camera question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
camera question

hey guys,

for those of you who are camera gurus or know about dslr...whats a good entry level camera?

the reason i ask is because my co worker is selling his Canon T1i with the stock lens for $500. she said it barely took 1000 pictures or something (whatever that means). is that a good deal?

thanks guys

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I haven't shopped cameras in a long time. Just be aware. Yesterdays camera has about the same value as yesterdays cell phone or yesterdays computer. That might be a slight exageration but there are just too many changes going on and it doesn't take long for things to become almost obsolete.

Perhaps check your local camera shop and get their opinion. It might well be worth the time.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
if it were me, and that's not always good ..... for $100 or so more, I'd buy new with a factory warranty.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
its a fair okay price andy

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
what do you have vinn?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
if it were me, and that's not always good ..... for $100 or so more, I'd buy new with a factory warranty.
Or Costco has a pack for $929 for two lenses a bag and some other goodies. I almost picked it up.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
don't buy anything and wait for peter to come back from vacation.

what type of shooting are you planning on doing and what's your price range?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
i am a newbie and want to learn photography. i plan to do people shots and scenery shots. my price range is under $600

Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
i am a newbie and want to learn photography. i plan to do people shots and scenery shots. my price range is under $600
You have many many choices. Here's something to get you thinking: A Rookie Guide to Digital SLR Cameras | Mike Industries

I shoot with an Olympus E-420. I like it for its quality and size. Sort of why I like my FIT come to think of it. I've been an Olympus fan for over 30yrs, starting with the OM-1.

Once you invest in a camera I would strongly suggest Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. This is a first class digital darkroom with all the editing capabilities a pro needs.

Now others will have lots to say and no one can say they are wrong, however, a quality DSLR and lightroom can do it all. It all isn't about CS5.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
is that with lens?

save up a bit more and get a refurb/used 40D or you can get a 30D now and a 50mm 1.8.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
is that with lens?

save up a bit more and get a refurb/used 40D or you can get a 30D now and a 50mm 1.8.
quoted for the truth, I highly recommend this route If your truly going into photography.

now if your just like most people out there just shoot for fun and wants to have a a dslr and treat it as a point and shoot then the canon t1i is good enough for you. For the price she is selling for ITS AN OK PRICE. You can easily find one brand new for about 100 bux more online plus cost of shipping. Try to get if for 450 and that would be fair. Even if she said its barely used, it is still used.

If you really want to get to specifics the canon rebel/t series has a cheap build quality than the intermediate level cameras (40D, 50D, etc. ) which brings the cost down to a consumer level. Now i'm not saying they suck. But in the right hands and equipment amazing images is 100% totally possible.

If your not planning to do anything fancy and just shoot for fun and knows how to take care of things just get the canon t1i and invest in lens. Lens is what really brings the images alive the body just saves the information.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by nghtrydr23
quoted for the truth, I highly recommend this route If your truly going into photography.

now if your just like most people out there just shoot for fun and wants to have a a dslr and treat it as a point and shoot then the canon t1i is good enough for you. For the price she is selling for ITS AN OK PRICE. You can easily find one brand new for about 100 bux more online plus cost of shipping. Try to get if for 450 and that would be fair. Even if she said its barely used, it is still used.

If you really want to get to specifics the canon rebel/t series has a cheap build quality than the intermediate level cameras (40D, 50D, etc. ) which brings the cost down to a consumer level. Now i'm not saying they suck. But in the right hands and equipment amazing images is 100% totally possible.

If your not planning to do anything fancy and just shoot for fun and knows how to take care of things just get the canon t1i and invest in lens. Lens is what really brings the images alive the body just saves the information.
50D is what I use. LOVE IT. It feels like a camera. G10 is my P&S.

I'm thinking of eventually getting a 5D classic as my second body.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I heard alot of people actually getting rid for their 50D's and replacing them with 40D's. Also know a few people who went from 40D then upgraded to 50D and felt like the upgrades on the 50D was worthless. Ive yet to use one myself but I like the polish knob LOL

5D mkI? Its a good camera and still is but in my opinion if your gonna shell out that much might as well get something current (5DMKII) so your gear is still top of the list for the atleast the next 5 years plus you can take HD videos.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I heard alot of people actually getting rid for their 50D's and replacing them with 40D's. Also know a few people who went from 40D then upgraded to 50D and felt like the upgrades on the 50D was worthless. Ive yet to use one myself but I like the polish knob LOL

5D mkI? Its a good camera and still is but in my opinion if your gonna shell out that much might as well get something current (5DMKII) so your gear is still top of the list for the atleast the next 5 years plus you can take HD videos.
You can get a used 5DmkI for around 1k sometimes though.

I love the 50D. The noise is kinda bad but I'm always shooting in good light so I'm usually at ISO 100.

Not a big fan of the HD video feature on newer cameras but I understand that that's the direction everything is headed. A friend of mine is buying a 7D to use as his primary video camera.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
i have an xti andy
got it for $375 with extra battery pack + batteries then spent another $40 on a bag from peter

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
What is this....I hear my name in this thread few time....

Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

Actually original 5D is great for people who just want to go into full frame and without breaking the bank because it around $900 to $1200 and sometime include grip too! Almost all my film interns from Chapman Film School are using 5D MKII just for videography only because lightweight and easy to use and they can use my L lens too.... LoL but for what output and result are just beautiful HD at 1080x 1920 at 24p and cost about $2k compare to Panasonic AG-HVX200 which about $4k

Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by azncarbos
Actually original 5D is great for people who just want to go into full frame and without breaking the bank because it around $900 to $1200 and sometime include grip too! Almost all my film interns from Chapman Film School are using 5D MKII just for videography only because lightweight and easy to use and they can use my L lens too.... LoL but for what output and result are just beautiful HD at 1080x 1920 at 24p and cost about $2k compare to Panasonic AG-HVX200 which about $4k
yeah i want a 5d classic as my second body.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
hey guys,

for those of you who are camera gurus or know about dslr...whats a good entry level camera?

the reason i ask is because my co worker is selling his Canon T1i with the stock lens for $500. she said it barely took 1000 pictures or something (whatever that means). is that a good deal?

thanks guys
The T1i is great camera to start off with and any of the Rebel series camera from Canon. If you are looking into getting into photography and maybe videography then the T1i is great camera to start off with...but if you are only looking into getting a photography only I would look at DSLR without a video the feature like the XTI, XS, XT, Nikon D60 or etc. because you could probably grab one from about $400 with 18-55 F/3.6-5.6 with IS or VR, extra battery, memory card and simply protection case.

Just let me say this...anybody can pick up a DSLR and start shooting and think they are taking great photos because they have DSLR...but they are not because they are still shooting in auto mode or creative mode and any P&S camera has the same mode if not better....So think about it... is worth it to spend the money on buying DSLR? If you are going to treat the T1i or what camera you end up buying as P&S camera? Being a photographer is being how creative you can be and have the understanding of your gear and environment and it functions... that photographer and yes...you can do so much stuff with photo editing software but the real fun part is being creative behind the lens not being in front on computer and figure how creative you can be with mouse. Also it waste of time and money to get the most megapixel camera too... because if you are only going to view the photos on your IPhone 4 or 20" LCD monitors it no point in getting a 18MP camera unless you are actually going to print it out and frame it ( FYI: AARON Brothers Penny frame deal is back!) and hang it then yea it make since...

that my 2 cent...

let me know if have any other questions or what come out and hang with photographers and learn from them or attend workshop.. Let me know!

Quick Reply: camera question