Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Windshield Molding Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Windshield Molding Question

I am the proud owner of a 2016 Fit EX. Love it. I got a great deal and low miles. After a couple days I noticed there appears to be a piece missing. It looks like there is an empty groove where the windshield meets the hood. It looks like there should be molding there. Is this an easy fix? Can I DIY or do I need to take it somewhere? Anyone replaced this piece before? Thanks in advanced for any help!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 AM
It's not missing anything. When I had my windshield replaced, they squeezed in some adhesive that eventually formed that mold there.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Was the car in a previous accident by the other owner? Just asking because of the fit and the other molding at the bottom of the picture.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 PM
I believe there was hail damage to roof and windshield was replaced. Hard to notice unless you are up close. Got a killer deal because of it. I'm just worried it's going to leak when it rains

Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by McFit67
I believe there was hail damage to roof and windshield was replaced. Hard to notice unless you are up close. Got a killer deal because of it. I'm just worried it's going to leak when it rains
Well, you're smart, trying to get it fixed before the fall and winter weather comes. Hey, my used Fit had a small accident in the front when I bought it too and, no problem.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Well, you're smart, trying to get it fixed before the fall and winter weather comes. Hey, my used Fit had a small accident in the front when I bought it too and, no problem.
Do you think it will leak?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 PM
Do you think it will leak?
Easy to find out. Take it for a ride through a pressure car wash. If it makes it through there, it will possibly be okay for a while. But, considering how it does look like the molding is missing or not sealed correctly, you might want to put more time into fixing.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Easy to find out. Take it for a ride through a pressure car wash. If it makes it through there, it will possibly be okay for a while. But, considering how it does look like the molding is missing or not sealed correctly, you might want to put more time into fixing.
I ordered the molding and was told by an auto glass shop they would need to remove glass in order to get the seal. He quoted me roughly $150 to do that. The guy at the auto glass store said he wouldn't mess with it because the window could break in the process. Dealer, idiots they are said to put a big bead of caulking in there to fill the gap. I'm torn...

Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 PM
I ordered the molding and was told by an auto glass shop they would need to remove glass in order to get the seal. He quoted me roughly $150 to do that. The guy at the auto glass store said he wouldn't mess with it because the window could break in the process. Dealer, idiots they are said to put a big bead of caulking in there to fill the gap. I'm torn...
Not sure of what you're saying---------So the guys at the auto glass shop WILL DO IT for $150 and give you a guarantee that it won't leak? Or they won't do it because the glass will break? If they will do it for the $150, that doesn't sound too bad to me but I have never run around to get competitive prices. What did the dealer quote you for putting in the molding instead of just a bead?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Not sure of what you're saying---------So the guys at the auto glass shop WILL DO IT for $150 and give you a guarantee that it won't leak? Or they won't do it because the glass will break? If they will do it for the $150, that doesn't sound too bad to me but I have never run around to get competitive prices. What did the dealer quote you for putting in the molding instead of just a bead?
The dealer alluded to not wanting to do it when I asked for a quote, since it is a Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealer and I bought someone's trade in. The Auto Glass shop said they could do it and guarantee no leak but warned the glass could break and I would have to pay cost of new windshield if it did break. Seems weird since they specialize in auto glass right? Like I said the auto glass guy told me to check for leak like you said and if it's good, he wouldn't mess with it. I just don't like the way it looks. So I guess if it doesn't leak, I'll be ok with leaving it be. I tested it with about a cup of water pouring into the groove and then put a paper towel up in between the headliner and windshield. I didn't see any water come through on the paper towel, but I don't know if it just dissipated elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:11 AM
The dealer alluded to not wanting to do it when I asked for a quote, since it is a Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealer and I bought someone's trade in. The Auto Glass shop said they could do it and guarantee no leak but warned the glass could break and I would have to pay cost of new windshield if it did break. Seems weird since they specialize in auto glass right? Like I said the auto glass guy told me to check for leak like you said and if it's good, he wouldn't mess with it. I just don't like the way it looks. So I guess if it doesn't leak, I'll be ok with leaving it be. I tested it with about a cup of water pouring into the groove and then put a paper towel up in between the headliner and windshield. I didn't see any water come through on the paper towel, but I don't know if it just dissipated elsewhere.
Yeah, too many variables. I mean, just the fact that the glass guy tells you that "if the glass breaks"----- is reason for concern. You could ask him how much a new windshield would cost in case he broke it or you could get prices from a junk yard, just to be prepared for that ultra "failure" of breakage or you do like you said and live with it the way it is. You might just want to do what the dealer said and fill it in with "goop". That's the cheapest route and there is black molding around that you could cover that "goop" with, glue it down over the goop and make it fit pretty darn well. The average person probably wouldn't be able to tell that you added the "custom molding" over the goop unless you told him. You could probably pick up a strip of black molding from places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ebay or other supply stores. Only thing is that if you plan on going through car washes that use brushes, you might have a problem with that molding ripping off, unless you had it sealed down really well. Or, just don't go through car washes that use brushes. Good luck with it.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:23 PM
$15 Trim from O'Reilly's

Yeah, too many variables. I mean, just the fact that the glass guy tells you that "if the glass breaks"----- is reason for concern. You could ask him how much a new windshield would cost in case he broke it or you could get prices from a junk yard, just to be prepared for that ultra "failure" of breakage or you do like you said and live with it the way it is. You might just want to do what the dealer said and fill it in with "goop". That's the cheapest route and there is black molding around that you could cover that "goop" with, glue it down over the goop and make it fit pretty darn well. The average person probably wouldn't be able to tell that you added the "custom molding" over the goop unless you told him. You could probably pick up a strip of black molding from places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ebay or other supply stores. Only thing is that if you plan on going through car washes that use brushes, you might have a problem with that molding ripping off, unless you had it sealed down really well. Or, just don't go through car washes that use brushes. Good luck with it.

this trim cost $15 from O'Reilly's and I think it looks pretty darn good!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:31 PM

this trim cost $15 from O'Reilly's and I think it looks pretty darn good!
I never would have known if looking at the car! Looks great.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:51 PM
I never would have known if looking at the car! Looks great.
Thanks! Super glad because it was BUGGING me. Plus the 3M tape is super strong it's not going anywhere.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Now I'm wondering about and researching using body filler to repair that little damage on the roof, but then when I get into painting and clear coat, I get scared and lose hope

Old 09-21-2019, 11:36 PM
Now I'm wondering about and researching using body filler to repair that little damage on the roof, but then when I get into painting and clear coat, I get scared and lose hope
I've repainted the lower part of my front bumper and the running board below the two doors but only took those on because they are low on the car and hard to see that they've been repaired and repainted. I've yet to get even close to the gloss level that is on the original paint so painting on the roof or somewhere that's going to easily be seen and match is not going to be easy. I've even buffed the spray top clear coat that I did on the running board and it's not bad but not close enough. I'd paint me whole hood, because of some damage, but the reason I haven't is because of the paint color and gloss level. Better for me to leave that to the pros who can match color and gloss so you can't tell. But, good luck in your attempt if you do try!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member

A new windshield in Chicago is $225-240 installed. This is a no brainer.. Did you ask them how much it would be if they break the window? Maybe be a similar amount? If not shop around and just have the windshield replaced

Old 09-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Was the car in a previous accident by the other owner? Just asking because of the fit and the other molding at the bottom of the picture.
I had a body shop quote me $450 to fix the whole roof and molding and clear coat the whole roof after painting. Not too bad. Even if I did that, I STILL got a good deal on the car

Old 09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
I had a body shop quote me $450 to fix the whole roof and molding and clear coat the whole roof after painting. Not too bad. Even if I did that, I STILL got a good deal on the car
That's the quote I got for fixing my dings on my front hood and painting and clear coating too. Don't know if you'll find it cheaper unless you know someone. I figured that the rest of my car was in such nice condition, I don't mind paying that out because I'm going to keep the car for another 10 years. And I'm really fussy with my car----I watch where I park the car and will park far enough away, at the malls, that another car isn't close enough. (Yeah, way too fussy I know) When I do get around to having my hood painted, the car will look two years old, not 10. :-)

Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 PM
That's the quote I got for fixing my dings on my front hood and painting and clear coating too. Don't know if you'll find it cheaper unless you know someone. I figured that the rest of my car was in such nice condition, I don't mind paying that out because I'm going to keep the car for another 10 years. And I'm really fussy with my car----I watch where I park the car and will park far enough away, at the malls, that another car isn't close enough. (Yeah, way too fussy I know) When I do get around to having my hood painted, the car will look two years old, not 10. :-)
Not way too fussy at all!! I'm the same exact way! Plus I live in Texas and will park far to get shade too

Quick Reply: Windshield Molding Question