My high school Senior project is going to be about street racing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
My high school Senior project is going to be about street racing!

Well my senior project is actually gonna be about the dangers of street racing haha. I have to write a 8-10 page paper and complete 25 hours of related work, which is where I need help... I can pretty much do anything car related and educational. I'm thinking about most likely taking some kind of car class at a local college like Mt. SAC or Citrus College. Anyone recommenced some class they have there that would be relevant? I'm open to other suggestions too, like some kind of car shop I could assist at LOL. Your input is appreciated

Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
imo illegal street racing is on a steep decline. it used to be a big issue several years ago (~5-10yrs ago) but, it seems it has become more tuning and visual. most of those ex street racers are taking it to the track now because the consequence of losing their cars and licenses being revoked.

I did a project for alternative fuel cell vehicles for my college essay. It demonstrated civilization did not need to depend so heavily on oil and the future looks bright due to energy sources such as ethanol, hydrogen, solar/electric vehicles are being prototyped and built to show consumers that petrol is not the only source for automotive energy source.

i got a good 15 pages out of the research and many people were surprised of how hydrogen fusion works in order to create electricity from a liquefied gas. to say the least i got an A on the essay, i too learned quite alot from the project.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
imo illegal street racing is on a steep decline. it used to be a big issue several years ago (~5-10yrs ago) but, it seems it has become more tuning and visual. most of those ex street racers are taking it to the track now because the consequence of losing their cars and licenses being revoked.

I did a project for alternative fuel cell vehicles for my college essay. It demonstrated civilization did not need to depend so heavily on oil and the future looks bright due to energy sources such as ethanol, hydrogen, solar/electric vehicles are being prototyped and built to show consumers that petrol is not the only source for automotive energy source.

i got a good 15 pages out of the research and many people were surprised of how hydrogen fusion works in order to create electricity from a liquefied gas. to say the least i got an A on the essay, i too learned quite alot from the project.
sounds cool! But my junior project paper from last year was about alternative fuel and energy, so I can't do anything similar this year =/

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
If the essay is on the dangers of street racing, I'm not really sure how going to a class would help with that since they wouldn't really have any information on street racing (that I know of). Maybe going to a race track or drag strip and find out why they go there instead of racing on the street so you can use them as cited sources or something and quote them in your essay

My sister had done something about street racing for her college class (I think it was about street racing) and actually went out to a meet with me and talked to some of the people there (including some FitFreaks, Jason I believe).

Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
you should then do a paper on the tuning crowd. such as jdm, ice, dubs, sleepers, drifters, and such.

its going to be hard to find recent info about street racing thats all. any topic that does not have heavy current research info is going to be hard to write about. especially because about 1/3 to 1/2 of the paper is on long quotes, facts and examples on your claims and assertions.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vilstar
If the essay is on the dangers of street racing, I'm not really sure how going to a class would help with that since they wouldn't really have any information on street racing (that I know of). Maybe going to a race track or drag strip and find out why they go there instead of racing on the street so you can use them as cited sources or something and quote them in your essay

My sister had done something about street racing for her college class (I think it was about street racing) and actually went out to a meet with me and talked to some of the people there (including some FitFreaks, Jason I believe).
My teacher said taking a class about anything car related was fine. It seems like it would be the easiest way to get hours done plus I have to have a mentor, which would be the teacher of the auto class. If I did something at the race track, who would be my mentor? :S

I think it would be awesome if they let me go to FF meets for my hours but I don't think they would see it as something educational, so probably wouldn't be approved.

Originally Posted by JJIN
you should then do a paper on the tuning crowd. such as jdm, ice, dubs, sleepers, drifters, and such.

its going to be hard to find recent info about street racing thats all. any topic that does not have heavy current research info is going to be hard to write about. especially because about 1/3 to 1/2 of the paper is on long quotes, facts and examples on your claims and assertions.
Well the topic is already pretty much set. I have my letter of intent almost completed, which is like my request letter >_<

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pandahh
My teacher said taking a class about anything car related was fine. It seems like it would be the easiest way to get hours done plus I have to have a mentor, which would be the teacher of the auto class. If I did something at the race track, who would be my mentor? :S
An instructor could be your mentor I guess.

But if it is going to be a class, I think you'd better look them up quickly and register soon. Not sure about those schools but a lot of the colleges have already started.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Well, a good idea maybe if you want to spend the time to drive somewhere, go to one of the few tracks we have out here in so-cal during an event. Call em and maybe they could give you a free interview with one of the instructors there.

Maybe write about the alternatives to street racing nowadays, how a lot of people are going to the tracks or autocrossing etc. I think the people of the southern california autocross association wouldn't mind doing an interview.

just throwing out some ideas! :P

Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
There's also the NHRA building/association/museum in La Verne/Pomona that im sure you could get lots of information there

Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
or u could jes eat sum cookies... they're in the shape of wheels so its car related right?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
If you changed it to more something on the tuner culture...you could take an Anthropology or Sociology class as part of your "education"

Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
haha i did a similiar paper on the upcomming chinese brands, and if i read correctly on the news i think Geely just bought shares in volvo like a week ago.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm good ideas... except for Note's o_o

I have to made a decision by Sunday, maybe I'll talk to some of you about it at the BBQ tomorrow woooo!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
this brings back memories.
i remember for my senior project, i studied the effects of lowering a car.
not much to it. That was when i was on drop springs and i did weekly recordings of my mpg meter. Also the hours i put into dropping my car went towards my hours of relevant work.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GarenteeAndy
this brings back memories.
i remember for my senior project, i studied the effects of lowering a car.
not much to it. That was when i was on drop springs and i did weekly recordings of my mpg meter. Also the hours i put into dropping my car went towards my hours of relevant work.
Haha that's super cool! My teacher said for my hours I could work on my own car as long as someone 18+ would guide me. Sounds kinda scary though, I feel like I'd mess up on something and make my car explode! D:

Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 PM
My paper was on how twilight is demoralising society. Lol I got an a+ even with my bad spelling

Find out all u can about legal races u have to convince people to not street race right so how them how to do it the right way just talk crap on my canyon running lol jk

Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crash001
My paper was on how twilight is demoralising society. Lol I got an a+ even with my bad spelling

Find out all u can about legal races u have to convince people to not street race right so how them how to do it the right way just talk crap on my canyon running lol jk
sorry but even though that was short, it was excruciatingly painful to read; don't forget grammar too. lol, did everyone get an A+ or what?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm a much better speaker and when I'm on my phone I don't use grammar often I speak then my gf whites it down

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

LOL niceee

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
My paper was on how twilight is demoralising society.
TWILIGHT IS AMAZING! Don't hate on the amazing films/books! lmao

Quick Reply: My high school Senior project is going to be about street racing!