Undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Undercoating?

Is undercoating needed on the Fit for Canadian roads?

I thought it would be a good thing if it added deadening for the road noise.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 AM
i was wondering that too. the dealer that helped me when i test drove an alibaster silver sport mentioned that the panels were gavanized. I have been trying to find out if that was true and to what extent and method was used to galvanize the fit.
any experts out there willing to share the knowledge?
preference over undercoating method?

thanks in advance

Old 04-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I test drove the auto LX that I eventually bought without undercoating. I had the undercoating done before I picked it up and found there is a definite noise reduction. I also had a clearcoat done for UV and that has so far kept the car looking waxed. Also these gave me certain warranties. The undercoating has free touch-ups for 5 years and the clear coat warranties the colour of the body. If anything fades it will be repainted and clear-coated for free.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, dealers are closed today and I have an appt. early tom. morning for undercoat. I was not offered this option at my dealer and at $170........

I went to the Zeibart site and they list Undercoating, Rustproofing, and sound
deadening. Not sure what I am getting with just undercoating.

Last edited by willmax11; 04-09-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Look into other places to perform these type of services. Dealers are overpriced.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:10 PM
All modern vehicles (at least those available in the U.S and Canada) do not need undercoating to prevent rust. They are perfectly fine from the factory. In fact a poorly applied undercoating job can make a car rust faster - water can get trapped in any inperfections. The factory is just better setup for this kind of thing.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The dealer sends the car to a local shop to get them rust proofed.

If you plan on keeping your car for a long period of time, do it. Salt causes cars to rust, and I've seen rust on cars that aren't even 4 years old.

I'd recommend going to a local reputable shop and getting it done yourself.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DRum
All modern vehicles (at least those available in the U.S and Canada) do not need undercoating to prevent rust. They are perfectly fine from the factory. In fact a poorly applied undercoating job can make a car rust faster - water can get trapped in any inperfections. The factory is just better setup for this kind of thing.
Have you actually looked under a Fit? If not then I suggest you go to a dealer and look and compare it to a Civic.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have to get more info from Honda Canada and the dealer. As the salesman did not offer to undercoat and it was a rural dealer, maybe it is already done, but not likely.

The Ziebart place never heard of the Fit, too new. Leery about someone "practicing" on my car.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I have not looked under the Fit, but if it does not have adequate rustproofing from the factory that is certainly a strike against it, and would put it below most cars on the market in that regard.

I doubt that is the case.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 AM
It does not have any other rust proofing straight from the factory but it is built using high grade steel and/or galvanizing. This will not rust as an older car would. However the dents and scratches caused by road debris can cause weaknesses that eventually lead to oxidizing and rust. The undercoating is a thick spongy material that stays soft and pliable even in -20 degree temps and absorbs sound and damage from the road. I would recommend it. Also; my Honda dealer did do the undercoating in house and I would warn that while aftermarket undercoating may be cheaper they may not carry the same warranty. I get my undercoating touched up; forfree, for 5 years regardless of the mileage.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 AM
found this link from apa.ca

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=11

interesting reading, unfortunately there is no service available for us here in manitoba.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
I have not looked under the Fit, but if it does not have adequate rustproofing from the factory that is certainly a strike against it, and would put it below most cars on the market in that regard.

I doubt that is the case.
Take a look for yourself. Eliminate the doubt.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Exclamation

Just don't let the undercoaters hit anything you might need to take apart in the future - like say the interior fender liner - you have to go through there to get to the headlamp bulbs!
You'll be sorry (and messy)...

Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Please inform me of what cars come with factory rustproofing. I know some have an undercoating for noise, but I've yet to see any mention of factory rustproofing on any new cars.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:00 PM
The dealer wants me to take this package as well. What would you folks
suggest for undercoating the Fit for Alberta roads?

Or do any Albertans know where I can take the car to get it undercoated for
cheaper?

Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Be more concerned about the quality of the product and application, than the cost.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Please inform me of what cars come with factory rustproofing. .
What car doesn't? Dipping the car in a vat of zinc, to galvanize it, is rustproofing. Paint is rustproofing. Undercoating that has any gaps in it is a rust enhancer.

I consider undercoating in the same class as fabric protectant, paint sealer etc. A way for the dealer to make a little more money.

Even Consumer Reports reccomends against undercoating, as do these guys.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../March/05.html

Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
If you consider the galvanized metal and paint to be rust proofing, you are mis-informed. In Canada, especially in Ontario and Québec (since those are the two provinces I spend the most time in), relying on the paint and galvanized metal will mean a car will start to rust within 4 years.

I've seen many cars that are driven year round, treated with a good rust proofing every fall that have those fugly oil drip stains that look as good as new.

The aftermarket rustproofing protects the metal that has been scratched, any bolts that are not painted, reduces the chances of two different metals from rusting, the control arms, the calipers, drums, fuel lines, fuel tank, and so on...

Those that keep a new car for 4 years won't care, but the person buying that 4 year old car will. Especially in our Canadian climate.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
My 16 year old Integra with no rustproofing looks fine - some very minor rust (dime size) around the rear wheel on the body. Absolutely no rust underneath. This is a car with 205,000 miles that is in SD (Still pretty darn cold and they use plenty of salts and chemicals).

Hopefully in 16 years Honda has not gone backwards.

http://cars.real-solution-center.com...e-easy-way.php

"Add-ons You Should Not Buy: There are a number of items that some dealerships try to sell that you absolutely do not need. These can include undercoating, which can even damage the car; Scotchguarding, which you can do yourself for a few dollars; paint sealant and preparation charges (The factory pays the dealer for preparation). "

Quick Reply: Undercoating?