Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge CRUISE - OCT 16th/17th

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge CRUISE - OCT 16th/17th

It's that time again

After talking with a few people this past weekend at the Jukebox Diner meet-up. It was brought to my attention that a few people would like to do a fall cruise to either Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge parkway. So I thought I would start a thread to see if there still was any interest. Right now the tentative schedule would be to do the cruise on either October 10th, 16th, or 17th. These dates would be the best time to get fall foliage pictures.
If we decide on skyline Drive then we could meet in front royal at Wal-mart or meet at Luray caverns and head over to Skyline Dr as a group. We then would drive down Skyline Drive and continue to Swift Run Gap entrance. This would then allow for people to take Route 33 to either route 29 or I-81 or we could continue to Rock Fish gap and exit onto route 64. To do skyline Dr in its entirety (front Royal to Rock Fish Gap) would result in 105 miles of twisty 25-45 mile hour roadway.
If we decide to do Blue Ridge Parkway we could meet just outside Waynesboro and cruise to Blue Ridge Parkway. Drive the Parkway till we get to Roanoke totaling 120 miles or somewhere in between.
For those of us that would be traveling from a far we might be able to get a group rate at a hotel and that would make the trip a little less taxing.
So guys Lets start this thread and try to get as big a turn out as the last meet-up.
I am working on putting together 2 potential routes. Right now I have 2 tentative routes worked out but not sure on stopping points.
Skyline Drive:
Get on Skyline drive at Front Royal
Drive Skyline to Route 211 stop at 211 overlook parking lot and regroup
then drive to route 33 overlook parking lot and regroup
From there we can either depart or continue to Rock Fish gap.
Depart rock fish gap I-64 and call it a day. That would be 110 miles start to finish Skyline Dr. Drive time would be 3 to 3.5 hours
Blue Ridge Parkway:
Get on BRP at Rock Fish Gap and drive to route 56 and regroup in parking lot.
Continue on to route 501 regroup at overlook just before. Continue on to route 43 and regroup or continue on into Roanoke and finish with Lunch or dinner at a local restaurant. The BRP from Rock Fish Gap to Roanoke is 120 miles. Drive time would be 3 to 4 hours.
A side note is that this is peak foliage time and skyline could potentially be very busy. I have never driven BRP but would imagine the same is true there. so I would recommend getting on either route early. that would allow time to do the drive and beat the crowds.
Also these routes can be drive in reverse order too.
Once we narrow down a drive and start point i will research hotels for group deals.
ORIGINAL THREAD:http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786104

Who's down? Let me know.

Last edited by JCharged; 08-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.