Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Track and lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Track and lowering springs

I want to take my fit out to the track but I'm running on lowering springs. I have some good sticky tires, Kumho XS 205/50/15, for the fit but I'm mostly worried about the springs. Will handling be as bad as most people say? Should I run the fit or just wait until for coilovers?

All I really have is
Sticky tires
Lowering springs
Rear Sway bar

Last edited by petwhookie; 11-11-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by petwhookie
I want to take my fit out to the track but I'm running on lowering springs. I have some good sticky tires, Kumho XS 205/50/15, for the fit but I'm mostly worried about the springs. Will handling be as bad as most people say? Should I run the fit or just wait until for coilovers?

All I really have is
Sticky tires
Lowering springs
Rear Sway bar
I would recommend u to get some sport damper set to go with the lowering springs. They're cheaper to start with, support the lowering springs better & easier to drive. Spend the rest of the $ and get some better brake pads & take driving school to build up your skills from there.

I don't recommend novices to dump loads of $ into coilovers coz ends up they use up all their budget & find their cars too harsh to drive. I will say take out the rear sway bar too coz if u go into a corner too hot, freak out & lift the throttle then u have to pray that there's no wall or no other driver around u.......

Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
For the rear sway bar it depend of your driving.
Before i was driving a 90 with 6k in front and 8 in rear with a 22mm rear sway bar and no front sway bar.. It was so nice to me! But other person dont like it.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
I think I'll hold back on my FIt for now. I got a DC all ready for track.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
I think I'll hold back on my FIt for now. I got a DC all ready for track.
Oh yeah that'll be a much better car to run with. More torque at least.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by spoonek4
I would recommend u to get some sport damper set to go with the lowering springs. They're cheaper to start with, support the lowering springs better & easier to drive. Spend the rest of the $ and get some better brake pads & take driving school to build up your skills from there.

I don't recommend novices to dump loads of $ into coilovers coz ends up they use up all their budget & find their cars too harsh to drive. I will say take out the rear sway bar too coz if u go into a corner too hot, freak out & lift the throttle then u have to pray that there's no wall or no other driver around u.......
thats where the drivers ed comes in
best way is actual track time
why is a novice going to do any passing in corners or try doing the corner with a retaining wall at 10 tenths (or 11 tenths lol)?

keep the rear bar......it truly does lower lap times (if u can handle it)

go to the track and learn
slow down near walls and dont pass people and let faster drivers pass u

Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

All I really have is
Sticky tires
Lowering springs
Rear Sway bar
Nah, just run it. The Fit has good, predictable balance even in stock form - that's my instructor talking.

I suggest you maximize your time with what you got first before buying more kit. Coilovers can make the car too sensitive - are you sure you can handle that?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Never took the Fit to a real track so I wouldn't know. The lowering springs + oem struts feel like shit though, that's why I was asking FF if I should bother with the track with my current set up

Old 12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Never took the Fit to a real track so I wouldn't know. The lowering springs + oem struts feel like shit though, that's why I was asking FF if I should bother with the track with my current set up
Take it to the track to find out then

On-road behavior tells you so little about on-track behavior IMHO

Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds good, ill keep you guys updated.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Take it to the track to find out then

On-road behavior tells you so little about on-track behavior IMHO
This is so true!
I have eibach pro kit springs on eom dampers and no rear sway bar and I can have a lot of fun on the track. I can even get the tail to step out a bit to help rotation with some trail braking. I think your setup can be a lot of fun too except if you're on a very bumpy track where you'll most likely bottom out the suspensions(that was my case). Sport dampers would be a good thing to help this but there's not a lot of choices on the market.

Name:  fitdrift.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  fitdrift1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  fitdrift2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  93.2 KB

Just in case you were wondering: I never went off track with the fit but you need some good reflexes. But it won't do that if you don't provoke it quite hard.

Last edited by customfit; 12-14-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM

All I really have is
Sticky tires
Lowering springs
Rear Sway bar
Run it and get to know the vehicle. Just be a courteous driver.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Go to the track with what you have right now. Do some data logging and go on from there. I would've went bone stock first. But I would definitely recommend that you get some better brake pads and fluid.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Go to the track with what you have right now. Do some data logging and go on from there. I would've went bone stock first. But I would definitely recommend that you get some better brake pads and fluid.
In my experience, the stock Honda/Nissin pads held up fine under a whole day of track use...and that's with a few thousand kilometers already put into them in daily driving.

Agreed on the brake fluid though - I'd recommend DOT4 fluid as a precaution against boiling and its associated risks. While we're on the subject of boiling prevention, a coolant flush and fill before the trackday might be good prep too.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
In my experience, the stock Honda/Nissin pads held up fine under a whole day of track use...and that's with a few thousand kilometers already put into them in daily driving.

Agreed on the brake fluid though - I'd recommend DOT4 fluid as a precaution against boiling and its associated risks. While we're on the subject of boiling prevention, a coolant flush and fill before the trackday might be good prep too.
For a first timer, yeah stock pad MIGHT be enough, really depends on skill level & track temperature.

If that's a track like our Mission raceway/Pacific Raceway here with hairpins/ downhill turns after high speed section, stock pad will probably be toasted after 2laps on a 25c day.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by spoonek4
For a first timer, yeah stock pad MIGHT be enough, really depends on skill level & track temperature.

If that's a track like our Mission raceway/Pacific Raceway here with hairpins/ downhill turns after high speed section, stock pad will probably be toasted after 2laps on a 25c day.
The stock pads burning up really depends on how hard you brake and the track conditions. Even for a first timer, it is possible to toast the stock pads. I know, I burnt up my OEM pads on my very first track day. For brake fluid, I would recommend Endless or Motul.