Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself
View Poll Results: Should I change my brake pads or should I have the dealer do them?
Do it yourself.
74.83%
Bring it to the dealer.
25.17%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pad Change

Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Brake Pad Change

Hey,

I used to do all my own brake pad changes. For the Fit, do you think I should get them done at the dealer or should I do them at home?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
This is a good question. I would change my own brake pads to save on labor cost as long as I have the right tools. I would invest in quality brake pads that would last longer and give me better performance so i wont have to do it often.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
if you know how to check your rotors and bleed fluid, do it yourself!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
DIY!
And you don't have to bleed them...
Use a C clamp or giant slip-joint pliers to compress the pistons.
MAKE SURE THAT THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR IS NOT FULL!
It should be low anyways if your pads are low.
Last thing you want is to push BF all over your engine bay
I would go ahead and change the rotors while your at it. Most people believe in turning rotors, i DO NOT. Manufacturers already make the new rotors to thin tolerances, so turning the rotor for another 30k mi usage is unsafe.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM
DIY!
I would go ahead and change the rotors while your at it. Most people believe in turning rotors, i DO NOT. Manufacturers already make the new rotors to thin tolerances, so turning the rotor for another 30k mi usage is unsafe.
I use the C Clamp method as well. I only have 12,000 miles on the car. But, I'm starting to wonder how the pads are doing.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drzenitram
if you know how to check your rotors and bleed fluid, do it yourself!
u dont have to bleed lines to change pads. Changing pads in pretty much any car is ez breezy. hour max project.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM
DIY!

yea i also dont beleive in turning rotors, BULL SHIT. a new set is cheap enough. especially if you have some hookups

Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by dbcmaster
I use the C Clamp method as well. I only have 12,000 miles on the car. But, I'm starting to wonder how the pads are doing.
put some light on the subject
Visiual inspection is a good indicator on brake pads.
As for rotors, check for streaks, discoloration, dark spots (hot spots), and run your finger on the very edge of the rotor to check for a lip.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 AM
what happend to taking it to a shop option.

hmm well i know how to change my breaks but i tend not to do it. i just take it to my friends shop. when i change my breaks ceramic pads and ss lines ftw

Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 AM
wuss

I know I could do it myself but Honda's gonna handle it this time. I want my Honda documentation PERFECT as a possible sales/warranty issue.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
i got myself a set of dixcel pads, but dont no if i shud give them to honda to fit while im gettin the service.. i want to see wat conditions the old pads r in.. personally i think the brakes r crap...

Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jezzy's jazz
i got myself a set of dixcel pads, but dont no if i shud give them to honda to fit while im gettin the service.. i want to see wat conditions the old pads r in.. personally i think the brakes r crap...
i agree about the factory brakes being crap. with a Fit load of people, the brake fade is scary-dangerous! even when engine braking, it's like the car refuses to stop

i'll be changing up my pads soon too

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Any recommendations on good pads to replace to the OEM ones?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
bump^

Old 09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I will take it to the dealer. Hek I have the money plus I don't want to waste my time doing it. I will leave it to the pro...

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
i think this fit was the easiest brake pad change i ever did, it literally took me about 20 minutes to do(something the dealer would take up to an hour and charge you about 160+) i have worked on hondas all my life(DA's mostly) and was hoping that the routine would be the same, i was super glad that it was and it was so easy i was kind of scared that i did something wrong(even though i know i didn't) since i didn thave my jack with me, the hardest part was jacking the car up with the jack that comes with the fit. other than that, piece of cake. if anyone in the Orange/Anaheim/Santa ana area needs help, i would more than happy to help....trust me it's easy.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Yea changing pads is really easy.

And if you want something with more bite buy a set of Hawk pads or EBC's for a base Acura RSX.. they line right up no problem. Dont believe me go to a Honda dealer or any auto parts store and compare them side by side ... same sheet!!

I'm using Hawk HPS... and I like them, with slotted rotors from power slot... good combo

Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
DIY for sure. Dealer FTL.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe

And if you want something with more bite buy a set of Hawk pads or EBC's for a base Acura RSX.. they line right up no problem. Dont believe me go to a Honda dealer or any auto parts store and compare them side by side ... same sheet!!

I'm using Hawk HPS... and I like them, with slotted rotors from power slot... good combo

Hawk HPS pads FTW! if you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost you? everywhere i've seen sells them for $70-$85 for the two front pads.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe

Where did you buy the pads and rotors?
2006 RSX?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pad Change