Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
From the description, it sounds like the engine is missing (low fuel at the injector or lack of spark) under high load.

I'd go back to basics before getting into something esoteric. I noticed the original poster's car is an 07. Have you done all the basic maintenance? Spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap/rotor (if the fit has these), along with the fuel filter could cause this (especially fuel filter). Another culprit I've seen is water in the fuel - the water sloshes around the tank or filter occasionally interrupting the flow of fuel. Run a container of dry gas through your system. Check all fluid levels including tranny fluid.

If you've done these things, then it may be a sensor, a clogged injector, or the fuel pump and a trip to a mechanic might be worthwhile.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
could be crappy gas

Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM
I usually put 91 or higher octane.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
I just got a call from the service department. They were unable to duplicate the issue or find anything wrong. Somewhat frustrating.

All basic maintenance has been done on schedule (plugs and wires after 40K?) and by the dealership - I like to have the dealer do everything until the car is out of warranty.

He did say that one of the computers needed a software update, but not sure that is going to do anything.

They are taking it out for another test drive, but I'm not hopeful. The issue is fairly benign, its not like the engine shuts down or anything, really at highway speeds it feels like you hit a stick in the road or something.

John - sorry the story is not better!

If they find something I'll update. Bummer as my warranty is up in about 2K miles.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
wow that sucks they couldn't duplicate it? why not go for a drive WITH them in the car because you are the only one that can do it.

I did get mine temporarily fixed, i took the new spark plug gaps from .44mm down to .40mm and it did stop for a couple days then came back.

Also, one day i was driving home at night and i got a HARD one and then i saw my check engine light flashing for about 10 seconds then turned off on me. I was doing 75 in 5th gear going up a slight incline. I wish the light stayed on so i could diagnose what the problem was but since it turned off while i was driving, i couldn't test it.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Next step

Yeah, I'll take a ride with them as a next step. I was hoping to save a little of MY time.

John

Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Update: I just got a call from the dealer - they duplicated the problem and say that the engine is misfiring. The weird thing is its misfiring on random cylinders. Not sure how they determined that, but I'm happy they saw it happen. They say that they need another day to figure out what is causing the misfire - electrical or fuel.

John

Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Let us know what they find.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I like to guess

Originally Posted by Jisch
Update: I just got a call from the dealer - they duplicated the problem and say that the engine is misfiring. The weird thing is its misfiring on random cylinders. Not sure how they determined that, but I'm happy they saw it happen. They say that they need another day to figure out what is causing the misfire - electrical or fuel.

John
If it's on random cylinders, my money's on something electrical. The ignition module, distributor or a wire (not one of the ones to the plugs).

Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Just getting back to post up the info - I don't think the "fix" matches the data, but here it goes:

So they said hooked up a HDS (Honda Diagnosis System?) after experiencing the problem themselves and found that the car was misfiring on random pistons, they saw misses on cylinders 2,3 and 4. I am a bit upset they didn't hook the car up based on our experience - not sure why THEY had to experience it before they would troubleshoot.

They found that the connector for sparkplug number 4 was not fully seated. After reseating the connector the skipping went away. I actually haven't driven the car since we got it back but my wife and son report no skipping.

I am confused about how a loose connector on one cylinder could cause another cylinder to skip. I guess as long as the problem is fixed I'm ok, but I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few months.

John

Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Skipping

Well I'm glad they found what seems to be the problem. Did you have a check engine light on?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
No check engine light, and they didn't fix my problem. I drove the car last night for the first time since the "repair" its still skipping. I'll have to bring it down again. ARGH! I knew that the "fix" didn't match the symptoms.

John

Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe its the torque converter locking up.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry its been so long since I have posted. I had my Fit in the shop 2 different times for a total of 4 days. After the second time in I thought it was fixed. They said they cleaned the fuel injectors and adjusted the valve timing. Yesterday I was driving the car and it happened again quite a few times. Back to the shop I guess.
John

Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Stutter

That's too bad. Keep us posted on the outcome. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MelFeliFJ
Just wondering if anyone has resolved this problem or if they have any other ideas?

I believe its trash in your gasoline. Where do you buy gas? Con store or real gas station?

And the poster who said he cleaned his injectors didn't say how. Gumout or what?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Any updates on this? My car suddenly had the hiccups today

Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jisch
I'm not sure exactly how to describe the issue I'm having with my '07 Fit S - Auto, but I'll try.

It seems to happen two times - when I'm at a stop sign and when I'm on the highway travelling at a constant speed. I highly suspect it happens other times, this may be the only time its noticeable.

When driving down a flat stretch of highway at a constant speed it almost feels like you hit a small bump in the road, though I could also describe it as a slight hesitation. The transmission is not shifting and it happens whether or not the AC is on (i.e. its not the compressor engaging). I've watched the tach when it happens and it does register as a slight decrease in engine speed - though it doesn't feel like the engine is skipping or anything. More like the engine is being asked to pick up additional load.

The second time I feel it is when I'm at a stop sign with the car in gear and foot on the brake, it feels like the transmission drops in and out of gear - again like a slight bump. It happens worse when the AC is on, and like on the highway, I can see the event happen on the tach.

I'm calling the shop tomorrow (I have 4K miles to go on my warranty). I tried searching and couldn't find anything here - though I imagine there are many ways to describe this issue.

Anyone have any ideas? I find its far better to go into the shop with more information. I am fearful that they will be unable to duplicate the problem or say "its the way it is" when I know this only started happening a few weeks ago. I would suspect that issues like this would be noticeable during acceleration, but its not. Right now I think its transmission related, but that's just an opinion based on limited facts.

John

Based on what you've said i bet on water in the gas or a bad distributor coil.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:36 PM
My car has been doing this for about a year. Any updates? Its getting worse and worse now wanting to die while stopped. Doesnt matter if the ac is on or off, hill or no hill, cruising or accelerating. Though it doesnt seem to do it under hard acceleration.

I tried to run two different code readers on it and both readers said the car is not communicating with the readers. Any ideas on that one? No check engine lights.

Plugs have been changed and in-tank filter has been changed too. We buy our gas from "real" stations.

Freaking annoying

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
You said in another thread that your car has 112k miles already. At what mileage did you start to notice this problem happening? My car has 105k already, changed the plugs at 101k and suddenly, I feel this hesitation today. I don't know if one of my plugs is defective or if my coil packs are starting to go.

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"