Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Odd Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Odd Sound

A few months ago I installed a K&N air filter and some window vent visors. I say this because around the same time, actually a few days after, I started to hear a strange noise while driving. It only happens between 40-45 MPH, not 39 and not 46. It sounds like "woo woo woo"

Also there is a "brrrrrrr" noise that stays fairly constant through all speeds, but is especially noticeable while I'm coasting or slowing down. Basically whenever I'm not hitting the gas.

I'm wondering if anyone here can give me any ideas as to what it is. I know it started shortly after the after market filter was put in, but it doesn't really sound like an engine noise. Its more like tire sounds. Is there any way my alignment could have gotten off? I didn't hit anything or do anything that would make me think it would be off and the car is only a year old, but a friend says it sounds like alignment.

I had it inspected by Honda between when it started and now, but they didn't have anything to say about it.

Any information would be helpful.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
To see if it's the window vent visors, you could temporaritly tape them down to the window. I don't think a few miles with duct tape on them would have any lasting effects.

I don't think you would be hearing induction noise from a drop-in K&N filter with the stock airbox. But if it's a ram tube system, you could isolate that by CAREFULLY shifting to different gears (even with an automatic) to see if different RPMs at the same speed make the noise come or go.

Lastly you could rotate your tires and see if that changes the noise. If it is the tires it may sound different but not be gone after you rotate (front to rear and cross the rears).

Let us know the results. I think it might be the ventvisors...

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
sounds to me like its your visors...im an electriction...kinda reminds me of the sound it makes when ive got extension ladders on the truck...small gaps in the ladder make a wooooooooooo sound....may be the visors arent on there good enough?

<-drunk so if sound stupid, ignore me, hahaha.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Could be the tires.......how long since they've been rotated?

Old 09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm gonna try the vent visors thing first, if that doesn't fix it I'll find a time when i can use the lift at my buddies shop to do tire rotation. I hope its just the vent visors, I don't want to have to fix alignment or tire problems.

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Its not the vent visors... I just took them off to test it and the sound was exactly the same. I'll put them back on once i get this figured out.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok, it seems to be a wheel bearing. I just got it checked out by a local mechanic who instantly said wheel bearing upon hearing the noise. I called honda to get a check/repair appointment and told them I thought it was a wheel bearing and the sound it was making. They agreed that it was most likely a bearing. Its under warranty and I'll be having it worked on wednesday morning, as long as i can make it home without the bearing exploding or something. I'll post the results.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Got it repaired today and it was indeed a wheel bearing. I love my warranty; it was totally free of charge.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TrickyPantz
Got it repaired today and it was indeed a wheel bearing. I love my warranty; it was totally free of charge.
TP,
It's a good thing that you took care of this right away, and very odd for such a failure to happen so early. It is a very long time between the suggested service intervals for wheel bearings (clean, inspect, re-pack with grease, reassemble and adjust tension).

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
This happen to me also(23,000 miles), I've been doing some research and I think it is more common than you think. I would suggest that every Fit owner listen out for this on you cars.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Let's fix this wheel bearing issue once and for all

Recall all Honda Jazz / FIT due to defective Wheel Bearings Petition