Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   headlights off with ignition? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/14462-headlights-off-ignition.html)

arsonall 06-10-2007 04:31 AM

headlights off with ignition?

okay, here is my problem. i can't get used to the headlights working independent from the ignition. my old car (04 wrx) made it impossible to keep the headlights on...once the key was taken out, the headlights turned off.

can anyone help me with this? i want to make the power to the headlights tied into the ignition. with the key in any position but off, the headlights can be turned on, but if you turn off the car, the headlights go off.

Spule 4 06-10-2007 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by arsonall (Post 147475)
okay, here is my problem. i can't get used to the headlights working independent from the ignition. my old car (04 wrx) made it impossible to keep the headlights on...once the key was taken out, the headlights turned off.

can anyone help me with this? i want to make the power to the headlights tied into the ignition. with the key in any position but off, the headlights can be turned on, but if you turn off the car, the headlights go off.

Watching this, as after years of Toytoa ownership, this is one of my biggest dislikes in the Honda, along with the doorlocks.

AppleMac*Fit 06-10-2007 06:56 PM

Just use the Accessory side of the ignition switch as power for a relay. Then hook that power as the control power for an automotive relay that is used as a switch for your headlights (use on the normally-open contacts). What you'll want to cut is the wire that outputs from the headlight switch (in the 'on' position), and use those as the other leads to the relay.

A suggested relay is from Radio Shack: Catalog# 275-226, 12 VDC/30 Ampere SPST Automotive Relay. $6.49

The wiring diagram will be on the back of the relay's packaging. But here are better instructions (to avoid re-inventing the wheel):

Relays, Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Automotive Relays

This would allow you to accomplish your goals of having the lights on only when the car is on.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes...

kentris 06-11-2007 11:10 AM

How hard is it to turn off the headlights with your hand?

Packy 06-11-2007 07:16 PM

Our Subaru Forester turns its lights off, which my wife and I love. With the Fit, once you take the keys out the car just calls you a ding-dong until you turn them off. Seriously, listen next time you get out, it keeps saying *ding* *dong* over and over ;)

AppleMac*Fit 06-11-2007 07:17 PM

Headlights

Originally Posted by kentris (Post 147742)

Depends...

People like to upgrade their cars in various ways - some for convenience (automatic headlights), some for vanity (painted brake calipers). For instance, in your signature you state that you painted your calipers red. That seems nonsensical to most folks... It's all perspective. :D

chjl 06-11-2007 10:24 PM

You could get something like this:

Hamsar AUTOMATIC LOW-BEAM HEADLIGHT CONTROL : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

arsonall 06-12-2007 01:20 AM

i don't leave them on, i hear the beep and just want them to turn off with the ignition. i don't think it sounds lazy to add a mod that allows me to just keep the headlights on and not worry about turning them on or off.

AppleMac*Fit 06-12-2007 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by arsonall (Post 148020)
i don't think it sounds lazy to add a mod that allows me to just keep the headlights on and not worry about turning them on or off.

I don't think it's lazy, either. I miss that feature from my Ford Exploder... PLUS - it would lower my insurance costs (USAA insurance).

As soon as I get back home to my Fit (I'm away on a business trip), I'm going to add the feature.

Spule 4 06-25-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by kentris (Post 147742)

Me, it is the convienience factor, but the Toyotas were the only cars with this. Actually, I pretty much "auto pilot" turn the lights on and off every time I drive the car, have been doing this for years.

I also cancel my own turn signals due to the first two cars I owned were Citroens without canceling indicators....and I have not owned a Citroen in many many many years....old habbits I guess?

Spule 4 06-25-2007 11:06 PM

Oh yeah, I am lazy.....

kps 06-26-2007 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit (Post 148245)
PLUS - it would lower my insurance costs

How does that work? "I drink to forget... to turn my headlights off."

arsonall 06-26-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by kps (Post 151907)
How does that work? "I drink to forget... to turn my headlights off."

if they go off automatically, you can keep them on all the time, making it a safety feature (DRL), thus lowering insurance costs.

sterVin 06-27-2007 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by chjl (Post 147955)

does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Would the Fit need the high voltage, low voltage, or is it entirely up to me?

"Choose high- or low-voltage model. High-voltage is perfect if you normally drive shorter distances. Low beams stay on at full power. Low-voltage is best for long distance drivers. Low beams stay on at 24% less voltage to extend headlamp life."

toasty 06-28-2007 01:54 AM

For anyone looking to enable Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on your USDM Fit, take a look here. If the wiring harness has the correct connector, it may be possible to use a few Canadian parts to enable the DRLs. I don't want to hack up my soon-to-arrive Fit's wiring harness for a JC Whitney kludge if all I need are a few modules from Honda.

If any Canadians would like to help out their southern pals, it'd be swell if you'd price the needed parts (see below) for enabling our DRLs. I apologize for the South Park movie in advance if it'll help. Also, if you're a fine, upstanding, extremely attractive, very intelligent Canadian Fit owner that has wisely chosen to disable your DRLs, I might be interested in buying some worthless DRL components from you (PM me).

The USDM harness will need to have Connector 14P for any of this to work (it's under the left side of the dash, to the right of the steering column - I think). From the Helms diagrams, it appears you'll need a DRL Control Unit, DRL Relay, Low Beam Cut Relay, DRL CU mounting bracket, and a 10A fuse.

aznguyen316 06-28-2007 02:09 AM

but with having the headlight turn off when ignition off, don't you have to switch it off anyway if you were to drive around town during the day? I mean you don't HAVE to, but what's the point? sure it's kind of like DRL, but it's not.. they're brighter. I mean it's good if you forget but it's still a switch you're going to have to mess with whether it's day or night... it's almost as if you're just make the switch use opposite of what it's for.

toasty 06-28-2007 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by sterVin (Post 152340)
does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Would the Fit need the high voltage, low voltage, or is it entirely up to me?

"Choose high- or low-voltage model. High-voltage is perfect if you normally drive shorter distances. Low beams stay on at full power. Low-voltage is best for long distance drivers. Low beams stay on at 24% less voltage to extend headlamp life."

If you want DRLs, get the low voltage model. If you want your low beams on at 100% power, get the high voltage model. Their description would be more helpful if they simply referred to light output levels instead of talking about voltage.

I really don't like 100% DRLs, but that's your call. If the Canadian Fit DRLs operate like those on the USDM Civic, they use the high beam bulbs at a reduced output, which is a better solution IMO.

sterVin 06-28-2007 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by toasty (Post 152533)
If you want DRLs, get the low voltage model. If you want your low beams on at 100% power, get the high voltage model. Their description would be more helpful if they simply referred to light output levels instead of talking about voltage.

I really don't like 100% DRLs, but that's your call. If the Canadian Fit DRLs operate like those on the USDM Civic, they use the high beam bulbs at a reduced output, which is a better solution IMO.

Okay. Do you personally have one of those or are you just talking from experience? (It's just that if you have experience I have some questions that need answers)

toasty 06-28-2007 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by sterVin (Post 152535)
Okay. Do you personally have one of those or are you just talking from experience? (It's just that if you have experience I have some questions that need answers)

I don't have this item, but the description states it's for 12V negative grounded vehicles, so it's not like there's a concern about whether you plan to use this on a 6,12, or 24V car. Looks pretty expensive, too.

sterVin 06-28-2007 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by toasty (Post 152538)
Looks pretty expensive, too.

$73 is worth having my mom no longer complain about my new car :D