Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fog light lens repair DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Fog light lens repair DIY?

Anyone have a detailed write up on this?

I just attempted to do it myself and I had trouble getting the silicone to seal correctly and I winded up ruining the lexan lens I made. I wish the Fit fog lights were like the 06+ Civic lights where the lens was surrounded by a black bezel that clipped onto the light assembly and would help me hold the "lens" on.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Anyone at all? The 06+ Civic DIY is worthless as a reference because the lights are assembled differently.

I cut out some lexan in the shape of the lens but I can't get it to stay on there at all.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
i too have a cracked fog light lense. unfortunatly Honda doesnt make a replacement lense for GE's so id have to buy a whole complete assembly $207.

x2 on a DIY write up!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I need this too, BOTH of mine are damaged.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
yep i cracked one of my fog light lenses..

Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
I seemed to have fixed mine but I haven't yet installed it since I didn't get around to painting the bezel yet. I should get that done tonight or tomorrow.

I didn't take pictures because I didn't have a camera around while I was working on it.

I'm worried that when I put the light back on the car and use them, it would burn the lexan after a while. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
i think almost everyone has a cracked fog lens. do you know how much money someone can make by makng a replacement lens for this.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
We'll see how mine came out and then I'll start accepting jobs

Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
I've made replacemet lexan lenses... came out real good looking, then the bastards melted, warped, and bubbled after a month

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
I winded up repairing the lens with lexan and then sanding/painting my fog bezels black. I would post up better pictures of them on the car but it's filthy at the moment so I'll probably update later.

I bought a lexan sheet from lowes, traced the fog light on to it and cut it out with a dremel.

^ Here you see how I managed to clamp my lexan "lens" onto the housing. I drilled a small hole on the outer edge of the housing and lens and sealed the gap using a zip tie and then using silicone to seal everything. I used a heat gun to bend the lexan into shape but I don't think I did too great on that part, the zip ties were the most helpful part of that. I used one on the top and bottom of the light. Ghetto but it worked perfectly.

After drilling the holes for the zip ties, attached one of the zip ties, then I poured silicone around the edge of the housing and then attached the second zip tie. I then let everything dry over night (I wasn't in a rush at all) and then I sealed it again with more silicone to seal any small holes that were present (and there were a few). After letting everything dry the 2nd time. I cut the excess part of the zip ties off before painting and installing fogs.

^ Here you can see how the "lens" looks. Mine looks rough because I made the mistake of removing the lexan backing while cutting it. Stupid mistake. Not a big deal since you can't really tell while it's mounted on the vehicle. (The two vertical lines on the left side of the bulb in the picture are just reflections off the reflective surface, looks weird in this picture)

^ close up shot of the repaired and painted light installed on my Fit. The light I repaired doesn't shine as much as the "good" one but I think it's because the reflective surface in the broke lamp was pretty much worn off by road debris and dirt. It's not terribly noticeable but I notice everything :P

I after 4 or 5 days, the repaired light is working fine and I haven't noticed any burning of the lexan. Hopefully it stays this way. I'd like to get some new yellow bulbs in the future if the lexan holds up.

I know I didn't provide a detailed write up with pictures but I got it done myself and I'd be happy to answer questions if you need any help. If I ever had to do this again, I could probably do it a lot faster and less messy.

Last edited by .eL; 06-25-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
how much was the lexan @ lowes. how did you remove the old cracked fog lens?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mxl180
how much was the lexan @ lowes. how did you remove the old cracked fog lens?
I don't remember exactly how much it was but I'm sure it was less than $5. My old lens had a massive hole in it so it was pretty easy to remove. I just stuck a screw driver in there and went nuts. Don't cut yourself!

I'd like to add that since repairing my lens, it has been holding up fine and I leave my lights on all the time while driving. So far so good. I'll let you guys know if anything changes.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks OP!
Just did this today.

Both my lens were cracked with holes.

Buy the silicone sealant. I made the mistake of using all purpose adhesive/sealant (not as thick was silicone).

Hardest part would be cutting it if you dont have the right tool and getting high from the adhesive.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mxl180
Thanks OP!
Just did this today.

Both my lens were cracked with holes.

Buy the silicone sealant. I made the mistake of using all purpose adhesive/sealant (not as thick was silicone).

Hardest part would be cutting it if you dont have the right tool and getting high from the adhesive.
Cutting it was easy as long as you use a dremel or something similar. Getting high on the fumes, that's totally avoidable.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
I did mention the part where the lexan is going to melt and bubble, like mine did, with halogen bulbs, right? LED bulbs are a must here.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I did mention the part where the lexan is going to melt and bubble, like mine did, with halogen bulbs, right? LED bulbs are a must here.
I've been using my lights in heatwave after heatwave and they're still looking fine. I'm not saying it won't happen but it hasn't yet and it's been above 90F every day for a while.

edit: It is 102F right now and I'm about to head out. I'll have my lights on and if they don't melt in this heat, they probably never will.

Last edited by .eL; 07-06-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Well, I didn't notice any burning marks or anything like that on my lens today despite the 100F+ temps. I touched the lexan and it was hot as hell but it's still as clear as the day I installed it.

I guess I'll keep the doubters posted.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey I think I will do this to my cracked nasty lamp this weekend. The process is:

1) Take off fogs
2) poke/yank/scrape/dremmel the remainder of the lense out
3) sillicone sealant the new lexan down over the lamp?
4) Dance?

I will probably do this with a LED bulb, my fog that got rock smashed also had the bulb go out (its not cracked). I'll probably try and find yellow material as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gsilvers
Hey I think I will do this to my cracked nasty lamp this weekend. The process is:

1) Take off fogs
2) poke/yank/scrape/dremmel the remainder of the lense out
3) sillicone sealant the new lexan down over the lamp?
4) Dance?

I will probably do this with a LED bulb, my fog that got rock smashed also had the bulb go out (its not cracked). I'll probably try and find yellow material as well.
You attempt to fix your lights yet? I want to see other success stories

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Weather was icky on and off this weekend so I did not. I am going to probably do this over the weekend. I will be repainting them as well and putting a thing yellow tint over the lense also. From what other posters mentioned I'll be getting a LED bulb to be safe on the heat too.

Quick Reply: Fog light lens repair DIY?