Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Taillight install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
DIY Taillight install

ok I bought some tails off of eBay and I want to put them on, however I can't figure out how to remove the rear bumper. Can someone give me a hand on how to remove the black things on the bottom of the bumper, so I can do a full report of the swap with pictures? Do the unscrew or does the middle pop out?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM
ok so I found a service manual on here at https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...service+manual
there is a detailed drawing on how to remove the rear bumper.

DISCLAIMER: ONLY ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, HAVE ALL THE TOOLS NECESSARY TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY. ONLY ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH DIY PROJECTS AND HAVE SOME SORT OF MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE.

Ok let's get started...first, park in a well lit area, turn off your car, and make sure the emergency brake is up...obviously...what you need to do is remove the bumper first. Start by removing the screws in both wheel wells (1 per side). If you have splash guards, remove those too, same screw types (phillips head) should be 3 or 4 on each side.

Next Remove the 2 countersunk bolts with an allan key

Then lay on your back on the ground so that you can see the underside of the bumper, there you will find 2 black plastic...things...anyway, remove them by inserting a flathead srewdriver into the slot and twisting the screwdriver (you can pry it, but you can scratch your bumper that way, so I suggest twisting), once they pop, grab a hold of them and wiggle them out.

Now if all the screws have been removed, the only thing that sould be holding the bumper on are the hooks. Grab the bumper at the corner where you removed the screw at the wheel well. Pull the bumper slightly until the bumper pops out of the hooks...mine took a bit of a pull the first time to remove it. Do to both drivers and passengers side of bumper.

Give another pull and you should be able to pop the bumper out from under the tail lights. this leaves only the hooks on the middle section of the bumper. I'm not sure how other people handle this part, and I'm not suggesting you do it this way unless you are extremely careful, but you can fit a flat head screwdriver in the trunk jam and bend the hooks back, there are six of them in total...after that the bumper should come off...if it does not, try to find out where the bumper is caught and refer to the service manual for any additional screws that may need removing.

With the bumper removed you should be able to access the screw on the underside of the tail light. Only work on one tail light at a time, that way if you can't remember how something goes back together, you always have the other as reference.

Now remove the panel behind the tail light, in the trunk. I like to use my Honda key to pry it open because it's less likely to scratch something than a screwdriver is, but to each there own.

Unforunately this is where my camera died, so I'll have to guide you through with words...on the back side of the tail light there are 3 - 5/16" hex nuts, use a ratchet to remove them. remove all of the bulbs by twisting them out of the tail light sockets. Once you have done that, remove the tail light...may take some wiggling...and be careful of the bottom, as next to the screw that you removed down there, there is a small piece of plastic that sticks through, so don't break it off.

Test the new tail light for compatability with your bulbs and sockets, may take some modification to fit them in (I don't suggest taking the same approach, but I got in there with my sheet metal snips and "adjusted" the size of the holes.) If everything looks good, install the new tail lights (unplug all the bulbs you may have just tested first), start by inserting the small plastic piece at the bottom and then fitting the three bolts on the back through their respective holes. Once it is in place, check the fit of the light and adjust if necessary. Replace the three nuts and tighten. Screw in bottom screw on the underside of the tail light, plug in all the bulbs, and replace the panel.

Remove other tail light, replace with new one, screws, nuts, bulbs...blah blah blah

now at this point your new tail lights should be in place and you should be happy with the way they look, if not, choke nearest victim (this is a joke, don't kill/injure anyone.)

If you bent up any hooks, now is the time to bend them back, then replace the bumper, I suggest starting with the countersunk bolts.

once those are in, clip it into all the hooks (watch out for the once underneath the tail lights, they gave me a bit of hassle), once it is all clipped in replace the wheel well screws, then the black plastic thingys from the underside, then your splash guards and anything else I missed, if it's not fitting properly, then check to make sure its not caught on anything, then push on it with your fingers slightly to get it into the hooks.

Finally, Test all your lights to make sure they work.

That should be it, your Fit/ Jazz should have a sweet set of new tails and you should be getting the warm fuzzy feeling of just completing a DIY job.
way to go!

Last edited by Dix GD3; 02-10-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
yeah it was a PITA to do this. my truck is 2 screws. headlights are worse.

another thing you should note that some have taken the wire clips out that mounted inside the hatch to give more slack to plug in some lights. I think the reverse lights and 1 more is the problem. I like many others just extended them. I did solder and heatshrink.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 AM
yeah, it true, for a lot of tail light you will need to extend the reverse light and turn signal wires. I just gave them a little extra pull and they fit...the wires are tight, but they are in there.

here is a better pic of the light I installed today, first mod btw...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
so i just got a set of jdm style smoked led taillights..
what are the tools that i absolutely need??
im soo excited about installing them but i dont want to not finish doing it if im missing soemthing..
Dix gd3 my question is do i need to cut any wiring?? cause im no good with wire and solder and etc..

i didnt know what i was gonna get into when i bought the taillights i thought itw as just taking the bolts out from behind the panel and then loosen and tighten and wahla!

please help me out thank you!

Last edited by tdubl; 02-26-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure what you need to do for LED's, I was under the impression that you could remove the bulb ballasts ans just use the plugs to run the lights, but I'm not sure because I've never seen them in person.

Other than that the only other tools you should need are the screwdrivers and the allan key

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dix GD3
I'm not sure what you need to do for LED's, I was under the impression that you could remove the bulb ballasts ans just use the plugs to run the lights, but I'm not sure because I've never seen them in person.

Other than that the only other tools you should need are the screwdrivers and the allan key
so u didnt need to extend ur wires what so ever?
or solder anything?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
nope, I had to pull the wires a bit to make them fit, but they stretched far enough on these lights

Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
perfect thats what i wanted to know
im gonna try to do it tomorrow if it doesnt rain =)
thank you soo much

Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
removing factory taillights

does anyone know the trick to removing the factory taillights?...i have purchased a set of leds and i cannot remove the bottom portion of the taillight?...is there a trick to getting these things out?...thanx

Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
i havent done it but there is a write up on it somewhere in here

Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
look on for sale threads, albert from N1 concepts did a DIY thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 AM
recently installed a tailgate to my 2003 honda jazz , worked perfectly, except as the car hadnt been used the electircs couldnt be tested at the time, the locking lighting etc work perfect. the icon on the dash board however for door open remains on , im assuming there is a fault some where in the tailgate .

if anyone knows of any regarding this please holla !

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Yep. This is officially going to suck.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
that's one thing i don't like about fit, you have to take the bumper off to get to the tail-light, the tail-light from my lude needs 3 nuts to be loosen to get off

Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
koolkevin installed my tail lights and didn't have to remove the rear bumper. he just used a longer screw driver to remove the bottom ones. he also cut off the alignment tabs so the lights sit flush - practically OEM fitment

Originally Posted by vile10
that's one thing i don't like about fit, you have to take the bumper off to get to the tail-light, the tail-light from my lude needs 3 nuts to be loosen to get off

Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM
i reversed into a telephone box , then a lamppost in the space of a week, my bumpers alinement's is totally messed up, the tail gate has these two rubber screws adjusters on either side of the boot entrance, that you can adjust , which helped take the pressure of the bumper from the accident , doesnt look so bad now, not sure if the rear will need a pull again !

Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Someone hit my car and broke my rear left taillight (didn't leave a note or anything.) Only the glass broke; all the bulbs are functioning.

I bought a replacement taillight from bernardiparts.com and it arrives tomorrow. I'm going to try replacing it myself obviously; am I really going to have to take off the entire bumper? I'm really hoping what GD3_wagoon said above I can do... any other help?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM
well i couldn't do it. i guess i need a ratchet; i couldn't get the nuts off of the taillight. all i have is pliers

Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 PM
suggestions?

I know nothing about fit. My wife has an 08 fit. Both tail lights are out and pep boys told her it was "electrical" problems, but it would cost her 100 dollars to check. Any suggestions? They put new bulbs on it. Thanks.
STEVE

Quick Reply: DIY Taillight install