SoCal Monthly Fits & Friends Bi-Monthly Meet - 2nd Saturday of Every Other Month

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:36 AM
aha! so I do need to report it.. hmmn.. you said something about pulling the wrap off the car.. is it really that hard? im planning to do it on my own.. shall I just look for a shop to wrap it? any recommendation for a goto shop for this? how much would it cost? omg.. now im jhaving 2nd thought... Will it affect my original paint undeneath? like for example the areas not covered by vinyl wrap after 1 yr will be faded compared to the covered areas? how about full side graphic decals? im planning to do it also on the sides.. wanted to get it all done for the meet on may.. lol

and how do I change my username? profile name shows my email address I used in registering in this forum.. lol can you help me with that too?

Last edited by AirBean; 03-28-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ervin.nario13@gmail.com
aha! so I do need to report it.. hmmn.. you said something about pulling the wrap off the car.. is it really that hard? im planning to do it on my own.. shall I just look for a shop to wrap it? any recommendation for a goto shop for this? how much would it cost? omg.. now im jhaving 2nd thought... Will it affect my original paint undeneath? like for example the areas not covered by vinyl wrap after 1 yr will be faded compared to the covered areas? how about full side graphic decals? im planning to do it also on the sides.. wanted to get it all done for the meet on may.. lol

and how do I change my username? profile name shows my email address I used in registering in this forum.. lol can you help me with that too?

I don't think you have to report it if you're just going to wrap a hood/roof. More drastic changes like mine I guess have to haha.

It's tougher to remove compared to a small decal; with such a big surface to peel you end up with sore hands the next day if you're not used to it. If it's really old vinyl it might come off in pieces too.

You can try wrapping it yourself, start with the small and more flat areas. I payed a shop to do my bumpers but I did the rest on my own.

With regards to what happens to paint, the adhesive has never affected my clear coat whatsoever and I've removed and rewrapped my hood and roof a lot of times haha. As for exposed vs nonexposed(wrapped) paint-- if your car is in the sun a lot and you're not able to take care of it, I'm sure there will be a difference with fading but I've never had a problem though mine is almost always in the shade and I keep it clean as much as I can.

*edit: for your username-- message Waiz(the OP of this thread) he should be able to change it for you

Last edited by Burzpaw; 03-28-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM
any recommendation for a goto shop for this? any idea how much would it cost? im in cerritos area btw..

I already sent an email and a PM to Waiz.. no reply so far..

regarding windows.. am I supposed to tint it first before sticking some decals/ vinyl stickers on it?

Last edited by AirBean; 03-28-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ervin.nario13@gmail.com
any recommendation for a goto shop for this? any idea how much would it cost? im in cerritos area btw..

I already sent an email and a PM to Waiz.. no reply so far..

regarding windows.. am I supposed to tint it first before sticking some decals/ vinyl stickers on it?

Uhm-- well a good full wrap is going to be about 3K. Any lower and you need to make sure its a reputable shop haha. The shop I had my bumpers done is Tint & Audio Xperts on Artesia Blvd. They did a pretty good job with my bumpers so I'm sure they could do the rest pretty well. Not sure about their price for a full wrap though.

Give it time haha he's a busy man

I don't know if it makes a difference-- tint is inside and decals go on the outside right? Even if you have decals on a window I think they can still make a good template from the outside with a couple decals here and there.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
FYI I have had cars painted different than the factory color. Ive been pulled over numerous times and never had any problems with the police/CHP regarding the color of the car. They dont care about the color just the illegal mods they stopped you for.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by painterguy
FYI I have had cars painted different than the factory color. Ive been pulled over numerous times and never had any problems with the police/CHP regarding the color of the car. They dont care about the color just the illegal mods they stopped you for.
that's what I've been reading-- color is basically just an identifier but vin # and all that are the big ones that have to be on point. Okay cool, I think I'm good haha, I don't have any illegal mods

Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Administrator
FYI

There will not be a meet in April since everyone will be in Fresno

Our next meet will be in May which will also be a night that we will be heading over to L&L Hawaiian BBQ in Gardena instead of staying in Cerritos just to switch things up

I will post reminders as we get closer to May just so everyone is up to date

Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 AM
ill be stopping by to see your fits guys.. im bringing my own..

Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Burzpaw
Uhm-- well a good full wrap is going to be about 3K. Any lower and you need to make sure its a reputable shop haha. The shop I had my bumpers done is Tint & Audio Xperts on Artesia Blvd. They did a pretty good job with my bumpers so I'm sure they could do the rest pretty well. Not sure about their price for a full wrap though.

Give it time haha he's a busy man

I don't know if it makes a difference-- tint is inside and decals go on the outside right? Even if you have decals on a window I think they can still make a good template from the outside with a couple decals here and there.
I messaged the shop you told me but they are not answering my inquiry.. I made an inquiry to Extreme Autowerks and they gave me a price of 700$ for the roof and hood wrap.. thinking about getting it done but still.. there might me somewhere else thats way way way cheaper than that?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by AirBean
I messaged the shop you told me but they are not answering my inquiry.. I made an inquiry to Extreme Autowerks and they gave me a price of 700$ for the roof and hood wrap.. thinking about getting it done but still.. there might me somewhere else thats way way way cheaper than that?
Really? If it was an email, try giving them a call-- there's only like a handful of guys there but their vinyl guys did a good job with mine and for $150 a bumper and $200 for both. I brought the material though, it might cost the same as Extreme Autowerks if you need them to supply the vinyl.

If you had material, I could wrap your hood/roof haha. I'm out of gloss black at the moment but I'm planning on getting more gloss black when it's available where my pop's works.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:32 AM
Really? If it was an email, try giving them a call-- there's only like a handful of guys there but their vinyl guys did a good job with mine and for $150 a bumper and $200 for both. I brought the material though, it might cost the same as Extreme Autowerks if you need them to supply the vinyl.

If you had material, I could wrap your hood/roof haha. I'm out of gloss black at the moment but I'm planning on getting more gloss black when it's available where my pop's works.
well.. thats a very good idea what kind of vinyl wrap would recommend? ill lookfor it somewhere.. I may save more if you do it.. how about removal? same shop?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
well.. thats a very good idea what kind of vinyl wrap would recommend? ill lookfor it somewhere.. I may save more if you do it.. how about removal? same shop?
The usual well-known ones would be 3M or Avery-- and Arlon, the company where my dad works is just as good if not better(I might be biased but hey, I love working with Arlon vinyl as opposed to other ones haha). I think it all depends on what color you want but if you're after gloss black, they all have that. As far as removal, I wouldn't know myself because I've never had to have a shop remove any vinyl yet.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:48 PM
The usual well-known ones would be 3M or Avery-- and Arlon, the company where my dad works is just as good if not better(I might be biased but hey, I love working with Arlon vinyl as opposed to other ones haha). I think it all depends on what color you want but if you're after gloss black, they all have that. As far as removal, I wouldn't know myself because I've never had to have a shop remove any vinyl yet.
I've received their quotation and it's around 600$.. lol! contacted them through FB and they were not able to receive my email.. still looking for a cheaper place lol..

Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
I've received their quotation and it's around 600$.. lol! contacted them through FB and they were not able to receive my email.. still looking for a cheaper place lol..
Haha but that includes vinyl right? Thats a good 3ft for the hood and 8 ft for the roof I think. Hope you find a cheaper place that still does good work!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Haha but that includes vinyl right? Thats a good 3ft for the hood and 8 ft for the roof I think. Hope you find a cheaper place that still does good work!
ooh.. so you mean to say thats a good price? ooh well I guess I'll have to follow recommendations from an experienced person .. thanks man.. ill go there tomorrow and ask them for an exact amount.. they might give me a cheaper price.. lol!

btw.. I tinted my rear window on my own.. and it took me 3hrs.. haha.. it's not perfect but who cares! lol.. I saved a couple of bucks doin it..

Attached Thumbnails SoCal Monthly Fits & Friends Bi-Monthly Meet - 2nd Saturday of Every Other Month-80-edited_img_1459462684875_v_e7765e5aa371138b1d6026347d7cc05f856848e9.jpg  
Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
ooh.. so you mean to say thats a good price? ooh well I guess I'll have to follow recommendations from an experienced person .. thanks man.. ill go there tomorrow and ask them for an exact amount.. they might give me a cheaper price.. lol!

btw.. I tinted my rear window on my own.. and it took me 3hrs.. haha.. it's not perfect but who cares! lol.. I saved a couple of bucks doin it..

Haha well I wouldn't know for sure unless I knew exactly what the labor cost; yea if they got to see it in person they might give you a cheaper deal-- I went there myself for mine and they got to see the work they'd have to put in it.

Oh nice! That's one of the things I've never tried yet haha

Old 04-03-2016, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hello Burzpaw,

Do you have experience with 3M 1080 material?
I would like to try to wrap my All-Fit rubber lip (aka home depot style lip )

Do we need to heat the 3m 1080 so the glue/adhesive work or they work without heating...
any special tools needed to do this wrap?

by the way, I heard the 1080 is easier than the DINOC to work with...
what do you think?

I am clueless when it came to wrap but I want to learn

Thanks

Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hello Burzpaw,

Do you have experience with 3M 1080 material?
I would like to try to wrap my All-Fit rubber lip (aka home depot style lip )

Do we need to heat the 3m 1080 so the glue/adhesive work or they work without heating...
any special tools needed to do this wrap?

by the way, I heard the 1080 is easier than the DINOC to work with...
what do you think?

I am clueless when it came to wrap but I want to learn

Thanks

I have not tried 1080 myself but from their website it looks like their latest vinyl wrap-- vinyls for the most part are basically like decals and don't need any help sticking. I use a heat gun on tight curves and when I do wet application where I have water underneath to help with placement like for emblems.

If you want to wrap your lip, it'll be pretty easy you just need a strip of vinyl however long your lip is. Doesn't matter what vinyl as long as it isn't foil based haha(chrome gold/super sparkle/glittery vinyl).
I used to put duct tape and vinyl on my home depot lip back then it's basically the same. But from my guess is the All Fit lip isn't a smooth surface is it?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have not tried 1080 myself but from their website it looks like their latest vinyl wrap-- vinyls for the most part are basically like decals and don't need any help sticking. I use a heat gun on tight curves and when I do wet application where I have water underneath to help with placement like for emblems.

If you want to wrap your lip, it'll be pretty easy you just need a strip of vinyl however long your lip is. Doesn't matter what vinyl as long as it isn't foil based haha(chrome gold/super sparkle/glittery vinyl).
I used to put duct tape and vinyl on my home depot lip back then it's basically the same. But from my guess is the All Fit lip isn't a smooth surface is it?
Hi, the All Fit Lip rubber is very smooth,
and I was able to make the follow the contour of my bumper and modulo lips, even more then 90degree bent and still no wrinkle...
so it should not create wrinkle to the vinyl wrap...
it is just that I wonder how difficult it is to do a wrap...
and also
Thanks for the duct tape idea, I never think about that too...
I am thinking of the 1080 Carbon Fiber one... (model CF12)...
or SF12...

Old 04-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hi, the All Fit Lip rubber is very smooth,
and I was able to make the follow the contour of my bumper and modulo lips, even more then 90degree bent and still no wrinkle...
so it should not create wrinkle to the vinyl wrap...
it is just that I wonder how difficult it is to do a wrap...
and also
Thanks for the duct tape idea, I never think about that too...
I am thinking of the 1080 Carbon Fiber one... (model CF12)...
or SF12...
It's not difficult-- for the lip, start on one end with a strip of vinyl and slowly peel the backing so your only working on it little by little. With the carbon fiber design, it'll be more gracious with imperfections from installation since it can cover up most mistakes like small folds if any. Solid matte colors not so much haha.

Quick Reply: SoCal Monthly Fits & Friends Bi-Monthly Meet - 2nd Saturday of Every Other Month