Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Track Day Prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Track Day Prep

What should you do before a day at the track. Not full on race or drag or anything like that, a proper track day where it's just you and the clock ... with a buncha other drivers but ignore em.

I know optimally you should have
-oil change before and after the track day
-pads changed to a harder compound
-dedicated track rims/tires
-removing all the crap you dont need at home or on site (spare, jack, luggage, etc)

Now I'm going on my first track day sometime this summer and i was just wondering if there was anything I've missed or anything you guys do that you think is important.

In addition id like to raise the question if prepping a manual and auto transmission car for the track is the same, is there something you gotta do on one that you dont on the other, stuff like that.

I'm on an LX 5AT btw.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Track day preparations...

"I know optimally you should have
-oil change before and after the track day
-pads changed to a harder compound
-dedicated track rims/tires
-removing all the crap you dont need at home or on site (spare, jack, luggage, etc)"

I would only change the oil if it needs changing. Check to make sure you have enough oil in there though. Changing the oil after the track day is a good idea though as you will be quite hard on the engine.

You don't necesarily need to change brake pads, and, changing them just for track and back to stock pads for street use is a bad idea (pretty sure it is bad for your rotors, and also, you will temporarily lose some braking power. Just keep the track pads in there, or get some high performance street ones for daily and track use. The stock brakes work plenty well for a track day. I would bleed the brake fluid, but make sure you have someone who knows exactly what they are doing, because, your life is on the line. Though bleeding the brakes is not necessary, just a precaution.

Test fit your track tires/wheels at home and make sure there is no rubbing when the damper is fully compressed. Depending on the size of the tire you may need to roll your fenders, I have 205 width Azenis and I had to.

Take your jack and spare to the track and you can just leave it in the pits when you go out on track, if crap happens on the way to the track or going back home you will be glad you did.

Depending on who is putting on the track day event, they will have you fill out a supplied form that you will need to fill out that basically affirms that your car is ready for track duty - battery secure, check, hub bearings don't have any play, check, oil level, check, ETC. For your safety and others. Plus, they don't want the track ruined by your fluids.
These forms are available at SpeedVentures - Track Events for Everyone!.

Bring lots of water, food, a folding chair, your basic tools (torque wrench for your wheels and tires at the track).

Have fun.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
I ran solo 1, but is more like autocross cause is a real (and very fast)track.

I would say:

1- Tires, depending if it's a short (the softer the compound, the better), or high speed (then you can use RA1's like I do).
2- Brake lines (steel braided) is mandatory (at least where I run in Puerto Rico).
3- Brake pads: I am using Hawk HPS with not a fade ( not once!!).
4- Fuel: Take a container with you and leave the tank @1/4 capacity, again depending on how long and fast is the track ( I put a little les than 1/2 tank).
5- a helmet.
6- all the things posted above like water,food, tools, etc...and a psi gauge for the tires.

i know there are other things but thats pretty much it.