Snow & Ice Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Snow & Ice Report

Well, we got socked with Lake Effect snow and have about 4" of snow, slush and ice. I've had my Fit since April 4th with 5700 KM on the Dunlop tires.

I went out and tested the traction and the Fit did very well, no surprises on mixed roads. I tested the brakes on a slight downhill on ice and it tracked straight with a little stutter from the FR ABS. No side pull on spinning the front tires on acceleration. No rear end breakaway on braking.

I've driven bikes and all kinds of cars and trucks in Manitoba in winter for 50 years and the Fit is very stable with no surprises. Just have to watch for all the other drivers out there. LOL

My four mud flaps did a good job of keeping the slush off the sides but the hood was a mess as well as the rear window. Now begins the annual sand and salt mess.

FYI I just got my Nov. Consumer Reports and they have a good article on tires.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
good stuff.

I get my fit in 9 days. You on summer or winter tires?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Too soon to really report on performance here -- we've only had a couple of inches of snow in Montreal, but the little I did drive in it with my Fit and 4 new Goodyear Nordic tires seemed fine. The real test is yet to come sometime during the 6 months of hell we call winter.

Later,
Bill

Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Only 5700kms since April? Damn, I'll be cracking the 20k mark this week and I got mine mid June.

I'm on snow tires too. So far, as good in the snow as my old 1992 Integra 4 door was with 300-400 lbs of extra weight, using the same winter tires.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty happy with mine so far. LX Auto - stock Dunlop.

As willmax11 mentioned: accelerates straight, stops straight. Much better then my old Crown Vic.

In fact it seems to handle better in the snow then my grandparent's '02ish Civic w/Canadian Tire snow tires. The Fit seems to have more ground clearance too.

Car is quick to warm up, and defrost/heat works well. The A/C does a good job of removing moisture from the interior.

Wish the car had more intermittent wiper settings 'tho. And any intermittent setting on the rear would be good.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
We have not had much snow here in Montreal yet this year, but enough that I could test the Fit with the snow tires, and she seemed to love it! I was surprised because light cars can sometimes have difficultly in snow, but she seemed to grip and go with ease.

My rear windsheild washer sprayer cap did fall off the other day, and this happened while I was cleaning the window -- much to my surprise -- I will expect this should be replaced under warranty, as it should be tougher, and handle winter conditions without incident. Did this break off on any body else's Fit?

Later,
Bill

Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Here in Wyoming we just got a little snow and a lot of ice from the melting snow on the roads. I have the stock tires on my sport and it is pretty impressive to me. I does better than my 2000 4x4 dodge plow truck with year old tires. Has anybody else had fun with the e-brake handle being right next to your seat? I can't resist doing a few 180's.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Brrr! Good thing we don't have too much of that white stuff up here in Vancouver; lots of rain though.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
That handbrake trick! Man I have not done that since the 70s when I owned an old pizza delviery VW Bug (a 1965 one at that!). I did love the Bug for gettting around in the snow, but without a gas heater I almost froze to death in the winter!

Only rain in Vancouver -- nice....but ya can still go up in the mountains and get a bit of snow to satisfy any Christmas feelings -- right? Just saw Vancouver again last night -- but it was in another movie "Paycheck" with Ben Affleck -- I recognized it right away, even though I have only been there once. They actually had to shoot the motorcycle chase scene with wet streets -- yep, you guessed it! 'Cause it kept raining all the time!

Happy New Year!
Bill

Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
Brrr! Good thing we don't have too much of that white stuff up here in Vancouver; lots of rain though.
I'd rather have cold and clear.
By the way, how does the Fit do as a submarine? LOL

I see on the news Van cars going through water up to the door sills.

By the way, thanks for sending the warm air our way, up to 6C in the Peg.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Hitting 10 degrees C here in Montreal today -- so keep sending the warm air this way -- I'm not complaining one bit -- but the ski hills are losing a bundle!

Later,
Bill

PS: I may be able to cut the grass again in another day -- there's so little snow right now -- freaky!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willmax11
I'd rather have cold and clear.
By the way, how does the Fit do as a submarine? LOL

I see on the news Van cars going through water up to the door sills.

By the way, thanks for sending the warm air our way, up to 6C in the Peg.

No flooding in my area. Sorry, no test report available on FiT as a submarine.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
willmax11, you must have been the first Fit owner in Canada! You got it before it was scheduled for release to the public on April 20th. IMO, with the little bit of snow we got back in November, it felt like the Cooper all-seasons that came with the car (LX), have terrible traction on snow. Also, last week, when there was some thin ice on the road, I gave it a test on a slight curve with a stop sign further ahead. The temperature was about -10 Celcius (so the all-seasons were not as effective). It slide for a split second sideways, before regaining traction, then when I hit the brakes it slid for a bit, and then the ABS/EBD kicked in to control any skidding. I was very impressed with the handling, but I don't trust the tires very much. I'm carrying my winter tires in the hatch, because I'm still waiting for winter to arrive!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
That 30+cm's we had on the weekend was a pretty good time to. I really need to put these winter shoes I have on.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Cooper all-seasons that came with the car
Mine came with Dunlops -- I figured they would all have the same tires -- odd!

In any case, I bought the snow tires as it's safer, and the Quebec government keeps talking about making it mandatory to have them on all cars in the winter, and a new law for this could become reality at any time -- we never know what they deem to be most important. Considering the high number of fatal accidents over the Christmas break this year, they might be taking a closer look at this issue (although speed seems to have been the primary factor in many of these accidents).

Later,
Bill

Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PurrfectFit
Mine came with Dunlops -- I figured they would all have the same tires -- odd!
My apologies. They are Dunlop tires. My old car has the Coopers.

Last edited by TOPHER1; 01-05-2007 at 10:12 PM.