Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

What brake pads are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
What brake pads are you guys using?

It's about time for me to change out the front pads, so I was wondering what you guys were using? Autozone sells the regular Duralast pads for about $20, Duralast gold for $54, or I can get pads at Honda for $40.

This is for my wife's daily, she doesn't need anything aggressive just a normal pad that's quiet and works well. Thanks guys

Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I would stick with Genuine Honda brake pads. Quality

Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F!TzME
I would stick with Genuine Honda brake pads. Quality
^^ x2

Factory Honda pads come with all shims, and brake grease, too.

Haven't changed the pads in our Fit yet, but if you are tired of cleaning brake dust, the ceramics are a great way to go. I have installed Akebono and Centrix brand ceramic pads on two other cars and I'm amazed at the cleanliness of the wheels.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
^^Couldn't agree more.

I can't say I'm seeing a whole lot of dust coming off the original pads. I've been a huge fan of ceramic's though, but on larger vehicles. If/when I change I'm seeing no reason not to go with the factory set-up.

I've seen guys in the forum going for the slotted rotors. Bragging rights because they're so visible for sure but a total waste of $$'s but to each his own, don't wanna open that door.

I'm interested in how the caliper housing holds up. Will it stay nice and shiny or get that spotted look to it. Any one paint theirs?
K_C_

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
I have Tanabe brake pads on my car, the orange variety.

Anyone who's complained about how dusty the stock Honda/Nissin brake pads ain't seen nothing yet - the Tanabes are way dustier. I have white wheels, so I know They do have slightly better retardation than stock though.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Ceramic

I've been interested in the ceramics, as well.

Has anyone used the ceramics on Fits for lots of miles? Do they stop as well? Makes me think they would be more prone to cracking after repeated hard use????

Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Some think they fade a bit more than composites - no exserience with FIT's but my 96Sedan Deville loved them. Do a google and check some of the big name sites like Raybestos. They are good performers, does a FIT need them - only if you think so I guess.
K_C

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I'm interested in how the caliper housing holds up. Will it stay nice and shiny or get that spotted look to it. Any one paint theirs?
K_C_

Our Fit's calipers are not painted (yet) and don't look too bad.

We painted the calipers on our CR-V and Acura. We used G2 caliper paint:

G2 - High Temp Brake Caliper Paint System Set

which is available in 11 colors! (I DARE someone to try the Pink...)

The Acura was done almost 7 years ago now, and still looks good. The CR-V's paint is good after 4 years.

Occasionally they get a chip or two that I just touch up with a dab of high temp engine paint. (The G2 is catalyzed so once it is mixed, you can't save it)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Using ProjectMu HC+ on all 4 corners. Complete overkill if you are not actually using the car in an agressive nature. I'm always very late and hard on the brakes (makes up time on circuit if you know what you are doing) and the stock pads would not be able to handle this type of abuse very long.

If you are just looking for a good daily pad, the stock pad will suffice. Want better stopping with stock components, upgrade your rubber.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Don't need more stopping power, just a good daily pad. Has anyone used the Duralast pads from Autozone? How does it compare to the OE pads?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I put the duralast on my buddy's accord last weekend. He said it stopped like new again. No noise and they fit like factory. I have no experience with them on the Fit though. I am planning on doing my brakes soon. I will be using the Password JDM rotors and some factory pads. If you havent yet seen the rotors, they are pure sex.
Password:JDM Front Performance Brake Rotors 07-08 Fit | Password JDM

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Using ProjectMu HC+ on all 4 corners. Complete overkill if you are not actually using the car in an agressive nature. I'm always very late and hard on the brakes (makes up time on circuit if you know what you are doing) and the stock pads would not be able to handle this type of abuse very long.

If you are just looking for a good daily pad, the stock pad will suffice. Want better stopping with stock components, upgrade your rubber.
Best advice coming forward IMHO. It really does boil down to where the rubber meets the road.
Thanks sexy!!
K_C_

Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda OEM are really actually quite good street brake pads. If you want something that is a little hotter Hawk HPS are very nice, you do have to warm them up before they will stop really well, and they do dust a bit. But those are both good options for a street driven car.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I much prefer EBC over Hawk for a street performance pad. EBC Green Stuff are Kevlar composite, low dusting and dont need to warm up go get good bite. Hawk are ferrocarbon, dusty like German pads.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm surprised that many people would need brake pads... the Fit hasn't been around that long.

I guess a few may be hitting 50-60K miles.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
what do you mean you have to "warm up the pad before its brakes well"

I was thinking of buying the HAWK HPS Street Brake Pads but this has just confused me !!!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Iron based brakes have always had the issue of not being very good cold. I used Repco Metalmasters in the 1980's, but that was the best available at the time.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by mgrant
what do you mean you have to "warm up the pad before its brakes well"

I was thinking of buying the HAWK HPS Street Brake Pads but this has just confused me !!!
Hawk HPS need some heat before they bite really well. You will fill it at first, but the HPS will warm up even after only a few low speed stops, or one good speed stop.

They are perfectly fine for street use, and once they are warm they are fine, even if you park the car for a short amount of time.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I'm surprised that many people would need brake pads... the Fit hasn't been around that long.

I guess a few may be hitting 50-60K miles.
My stock went out at 15K miles... The 07 Fit stock break went out really fast...when was upgrading the rotors and break lines and I decided to switch over to ceramics; I'm have been using Posi-Quiet Ceramics pads for almost 3 years, total different over stock pads...I drive my like F1 and stop it like f1....

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know if it is this way with anti lock brakes or not but I changed to harder metallic disk pads on my old Town Car with out doing the rear shoes and ended up hitting a deer while driving at 30 or 40 after the rears locked up due to the softer shoe compound and slid over 150'.... I would prefer to have the same type of brake material on both ends.... Stock type pads and shoes are great and stop more quickly unless they are overheated and fade occurs.... High performance pads don't stop as well unless they are hot and have to be crazy ass hot before they fade..... My brakes last well over 100000 miles on cars I have bought new and don't let anyone else drive.

Quick Reply: What brake pads are you guys using?