Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

SCCA B-Spec Honda Fit (and others)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Talking SCCA B-Spec Honda Fit (and others)

I'm surprised I haven't seen it posted here - C&D tested some B-segment race-ready cars, including the GE8 Fit. Below is the link to the story and the specs for the cars tested.

B-spec Racers: Honda Fit vs. Kia Rio 5, Mazda 2, Mini Cooper Hatchback - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver

Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Kia Rio is going to get booted from B Spec or weight penalties from looking at those numbers.

I'm suprised it still performed that much better even with intake restrictions. I'm impressed. I guess it is still an extra $10K to get there though.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Based off the estimated price to get race-ready, it won't be common anyways! $35 grand?!?!? Better cars with better performance for the money (ie Fit, Mini)

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
The Mazda has disabled rear brakes. Sounds squirrely.

The Rio did well because it looks like it has some torque, and the Cooper would be better at high speeds than the Fit. Wider, heavier cars are just more stable and easier to keep at the limit when flying through a turn.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
The Mazda has disabled rear brakes. Sounds squirrely.

The Rio did well because it looks like it has some torque, and the Cooper would be better at high speeds than the Fit. Wider, heavier cars are just more stable and easier to keep at the limit when flying through a turn.
The "disabled" is for the stability control. The chart is kind of hard to read.

Upon further reading it seems that the Rio was 100 lbs underweight as well. I guess this shouldn't be taken an an end-all comparo. The Mini had illegal suspenion, the Fit had too big of a restrictor.

Seems like a decent match anyway, i'll be interested to see the whole roster when it's done with the rest of the cars.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
So is anyone here prepping a B-spec car ?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Some results from this past weekend's race in Utah at Miller Motorsports Park. The Fits took 1st and 2nd place! Sounds like good racing too.

From the article:
The Touring Car-B battle was a four-car scrum for much of the early part of the race, with Marie’s No. 45 Honda Racing/HPD Honda Fit trading the lead with Craig Capaldi’s No. 86 CapaldiRacing.com Ford Fiesta every other lap for the first four.

With the battle joined by Jonathan Start’s No. 00 Fiat USA/SRT/Carbotech Fiat 500 and Dan McKeever’s No. 09 MMP/Ford Racing High Performance Driving School Ford Fiesta, the four cars began battling for second.

The battle for second allowed Marie to steadily pull away, driving off to a 3.354-second margin of victory and Honda’s first Touring Car-B win.

“It’s good for HPD, it’s good for Honda and it’s good for the class,” Marie said. “All the difference in the world today with some fresh tires up front and some pressure changes, the Pirellis worked much, much better today for us and it made it much easier to balance the car and put down some good, consistent lap times. I watched those guys battle behind me, the three of them, and I loved watching them battle back and forth because I was just notching away the tenths of a second with each lap. I’m very happy.

“It’s amazing right out of the box how close these cars are. The first time, you can’t get much better than that. Everybody raced clean and I have to thank my fellow drivers out there for some good racing.”

Conner Ford joined the back and forth battle for second in the No. 93 Honda Performance Development Honda Fit, eventually taking the top spot to give Honda a second podium finish.

Craig Capaldi finished third, followed by Start, who took the two wins on Saturday. Jeff Lepper finished fifth in the No. 92 Xtreme Indoor Karting/Gunther Kia Rio.

With three wins in five races on the season, Cooper holds the Touring Car Drivers’ Championship lead with 671 points over Lamb’s 609. Winchester (457 points) sits third, followed by Gustavo Michelsen (396), who finished seventh. Tristan Herbert is up to fifth with 368 points. Honda leads the Touring Car Manufacturers’ Championship, 39-34 over Mazda. Volkswagen has closed the gap with Sunday’s win, up to 17 points.

In Touring Car-B, Start holds the Drivers’ Championship lead after the three weekend races with a 389 to 335 advantage over Marie. Capaldi (327) sits third in the Drivers’ Championship. Fiat holds the Manufacturers’ Championship lead with 22 points, followed by a tie between Mazda and Ford with 16. Honda has 15 points, while Kia has scored 3.
SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge

Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Some pretty crazy B-Spec action from a Mazda 2's cockpit. Lots of passing, spinning and bumping. Poor view, and audio, but you still get a sense of the action and the rough conditions. Didn't see a Fit in this pack, but it's worth watching.

Breathless Performance Ernie Francis wins Grand Am Sportsman Series Race at Miami Grand Prix - YouTube

Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Close racing in a Montreal B-Spec race. Inside Mini Cooper following two fits. Surprise ending.

CTCC B-Spec 2012 - Montreal Crash - Andre Rapone (Car 73) - YouTube

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
Close racing in a Montreal B-Spec race. Inside Mini Cooper following two fits. Surprise ending.

CTCC B-Spec 2012 - Montreal Crash - Andre Rapone (Car 73) - YouTube
That was awesome!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
My plans for 2013 is a B-spec Fit

......my only regret is Honda not bringing the RS version here

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Here is another enjoyable article not sure if it is posted here The 25 Hours of Thunderhill in a B-spec Mazda 2 and Honda Fit – Feature – Car and Driver