Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?

I'm not sure if it just me but I notice that I can easily scratch/swirl the paint on my car. My car is Milano Red. I gently scrub my car with one directional strokes when washing. I still manage to swirl my paint. Any tips to keep the paint looking fresh?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
use a softer detergent and a softer sponge. spemd some money and get ba better quality sponge. GL

Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Im not sure.... but would it be possible that the red doesn't get a clearcoat?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
i used the microfiber clothe and did notice some swirl marks under the bright sun...the clear coats need some more proctions...

Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 AM
The stuff the dealer uses to wash your car puts swirls in it. All my previous cars had minor swirls in em, but i told the dealer not to wash my fit, and the paint is flawless. When you wash, use a microfiber mitt, and when you dry, use microfiber towels. Learn more at my website:
www.Mirrorworks.bz

Tre

Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by MirrorWorks
The stuff the dealer uses to wash your car puts swirls in it. All my previous cars had minor swirls in em, but i told the dealer not to wash my fit, and the paint is flawless. When you wash, use a microfiber mitt, and when you dry, use microfiber towels. Learn more at my website:
www.Mirrorworks.bz

Tre
Should definitely be a sticky suggestion for about to be new Fit owners.

"Tell the dealer to NOT wash the car when prepping the car for pick up."

Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Talk about swirls!!! The first wash wax on my wife's I grabed polishing compound out of the garadge that I didn't know I had ( looked just like the turtle wax container). Big time swirls scraches in the hood.
Any ideas how to get them out? I may look in to repaint/ clear on the hood.
makes me sick each time I look at it.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Yea I have a lot of swirls. Im planning on doing a 3 step waxing to hopefully take care of it.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
The thing about dealers washing people's cars is that most people don't really care about minor swirls/imperfections in their paint. I thought only paint buffs like me cared so much about it

As for getting the swirls out, you will need a buffer and special compound. I've heard there are certain compounds you can use to help get them out by hand, but buffer is always better. I'm still doing research on it, so im not exactly the master, but google "porter cable buffer" or something of the sort and you should be able to find it. The buffers cost in the area of $100-200, but i'm pretty sure most detailers will charge you $100-200 to do your whole car with it anyways.

Tre

Old 06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Try a clay bar after your first wash and before you polish or wax your new car. You'll be amazed at what it gets out of your paint.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by MirrorWorks
The thing about dealers washing people's cars is that most people don't really care about minor swirls/imperfections in their paint. I thought only paint buffs like me cared so much about it

As for getting the swirls out, you will need a buffer and special compound. I've heard there are certain compounds you can use to help get them out by hand, but buffer is always better. I'm still doing research on it, so im not exactly the master, but google "porter cable buffer" or something of the sort and you should be able to find it. The buffers cost in the area of $100-200, but i'm pretty sure most detailers will charge you $100-200 to do your whole car with it anyways.

Tre
The man speaks the truth about buffing a car, when my car was only 4 days old, i made a bad mistake of taking it to a soft touch car wash, low and behold the entire car had been scratched by those nylon brush's there, if i had known this sort of thing would have happened i would have never of gone there, let me just sat though it'll never happen again, but long story short my insurance company sued the car wash owner, since he had admitted giult by trying to fix it, so they sued to get thte wheels replaced, the headlights replaced, and buffing the whole car, as of last Monday we buffed teh car at work, and it took every damn bit of the scratch's out, i couldn't be any happier to be honest, and now know how to better take care of my car when it comes to cleaning it.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
rinse the wash sponge frequently. upgrade wash rag. if car is not waxed put soap in the water.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Dunno. What perturbs me more is that bird drops leave behind a faint mark even after a quick washing. I tried to clay bar that area but the mark is still there. I think i'm going to invest in a nice polisher. My paint needs so much help.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by nexus4400
Dunno. What perturbs me more is that bird drops leave behind a faint mark even after a quick washing. I tried to clay bar that area but the mark is still there. I think i'm going to invest in a nice polisher. My paint needs so much help.
this is why i carry a bottle of quick detail with me, i'm constantly **** about looking at my exterior, and constantly tring to keep it clean when it's not in the garage.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Supposedly the "dealer prep" washed & waxed the car, but when I washed and waxed for the first time I noticed that water wasn't beading much at all (and no swirls). After I did my own wash & wax (soft terry mitts) it rained (after weeks and weeks of drought -- nothing works better than washing a car to make it rain) and neat little water beads showed me that my Fit finally had a good wax job.

BIG BUMMER: I was parked way in the back of the lot at the local Home Depot, and came back to find one of their nasty, rusty carts resting against the rear passenger door -- and a ding in the door. A wind came up and I noticed carts were blowing around the parking lot. I've been so careful, and when my daughter pulls her car in next to mine, she's been careful not to hit the doors. Had the car less than two months. I had just been to Lowe's, where they have plenty of cart drops so that carts aren't wandering all over the lot. Super Target and most of the supermarkets have the same setup. Other Fit owners will understand that Home Depot won't be seeing me anymore! I bought paint from them once and a can that hadn't been sealed well spilled inside my Honda Accord wagon. 2 strikes & you're out, HD!

Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I find that Turtle Was Ice is a great product especially on Black. It dosen't leave the white residue and you can put it over metal, etc.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by FondaFit
Supposedly the "dealer prep" washed & waxed the car, but when I washed and waxed for the first time I noticed that water wasn't beading much at all (and no swirls). After I did my own wash & wax (soft terry mitts) it rained (after weeks and weeks of drought -- nothing works better than washing a car to make it rain) and neat little water beads showed me that my Fit finally had a good wax job.

BIG BUMMER: I was parked way in the back of the lot at the local Home Depot, and came back to find one of their nasty, rusty carts resting against the rear passenger door -- and a ding in the door. A wind came up and I noticed carts were blowing around the parking lot. I've been so careful, and when my daughter pulls her car in next to mine, she's been careful not to hit the doors. Had the car less than two months. I had just been to Lowe's, where they have plenty of cart drops so that carts aren't wandering all over the lot. Super Target and most of the supermarkets have the same setup. Other Fit owners will understand that Home Depot won't be seeing me anymore! I bought paint from them once and a can that hadn't been sealed well spilled inside my Honda Accord wagon. 2 strikes & you're out, HD!
You can't really blame the cart thing on home depot, it's not their fault that there are idiots out there who are to damn lazy to put the carts in them, trust me i'd be mad to, but they're not to blame for our societies laziness.

Last edited by Tomh; 06-18-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tomh
You can't really blame the cart thing on home depot, it's not their fault that there are idiots out there who are to damn lazy to put the carts in them, trust me i'd be mad to, but they're not to blame for our societies laziness.
I agree that people are incredibly careless with their carts. It was especially annoying to me because I didn't even bring my cart out of the store. Cart drop-offs do usually solve the problem, though. Most people will take the trouble to at least use them. This particular store has the messiest parking lot I've ever seen. It's badly graded so that carts blow around in the wind and after it rains pools of water form everywhere. Add to the fact that they don't fetch the carts (probably because they don't have enough personnel to spare). Lowe's, Super Target, etc. have the cart drops, plus their carts have plastic coating or bumpers. HD has those big, rusty metal carts that look like they spend all their time outdoors (and they do -- in the parking lot!) Heard their stockholders and board of directors hate the new CEO.

Enough complaining -- anyone know how to get a door ding out without spending big bucks at the body shop?

Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
well i was to excited to getting my car i did not even check for the swirls...they left me a brand new swirled up car...well i used to detail cars so i will do my best in getting the swirls out with a clay bar swirl wax remover then just regular wax...hopefully all this will do just fine...if i knew that my car was gonna have swirls i would have gotten the white one and tell honda Maroone Honda of Hollywood to fire all their car washers cause they are leavong a new car looking used with these f**cking swirls

Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
poor quality paint from factory?

i wash my car every 2 weeks, i do a mix of highway/city driving, but i do drive a lot, i have put on 2300 miles in under a month...

today i was washing the car, and i noticed i had these little black specs on it, so i decided to scrub them a little bit, they didn't go away, so i put my finger up against them...and i noticed they were chips of the paint...i was thinkin, wth, i dont think factory paint is supposed to chip this easily...

i mean, there are a lot of them over my hood, bumper, and fender...i dont have the honda paint protection warrenty thing, i didnt' feel it was necessary..since my last 95 civic had perfect paint up until the day i sold it, and my sister's acura TL has had perfect paint, she doesn't even wash it...and it doesn't have rock chips

i'm probably going to get some taffeta white touch up paint from work and i'll try to cover it up...

Quick Reply: Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?