General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Low rolling resistance tires in 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Arrow Low rolling resistance tires in 2012

hey guys,

saw a couple OLD threads on LRR tires and wanted to see if people have had some experience with them now. I'm looking at the GD getting 15x6.5 Konig Heliums (10.8 lbs and <$100/wheel!) and 185/60R15 LRR tires.

have people had experience with the following?
  1. Continental ProContact with EcoPlus
  2. Yokohama AVID Ascend
  3. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
  4. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
  5. General Altimax RT (I know it's not LRR, but got great reviews on TireRack and cheapest)
  6. Yokohama AVID TOURING-S
  7. Hankook Optimo H727
thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
I had the Hankook Optimo H727 195/65/15 on my wife's and mine previous cars each 2006 Toyota Corollas. Rated high on Consumer Reports and high reviews on TireRack and Discount Tires. Brought when there was $100 rebate ended up paying around $70 each deliver. Good in rain 100k warranty.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
I've been researching tires for the past week, but in 185/55/16 and 205/50/16 sizes for the Fit Sport.

**If** I decide to go LRR, I would want a mix of mpg AND handling/traction. I might just go performance and forget the LRR. My choice order so far on LRR is:

Yokohama AVID Ascend 185/55/16

Continental ProContact or similar 205/50/16
Yokohama Avid EnVigor 205/50/16 (not true LRR)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/50/16 (soft handling, but better than some other LRR)

The best tire reviews for LRR I am finding is with the Prius guys:
Yokohama AVID Ascent LRR tire now available for Prius v | PriusChat

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

Tire rack has some good LRR reviews/tests/comparisons too, but older and not up to date.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
I was looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DW 205/50/16 when I replace the original tires. I was looking at replacing the wheels on my 2012 Sport but people are always commenting on the wheels.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
I had the Hankook Optimo H727 195/65/15 on my wife's and mine previous cars each 2006 Toyota Corollas. Rated high on Consumer Reports and high reviews on TireRack and Discount Tires. Brought when there was $100 rebate ended up paying around $70 each deliver. Good in rain 100k warranty.
Thanks cjecpa, any noticeable change in MPG with the Hankooks?

Originally Posted by AC7880
I've been researching tires for the past week, but in 185/55/16 and 205/50/16 sizes for the Fit Sport.

**If** I decide to go LRR, I would want a mix of mpg AND handling/traction. I might just go performance and forget the LRR. My choice order so far on LRR is:

Yokohama AVID Ascend 185/55/16

Continental ProContact or similar 205/50/16
Yokohama Avid EnVigor 205/50/16 (not true LRR)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/50/16 (soft handling, but better than some other LRR)

The best tire reviews for LRR I am finding is with the Prius guys:

Tire rack has some good LRR reviews/tests/comparisons too, but older and not up to date.
Thanks for the great input and links AC! It's times like these that I wish it was a GE with much more normal tire sizing

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Wufei;1113887]Thanks cjecpa, any noticeable change in MPG with the Hankooks?

Not really my Corollas' got great mileage as it is and there was no computer that gave your MPG like the Fit.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Not really my Corollas' got great mileage as it is and there was no computer that gave your MPG like the Fit.
Got it, next time you can just divide miles driven since last fillup by gallons from this fillup

Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
I never have really kept track of my MPG on any car I owned nor do I change my driving habits beyond driving less when gas is $4. When it comes to tires I usually look at performance in bad weather, wear, sound and handling based on the surveys.
As for Hankooks I had good experience with the brand as for the MPG increase I honestly could not tell you one way or another.

Based on Consumer Reports the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus are a recommended tire and actually rated higher then the Hankook on rolling resistance.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

Anyone else want to chime in? There's gotta be more than 2 people running/thinking about LRR tires!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
I can't help much on the 15" size you are considering, but have some info on the 16".

In the Sport size 16" wheels, the Yokohama YK580 205/50/16 looks good to me.

Similar but better specs to the Yokohama Avid Envigor. The YK580 is built exclusively for Disount Tire by the looks of it. Good mix of performance, longevity, and mpg as best I can tell from google searches.

It has wider tread section than the stock Dunlops and the Yokohama Ascend in 185/55/16, but narrower than the Kumho Ecsta 4x and the Ecopia 422, which "should" mean lower rolling resistance. It is a heavier tire though.

Below is a cut and paste I did for a guy who has problems with road noise on the stock Dunlop SP 7000 185/55/16. His primary concern is road noise versus mpg.

I'm not sure of your location, but I recommend at the following links you only consider all season tires if you decide to replace the Dunlop SP7000 tires.

Stock sized tires on tire rack - with reviews which include consumer rating on noise: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=16

One set of consumer ratings for noise comfort on tires with Dunlop SP7000 middle of the pack (only high performance -- just one category of many):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS
Notice the Yokohama Avid Envigor high on the chart.

This is a new tire in stock size - not many reviews or surveys yet - but should be quiet, high mileage durability, and high mpg: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&tab=Reviews

AVID ASCEND Tire Details
vs Yokohama Envigor (also a quiet tire): Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.
And Yokohama YK580 (only at Discount tire): YK580 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

Read the Prius forum review on the Ascend: http://priuschat.com/threads/yokoham...review.105546/
Quiet tire.

You might stop by your closest Discount tire and see if they will give you a trade in allowance on your almost new Dunlops. Best bet is the Yokohama Ascend in 185/55/16, or the Yokohama YK580 in 205/50/16.

Also Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Bridgestone Ecopia 422 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Check prices on Tire Rack with delivery, vs Discount Tire. Discount Tire "should" price match Tire rack delivered pricing if you ask them to.

Edit: Sound deadening - lot's of work and adds weight to the car. You would "probably" want it under the carpeting, in the door panels, spare tire well, firewall or dash. One link to think about it: RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products How to: How-To

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks again AC!

For me, MPG is #1 and dry/wet performance (grip) is #2 priority. Don't really care about the other stuff like treadwear, noise, harshness, etc.

I think I've got it down to these in 185/60/15 for GD:
  1. Kumho eco Solus
  2. Bridgestone Ecopia
  3. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
  4. Hankook Optimo H727
  5. Yokohama Avid Ascend (no TK in this size)
Which would give best MPG and dry/wet performance?

Last edited by Wufei; 07-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a 2012 Sport so GE but I considered replacing the stock Dunlop185/55/16 tires with the LRR Avid ascend in the same size.

I actually found the Dunlops to be pretty good for what they are but I wanted a slightly wider contact patch.

I upgraded to a 205/50/16 and went with Kuhmo Ecsta 4X
This has been a great choice and it has lot's of grip in all conditions.

My mpg has not suffered at all in fact it improved by 2mpg
If you are going to remain stock as far as suspension I would go with the Avid ascend.

If upgrading I would move to a 205/50 and there are plenty of good choices like the Kuhmos,Conti DWS etc.

I have Swift springs and Progress RSB and the handling is superb.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Escuse the formatting - late and time for shower/sleep.

Quote: "For me, MPG is #1 and dry/wet performance (grip) is #2 priority. Don't really care about the other stuff like treadwear, noise, harshness, etc.

I think I've got it down to these in 185/60/15 for GD:"

My thoughts mixed in:
  1. Kumho eco Solus 3rd behind Pirelli P4 in 4 way test
  2. Are There New Standards for Standard Touring All-Season Tires?
  1. Bridgestone Ecopia Low UTQG and low rating on tire rack- I'd rule this one out
  2. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons 2nd in 3 way test - consider over eco solus
  3. Hankook Optimo H727 - last place in 4 way test - I'd rule out
  4. Yokohama Avid Ascend (no TK in this size) I'd consider it. Probably best mpg, good traction, slower response in handling.
  5. Which would give best MPG and dry/wet performance?
  6. From your choices in this size, I'd probably go Pirelli or Yok Avid Ascend. Pirelli likely better handling, Yok better MPG. Wet/dry traction both decent is my guess.
  7. Pirelli quicker handling (steering) response, Ascend ok but a bit slow to steering response with better MPG.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by AC7880
Escuse the formatting - late and time for shower/sleep.

Quote: "For me, MPG is #1 and dry/wet performance (grip) is #2 priority. Don't really care about the other stuff like treadwear, noise, harshness, etc.

I think I've got it down to these in 185/60/15 for GD:"

My thoughts mixed in:
  1. Kumho eco Solus 3rd behind Pirelli P4 in 4 way test
  2. Are There New Standards for Standard Touring All-Season Tires?
  1. Bridgestone Ecopia Low UTQG and low rating on tire rack- I'd rule this one out
  2. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons 2nd in 3 way test - consider over eco solus
  3. Hankook Optimo H727 - last place in 4 way test - I'd rule out
  4. Yokohama Avid Ascend (no TK in this size) I'd consider it. Probably best mpg, good traction, slower response in handling.
  5. Which would give best MPG and dry/wet performance?
  6. From your choices in this size, I'd probably go Pirelli or Yok Avid Ascend. Pirelli likely better handling, Yok better MPG. Wet/dry traction both decent is my guess.
  7. Pirelli quicker handling (steering) response, Ascend ok but a bit slow to steering response with better MPG.
No worries at all! Once again, the quality of your reply was fantastic!

What concerns me with the TR test rankings is that it's not clear how big the gap between each rank is. When a tire is 4th (or any place for that matter), was the difference from one tire to the other a hair-length or a mile?

The other thing I hate is how subjective tire specs are - each manufacturer kind of puts whatever they want for width, treadwear, etc. Which is why I've been asking for real-world data (of course that's not perfect/always apples to apples either, but hey it's better than nothing!)

Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
The best real world info I could find on LRR tires was the Prius guys.

For real world reports, I couldn't find any better. 2nd best is the individual reviews of each tire on tire rack, from a multitude of users. The tire rack reports have such a range of good to bad, it's clear the opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt.

If I was buying LRR right now I'd go with the Yoko Ascend in stock size. Yoko YK580 from Discount Tire if it's in your size range or plus one is a possible 2nd.

Originally Posted by Wufei
No worries at all! Once again, the quality of your reply was fantastic!

What concerns me with the TR test rankings is that it's not clear how big the gap between each rank is. When a tire is 4th (or any place for that matter), was the difference from one tire to the other a hair-length or a mile?

The other thing I hate is how subjective tire specs are - each manufacturer kind of puts whatever they want for width, treadwear, etc. Which is why I've been asking for real-world data (of course that's not perfect/always apples to apples either, but hey it's better than nothing!)

Old 10-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Awesome info, thanks again man! Got some used tires for now, but this will be a great resource when those wear out

Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
I just got the Bridgestone ECOpias.

They DEFINITELY produced a noticeable MPG change, given, not by a lot mind you, but definitely noticeable AND _constant_!

They also seem to get pretty good reviews and have good ratings amongst across the board, so they're a good all-weather general purpose tire.