it is very accurate. My God, it is only in /32. I worked in a tire store for 3 years and all of ours matched dead nuts.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I just rotated my tires yesterday at 26k and I was between 5/32 - 6/32. I think I can get 35k before needing to be replaced.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mainia
What is wrong with a conventional gauge? Nothing, have you thrown away all your tape measures yet? How do you know the digital gauge was not dropped 2 times and it is now very inaccurate. As long as it is a quality conventional gauge it is very accurate. My God, it is only in /32. I worked in a tire store for 3 years and all of ours matched dead nuts.
Nothing wrong with conventional gauge, but with digital you get a more accurate reading out of it. What is wrong with getting a digital and get an accurate reading on your own instead of depending on what Discount/America's Tires staffs to tell you. And are you telling me that all staffs at Discount/America's Tires don't try to upsell you nor try to get you to replace tires when they aren't necessary yet. What is wrong with get a more accurate reading and making a better decision than depending on staffs at Discount/America's tires only?

"Average new tires used on cars typically start with 10/32" to 11/32" of original tread depth. " So, yes, the only /32 means something. But the dif between 4/32 and 2/32 is HUGE!

More ref.

Do you trust everything the people at Discount/America's Tires tell you? Dealers?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:55 PM
...I am sure they clearly use a non digital tread dept gauge, get yourself a digital tread dept gauge and you can do the measurement yourself,...
Or, just take a penny, and insert it into the tread. If you can't see the top of Lincoln's head you have sufficient tread depth.

Digital gauge: Spend $15-$25, hope that it is calibrated and that the battery isn't dead.

Penny, cost $0.01, always calibrated, no batteries, and you probably have one in the pocket right now!

The great majority of tire wear occurs on the front tires, as they steer, brake, and power. The rear tires basically hold the rear of the car off of the ground so they don't wear much. If you don't rotate them regularly the fronts will wear out long before the rears.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Nothing wrong with conventional gauge, but with digital you get a more accurate reading out of it. What is wrong with getting a digital and get an accurate reading on your own instead of depending on what Discount/America's Tires staffs to tell you. And are you telling me that all staffs at Discount/America's Tires don't try to upsell you nor try to get you to replace tires when they aren't necessary yet. What is wrong with get a more accurate reading and making a better decision than depending on staffs at Discount/America's tires only?

"Average new tires used on cars typically start with 10/32" to 11/32" of original tread depth. " So, yes, the only /32 means something. But the dif between 4/32 and 2/32 is HUGE!

More ref.

Do you trust everything the people at Discount/America's Tires tell you? Dealers?

Makes sense on those explanations why these OEM tires wear out so fast. Its always been business and sales persons will give good explanation to replace stuffs.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Or, just take a penny, and insert it into the tread. If you can't see the top of Lincoln's head you have sufficient tread depth.
Yep, simple and accurate ... and cheap like George says.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing wrong with conventional gauge, but with digital you get a more accurate reading out of it.
How does being "digital" make it more accurate?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sticking with my "analog" tread gage. It's simple to read, and it never has a dead battery.

By the way, I went with a set of Cooper CS3 tires for the Fit EX in the stock size. So far I'm liking them. Very smooth and quiet, good traction, and 1/3 less $$ than the stock Firestones. Also, made in the USA.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
How does being "digital" make it more accurate?
Digital leaves less wiggle room for interpretation. If they look at an old school depth gauge a certain way, they can read it differently and still pretend to themselves they're being honest. A digital gauge reports a number and that's the number. They can lie about it, but they have to go jump in with both feet and lie. So by having a digital gauge, they're attacking the assumption that they're fudging the numbers. Then you've got lube shops treating their workers like crap and not having confidence in them either...

Blatantly lying about clearly observable facts happens all the time in politics, but techs are less comfortable doing it. Something about failing a car on a safety inspection and later having a state trooper ask them to explain again exactly how the part fails.

Quick Reply: Worn out tires.