Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Timing Chain question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
pNz
5 Year Member
Timing Chain question...

Whats the recommended miles I should have before replacing the timing chain? Thanks in advance. Ive searched online and everyone has a different story from 60k to 105k. I checked the manuals that the car came with as well, with no luck. Im at 78k right now :|

Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 PM
This engine has a chain drive and not a belt. Chains don't need to be changed out like a belt at 75-100K, they last for the life of the engine.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Timing chains usually (under normal operating conditions) do not need to be replaced. They should last the life of the engine.

Obviously if you are going to take the time to rebuild an engine (new piston rings, etc...), you are probably going to replace the timing chain.

However, timing chains do need to be periodically adjusted, as they "stretch" a bit as they wear.

You know it is time to adjust the timing chain when you hear the chain
"slapping" itself against the guides.

I have had to do a few timing chain adjustments but those were mostly on MB Diesels with over 350k miles.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about the timing chain on the Fit.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by warren561
You know it is time to adjust the timing chain when you hear the chain "slapping" itself against the guides.
I sometimes hear a sound at low RPMs that I cannot identify but sounds similar to what you're describing. Is it normal to hear the timing chain at low RPMs? Just wondering, always paranoid about something going wrong. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I sometimes hear a sound at low RPMs that I cannot identify but sounds similar to what you're describing. Is it normal to hear the timing chain at low RPMs? Just wondering, always paranoid about something going wrong. Thanks.
Timing chain slap basically makes your car sound like its an old (non-common rail injected) diesel. Think mid 80's Mercedes or VW diesel.

Here's a sound clip from a VW (gasoline engine) with a really bad slap.
http://www.agthompsonfamily.com/vw/TimingChainNoise.wma

secondpassed, define low RPM's? Are you talking at idle? Or below 2,000? Usually if its below 2,000 and you're accelerating, it is the variable-valve timing mechanisms. Those are adjusting themselves to the optimal position during "normal" acceleration. That will sound like a popping sound (similar to if the engine was pinging or knocking).

Bottom line: Perfectly normal.

On the other hand, if you're hearing the pinging or knocking sound at a higher RPM (ie 3500+), it is most likely NOT the variable-valve timing. In this case, your car really is pinging (aka knocking). Not to get too far off topic, but if you hear this, turn off (or on the A/C), then try the exact same acceleration conditions again. If the sound goes away then it most likely is the engine pinging. Try switching to a higher octane fuel and see if the noise goes away. Many potential sources of engine pinging (Anti-knock sensor, MAF, ETM, gummed injector, O2 sensor, the list goes on). Probably cheapest (and easiest) to switch to a higher octane rating.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Have you adjusted the valves yet? They are mechanical...like on a motorcycle...and not hydraulic. They need to be adjusted about every 60K. That creates a sound too.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by warren561
secondpassed, define low RPM's? Are you talking at idle? Or below 2,000? Usually if its below 2,000 and you're accelerating, it is the variable-valve timing mechanisms. Those are adjusting themselves to the optimal position during "normal" acceleration. That will sound like a popping sound (similar to if the engine was pinging or knocking).

Bottom line: Perfectly normal.
I hear the noise usually below 2,000 rpm. I have a GD, though, so below 2,000 rpms VTEC is not engaged at all. Perhaps it's just normal valvetrain noise? Which brings me to the next *queston*...

Originally Posted by Jodele
Have you adjusted the valves yet? They are mechanical...like on a motorcycle...and not hydraulic. They need to be adjusted about every 60K. That creates a sound too.
I haven't had the valves adjusted yet. I'm at 47k miles. I was led to believe the Fit needs no servicing other than oil changes / brakes / tires until 100k miles. I'm planning to change AT fluid at 50k or 60k since I drive a lot of hills, but having the valves adjusted so soon seems odd. I had heard it needs to be done and was planning on it being part of my 100k mile maintenance. Could being (reasonably) rough on the car cause the valves to need to be adjusted so soon?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 AM
gd 3 doesnt really need more then tires, brakes, ect normal wear items till 100k. unless you beat it or drive in SEVERE conditions. im at 60k, new tires, oil changes and tranny fluid is all i have done( and windsheild wipers haha). runs great and i drive her hard every day (nothin rediculous, just fun motoring) and i have had no probs. thinkin bout changin clutch, fly wheel, brake pads and rotors soon, just for preventative maintenance and upgades soon. then spark plugs, tranny fluid( again) and valve adjustment at 100k. these cars are great!