Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/32575-mugen-short-shifter-vs-t1r-quick-shift-vs-stock.html)

loud_tiger 10-10-2008 05:31 PM

Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock

Can someone take a picture comparing all of these?

The Mugen one looks like it retains most of the stock parts except for the lever. The T1R is just the lever, but how does it differ from the stock one?

vince 10-10-2008 06:35 PM

they are all going to look the same

trancedsailor 10-10-2008 10:47 PM

I'm going with Mugen and H-Fit hard mounts, plus skunk2 knob. That's probably the best combo for quick, precise shifting in the Fit

B1str0 10-10-2008 10:50 PM

i have the skunk2 short shift kit and skunk2 knob.. feels great i've sat in other cars with mugen ss and it feels the same to me besides that it sits a little lower

Nabisco 10-16-2008 07:08 PM

From what I have heard by a couple of mechanics, short shifters are not good for FWD cars. They cause premature wear on the synchros of the transmission.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

loud_tiger 10-17-2008 10:04 AM

why fwd cars?

GD3-Fit 10-17-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nabisco (Post 460221)
From what I have heard by a couple of mechanics, short shifters are not good for FWD cars. They cause premature wear on the synchros of the transmission.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

eh?????
never heard of that :confused:

JDMxGE8 10-17-2008 11:08 AM

Short shifters give you a shorter throw, but doesn't make shift "faster". It's just the feel. You're not actually shifting quicker than if you have a stock shifter.

Nabisco 10-17-2008 11:21 AM

why fwd cars?
I don't know. That is why I was asking.

It's just the feel. You're not actually shifting quicker than if you have a stock shifter.
If that was true then why do they make them?

I think that it would eventually increase wear on the synchros over time. I guess because you are engaging into gear quicker. I did find another thread on this subject here and it is 9+ pages. I will check that out when I have time.
It was nice to have one when I did, I'm just not certain I want to install that on my new car so soon.

JDMxGE8 10-17-2008 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nabisco (Post 461063)
I don't know. That is why I was asking.

If that was true then why do they make them?

I think that it would eventually increase wear on the synchros over time. I guess because you are engaging into gear quicker. I did find another thread on this subject here and it is 9+ pages. I will check that out when I have time.
It was nice to have one when I did, I'm just not certain I want to install that on my new car so soon.

If you want the shorter throw, then get it. But I stuck with the stock shifter for my DB8. I'm thinking about getting a shifter extender.

YeeFit 10-17-2008 12:40 PM

The Mugen one replaces everything... lever and assembly. I have the mugen one and i have had ZERO problems with it. The feel is great and the installation is simple.

wdb 10-18-2008 09:40 PM

Mugen replaces the entire inside assembly. Lever is approximately 1" shorter than stock.

T1R is the lever only. In pictures the lever appears to be about as long as the stocker. I have yet to see a picture of the T1R installed.

kelsodeez 10-18-2008 10:07 PM

i have the mugen short shifter. to tell you the truth, i wasnt that impressed by it when i first put it in. i had the spoon knob on it and i didnt realize that the spoon knob sits really high, i just got a new arc shift knob and it changed to whole feel of shifting. now it really feels like a short thorw.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...t/DSCN0628.jpg

kylerwho 10-18-2008 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is something if you want a short throw.
Attachment 74296
i just pulled the stock lever out and cut off 3.5 inches and welded the threaded end by the dog leg in the lever. now the know only moves about 1 inch from each shift. i have skunk2 knob and short shift mounts.
i spy kelsodeez old spoon knob in the arc ox on the floor.

trancedsailor 10-19-2008 12:28 PM

wow both look really nice :)

azkikersfit 10-19-2008 09:34 PM

so the T1r short shifter dont do shit? can someone please share some info on this if any one has it installed

tougerunner86 10-19-2008 10:54 PM

Short shifter kits are bad for your gearbox. Learn to shift faster lol

kylerwho 10-19-2008 11:24 PM

im definately a synchro slayer!

sevenaprils 10-20-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tougerunner86 (Post 464000)
Short shifter kits are bad for your gearbox. Learn to shift faster lol

Can you elaborate on that? Why is that?

Would the Mugen kit be considered "bad" even though it replaces the whole assembly?

loud_tiger 10-20-2008 09:57 AM

is the lever the only thing different on the mugen one? in other words, are they giving me a stock plastic assembly with a new lever installed? i believe the height stays the same on the T1R lever, but the shifts are reduced because the other end of the lever is longer.