Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Mt. Hamilton drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Mt. Hamilton drive

After a meet in Wesley, CA. several of us went down the road towards Mt. Hamilton. Manxman and I continued over the top. This is a fun road, with very little traffic, and no posted speed limits(unlike Mt. Diablo). We enjoyed the road, but kept it under 55. There was no passing involved, really nowhere that it was even legal to do so. This is an incredibly windy road. The kind of road that a Fit could stay with on the uphill or run away from a WRX on the downhill on. We took corners considerably faster than normal, but kept enough reserve to be able to avoid surprises. The view from the top can be gorgeous on a clear day, ours was somewhat misty, but still pretty. By the time we made it down to the other side, I had a sore neck from all the corners(100+ on each side) Being that I spent the majority of the Hamilton drive in 2nd or 3rd gear, I was wonderfully surprised to get 36 MPG for the tank. I wish I'd had the CG-Lock prior to the drive. I haven't really had a chance to try it out properly yet.
If you are an experienced driver, this is a wonderful place to see the wonderful handling and razor sharp steering response that the Fit has.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Retired Moderator
No posted speed limit and was more of a spirited drive than a street race. Thread remains open. If any mods have a problem with this, feel free to PM me about it.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Illusive
No posted speed limit and was more of a spirited drive than a street race. Thread remains open. If any mods have a problem with this, feel free to PM me about it.
Thank you Illusive. Well done.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Page Mill Rd, La Honda, Bear Creek, Stage Rd, and Kings Mountain Rd are also very fun roads to check out. Anyone who wants to check out these roads, PM me. I drive on these roads very often.

Last edited by m11a1; 02-27-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by m11a1
Page Mill Rd, La Honda, Bear Creek, Stage Rd, and Kings Mountain Rd are also very fun roads to check out. Anyone who wants to check out these roads, PM me. I drive on these roads very often.
Wow- I forgot all about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back to life. I live on Bear Creek Road, and drove the other car with EXWRX on the Mt. Hamilton "spirited drive". I also used to drive Page Mill Road often to the Stanford Linear Accelerator, years ago, and don't remember it as being particularly exciting (but didn't have a go-cart for a car back then either).

Keep me in mind when you want to cook up an interesting drive. Hwy. 35 from Hwy. 9 going East to Bear Creek Road is also a good short twisty drive, but really dangerous for multiple cars going through the Christmas tree farm area with single-lane blind curves.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Wow- I forgot all about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back to life. I live on Bear Creek Road, and drove the other car with EXWRX on the Mt. Hamilton "spirited drive". I also used to drive Page Mill Road often to the Stanford Linear Accelerator, years ago, and don't remember it as being particularly exciting (but didn't have a go-cart for a car back then either).

Keep me in mind when you want to cook up an interesting drive. Hwy. 35 from Hwy. 9 going East to Bear Creek Road is also a good short twisty drive, but really dangerous for multiple cars going through the Christmas tree farm area with single-lane blind curves.
Page Mill is one of my favorite roads mainly because I have been on it hundreds of times. I drive on one of those roads practically everyday whether during the day or at night. If you like single-lane twisties, you should check Stage Rd. off of 84 near the coast. The best part about that road is that it's right at the coast so there's no trees or anything to block the view so no blind curves.

I actually don't really like HWY 9, I really think it's overrated. Too many cars commute on that road, plus there's always cops on that road. Also, I hate it when people say that they "race" on that road. It's like this one time, I went to a party with my buddies and this one dude shows up and says, "So, do you know anybody who wants to race my friend's S4? But keep in mind that he's pushing 800 HP to the wheels." I just pretty laughed, at the same time I was thinking; HP don't really mean anything on the hills, it's all about experience.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Mines road is another nice twisty stretch of pavement. I do miss a driving Fit meet. The last 3 meets I've been to have been great fun, but from the company, not the driving experience. I did want to get a ride in MRsunrise's car with her new coilovers and MacBuddy's racing tires and wheels.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by EXWRX
Mines road is another nice twisty stretch of pavement. I do miss a driving Fit meet. The last 3 meets I've been to have been great fun, but from the company, not the driving experience. I did want to get a ride in MRsunrise's car with her new coilovers and MacBuddy's racing tires and wheels.
Well I say we should organize another Bay Area Fit Meet, what do you say to that?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned
Well I say we should organize another Bay Area Fit Meet, what do you say to that?
Okay, depending on weather, lets plan a visit to Mt. Madonna Park on Hwy. 152 between Watsonville and Gilroy. We had planned to meet there for the last adults only Fit meet, but a storm was predicted for that date, and we wound up at EXWRX's house in Tracy instead, and the weather was dry and warm.

m11a1, keep in mind that the adult meets are usually as much about good food in the outdoors as they are about our cars and driving. At the last meet, the suggestion was made that we should go to the park, as originally planned, as soon as possible.

All of the roads that you, EXWRX and I have mentioned are USUALLY ruined for spirited drivers by drivers who are already dead and just don't know it. "Damnit Harold. SLOW DOWN!!! There's a CURVE a half mile ahead!!!". Hwy. 9 either has a dozen Harolds and Maudes, or is temporarily closed because of a stupid and now dead Ninja style motorcyclist who drove head on into Harold's Chevy. Hwy 152 from the East (Gilroy) or the West (Watsonville) can be fun unless "Harold and Maude" are in front of you.

Anyway, Mt. Madonna for a good food and fun drive meet is my vote, but I'm open to anything else that comes up. With luck, I'll have my '09 Fit PRM intake received and installed before the next meet. But we need a weekend or two with no storms.

Last edited by manxman; 02-28-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
Okay, depending on weather, lets plan a visit to Mt. Madonna Park on Hwy. 152 between Watsonville and Gilroy. We had planned to meet there for the last adults only Fit meet, but a storm was predicted for that date, and we wound up at EXWRX's house in Tracy instead, and the weather was dry and warm.

m11a1, keep in mind that the adult meets are usually as much about good food in the outdoors as they are about our cars and driving. At the last meet, the suggestion was made that we should go to the park, as originally planned, as soon as possible.

All of the roads that you, EXWRX and I have mentioned are USUALLY ruined for spirited drivers by drivers who are already dead and just don't know it. "Damnit Harold. SLOW DOWN!!! There's a CURVE a half mile ahead!!!". Hwy. 9 either has a dozen Harolds and Maudes, or is temporarily closed because of a stupid and now dead Ninja style motorcyclist who drove head on into Harold's Chevy. Hwy 152 from the East (Gilroy) or the West (Watsonville) can be fun unless "Harold and Maude" are in front of you.

Anyway, Mt. Madonna for a good food and fun drive meet is my vote, but I'm open to anything else that comes up. With luck, I'll have my '09 Fit PRM intake received and installed before the next meet. But we need a weekend or two with no storms.
Sounds fine with me. Anywhere and anytime is good with me.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
DAVE IS A STREET RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooOOOOooOOOOoOOOoOOh!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
DAVE IS A STREET RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooOOOOooOOOOoOOOoOOh!
Nah, but Harold and Maude should stay the hell off my roads!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
LOL!!! dave im messing with you

Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
LOL!!! dave im messing with you
I know Matt. Weird thing is, I'm older than Harold. The "Harolds" of the world just haven't had my training and experience, and just get in everyone else's way.

If ya can't drive, GTF out da way!!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Who is Harold and Maude? Sounds like funny people...

Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned
Who is Harold and Maude? Sounds like funny people...
Fictional characters to illustrate a class of frustrating people on the road who don't belong there. They also drive motor-homes at 20 mph below the speed limit on one-lane mountain roads and never pull to the right in passing lanes. They're NOT funny.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 AM
God I wish we had nice curvy mountain roads to drive on. Although I did once find a beautiful coastal road that I use to take my prelude out on. I think I need to take the fit out there once I get some suspension upgrades.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Well, would anyone be interested in a drive and possible BBQ at park in maybe two-three weeks from now?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned
Well, would anyone be interested in a drive and possible BBQ at park in maybe two-three weeks from now?
Check your PMs.