Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to Change Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
How to Change Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Anyone have experience with this? It seems much more complicated than the manual change.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
with the automatic change you gotta watch the oil levels with the dip stick cause you can fill it too full. the manual there is a sideways fill port so you cant fill it up too much.

i have not changed the trans oil on an auto fit yet but im sure i will eventually.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
What about the flush process though? Anyone done this and willing to do a DIY on this topic? I am sure it would be very popular. Here is a site for mazda 3 ATX fluid change.

How to: Install Transmission Cooler & Flush 8 quarts of ATF.

I am guessing our process should be similar, though I am not experienced enough to do this change on my Honda Fit using a Mazda 3 DIY.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
do NOT flush the honda autotragic.

a honda "flush" is change the fluid, drive for 100 miles, change fluid, drive for 100 miles, and change fluid again

Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
do NOT flush the honda autotragic.

a honda "flush" is change the fluid, drive for 100 miles, change fluid, drive for 100 miles, and change fluid again
Correct & the Mazda example is apples to oranges. Honda slushboxes are unlike any other & thus you cannot compare to another mfg. My personal experience changing slushbox fluid is limited so if anyone out there has a service manual will you post if this is covered in the manual. If the Fit is like a typical Honda slushbox then it is pretty much drain & fill (usually around 3 quarts).

They are usually quite similar to changing a manual fluid but you fill from the dipstick hole instead of the fill hole on a manual. Be advised to only use GENUINE HONDA fluid. You will likely trash your tranny of you don't. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BuffaloHonda
Correct & the Mazda example is apples to oranges. Honda slushboxes are unlike any other & thus you cannot compare to another mfg. My personal experience changing slushbox fluid is limited so if anyone out there has a service manual will you post if this is covered in the manual. If the Fit is like a typical Honda slushbox then it is pretty much drain & fill (usually around 3 quarts).

They are usually quite similar to changing a manual fluid but you fill from the dipstick hole instead of the fill hole on a manual. Be advised to only use GENUINE HONDA fluid. You will likely trash your tranny of you don't. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
yep. people that say they have their honda autotragic POWER flushed are retarded. drain and fill only

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Just did the change today on my GE8. It was very simple. If you can change the oil then you can change the ATF.

You need a 3/8 socket wrench. The drain bolt is marked blue. Make sure you wipe off the metal shavings on the magnetic drain bolt. I torqued the bolt back to 29ft lbs and used a long tubed funnel on the dipstick tube.

2.6qts of Honda ATF DW-1 is what I used as recommended in the manual. My fluid was a little purplish in color. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM
where was your drain plug located? I've been hearing different stories that the automatic transmissions don't have a drain plug. I'm trying to do the same thing and want to make sure that I do it the right way. Do you also have an automatic transmission? Pix maybe?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 PM
did your question ever get answered? I'm trying to do the same thing but I don't think the automatic has a drain plug. your post never got answered and it ended up switching the topic about Flushing instead?. What about the automatic transmission? Can it be drained or what?

2008 honda fit

Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
search this site using Google to find more posts

site:www.fitfreak.net/forums change transmission fluid

Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Interesting..I had mine drained and filled at 60K miles, then again at 30k miles..from the dealer for warranty purposes. Now that it over 113k miles, I wanted to do it myself.
A mechanic said NEVER FLUSH it..umm ok. What they do is disconnect a feed line near the radiator and flush it like that. I was like..What? A flush is a flush right? He said as the engine is running and flowing out old fluid, they put in fresh fluid at the same time until it turns the pink color. Then shut everything down. Does that sound right? I'm down with the drain, fill, drive some and then repeat.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stetson-100x
Interesting..I had mine drained and filled at 60K miles, then again at 30k miles...
Interesting indeed, 30k in a time warp and all you needed was a change of tranny fluid

Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM
I had someone do it at 57k then myself at 84k. I didn't like the color of the stuff that came out so I did 2 drain and fills and plan to do a third next year. Raise it up, losen the cap with a bare socket wrench, drain for 30 minutes, replace the cap, lower it. put 2.75 quarts in and keep driving arround the block, shut off, check and add, then go arround the block again until you achieve optimal level. Checking the level is a pain as it has to be checked 30-90 seconds after shutting off the engine. BTW I needed 3 1/4 quarts most of the guides say have 3 quarts ready. Maybe draining it with the front up causes more fluid to come out.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:00 AM
I'd recommend doing a drain fill every 15k miles. It is inexpensive and Honda transmissions can be delicate. I disagree with MM's 60k recommendation for the first drain fill.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sschoe2@gmail.com
... I needed 3 1/4 quarts most of the guides say have 3 quarts ready. Maybe draining it with the front up causes more fluid to come out.
A very good point you make. My 2013 took about 3-1/2 QT of ATF with filter change.

I bought my Fit used at near 60K Miles and immediately worked a drain and fill with filter replacement. The transmission hadn't been previously serviced and what came out looked awful and my magnetic drain plug was full of black goo. I plan to do another drain and fill in about 10K Miles to give me more peace of mind.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 AM
There is an external trans filter located behind the battery compartment. looks like a fuel filter. I change mine every 5 k miles..It's not a flush, rather a change of the old with the new fluid. After a while you will have blood red fluid doing the change. Just like I did..the fluid came out looking brand new and the plug was free of debris.
Only use Honda trans fluid. They are real finicky.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Looking down at the radiator, which Transmission line goes in and which comes out of the radiator, the left/right?

And what is total capacity of a 2013 Fit?

I'm planning on changing the ATF, using the 'disconnect radiator cooler line' method.

Also planning on using AMSOil Signature ATL Tranny Fluid

z

Old 10-28-2016, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zardiw
Looking down at the radiator, which Transmission line goes in and which comes out of the radiator, the left/right?

And what is total capacity of a 2013 Fit?

I'm planning on changing the ATF, using the 'disconnect radiator cooler line' method.

Also planning on using AMSOil Signature ATL Tranny Fluid

z
Probably need a bit more than 3 qts, depends on how much additional is in the cooler/lines, which is how much I have to refill using the drain plug on my '09 Fit.

Quick Reply: How to Change Automatic Transmission Fluid?