Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rain x on winsheild or mirror. What do you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Rain x on winsheild or mirror. What do you think

What do you know or think about the use of Rain-x products? I had a windwhield technician tell me it complicates repairs. I really like the stuff. My guess it helps the wipper blade slide accross the glass. It works good on shower walls to keep the water spots down. You dont want to apply it to floor tile unless you are trying to get hurt.
It seems rain-x may be good for door mirrors. They do get alot of water spots...
Do you know of any thing you can apply to glass that resist greese or dirt?

Last edited by big Fit; 06-28-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
i bought mine rain-x, tried to applied them, but it's been raining everyday...how is that suppose to complicate things?? don't we just apply outside of the windshield?? i also got the anti fog for inside...i'll see how well they work...

Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Me...I hate Rain-X. I choose to wax my windows and I have no trouble.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Rain-x works ok on the outside of the windows, if you apply it correctly. I did it once and did it too thick, and it kinda streaked. I would NOT recommend their 'Fog-X' stuff... we put that in a buddy's car, and one night it rained... it got SO fogged up inside his car... wiping it off didn't help (old car, no defroster).

Of course, you CAN wax the windows, which will have water beading right off! Not a lot of people realize you can do that.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Rain-X is pretty much just wax for your windows.. I used it and liked it just have not got around to putting any on my current windows

Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
I tried it a few years ago. I loved that you could drive on the highway without using your wipers. Really cool at night.

BUT, what I didn't like was the film causes a lot of glare when going under streetlights. I suppose this might also have something to do with the particular angle of any given windshield, but with my old car, bigtime glare.

Since it took what seemed like forever for the stuff to wear off, I haven't bothered to try it again.

But the Rain-X in the washer fluid is the easiest to use.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 PM
I've been using Rain-X on my windshield for years. Works great. I even get the Rain-X washeer fluid. I used to wax the windshield but I find Rain-X streaks less. The day I took delivery of the Fit I Rain-X'd the windshield.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Red face

Yeah, Rain-X is good stuff. It started out as one of those only-order-by-mail-as-seen-on-tv products, but the stuff really works!

Fog-X on the other hand, doesn't live up to it's hype, with poor results.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I love Rain-X on the windshield and have been using it for many years on many different cars. If applied properly, it is crystal clear w/ no streaks at all.

Fog-X, however, does not work well at all on the interior windows.

Interestingly enough, the Rain-X instructions are not to best when using their product. I find using a folded paper towel best for the application. Apply the Rain-X directly on the windshield and be careful not to let any touch paint. Work the product into the glass in a circular motion like you are waxing a car. The longer you work it in, the better the product works. When done working it in, sprinkle the windshield with a few drops of water and wipe with a clean cotton towel. All the streaks should be gone.

I also use the Rain-X pink solution for the windshield water and it seems to work well in conjunction with the Rain-X treated glass.

For the other windows/glass/mirrors, I just use regular wax on them when I wax the car.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
i bought mine rain-x, tried to applied them, but it's been raining everyday...how is that suppose to complicate things?? don't we just apply outside of the windshield?? i also got the anti fog for inside...i'll see how well they work...
sorry about the delay for a reply. it complecates windsheild repair. What I mean is the bullseye repaire deal as oppose replace the windsheild. Does that make sense?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Interesting comments about wax on the mirrors/windows. I think I'll try that on the side mirrors since the Fit doesn't have heated side mirrors (we're spoiled with our Forester!)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Interesting comments about wax on the mirrors/windows. I think I'll try that on the side mirrors since the Fit doesn't have heated side mirrors (we're spoiled with our Forester!)
Just try not to get the wax on the black rubber parts surrounding the windows/mirrors. PITA to get back off.

I use a polish/wax on my windows called Rejex that does not stain the rubber/plastic parts white. Also, treating the rubber with some sort of protectant before waxing really helps the wax from sticking to the rubber.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
The second day I had my Fit it poured for a few days straight, and while driving on the highway, I couldn't see much out the side windows, or see ANYTHING in the side mirrors. So I put Rain-X on all the windows and have been able to see well ever since I used their glass treatment wipes.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
i used it on the front windshield and it gave me too much streak reflections...not recommended on the front windshield...i'll prob try the side windows...

Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
i used it on the front windshield and it gave me too much streak reflections...not recommended on the front windshield...i'll prob try the side windows...
Did you sprinkle it w/ water when you were done and wipe it down with a clean soft terry towel when done. I have streaks until I do that, then it's clear as... er, glass.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Also, make sure it's completely dried before you buff it out. I use microfiber towels and I'm 100% streak-free. I don't add any drops of water, though.

I've had my S2000 nearly 5 years now and haven't yet used the wipers beacuse of Rain-X, and I've been through a number of real downpours. (I've got a bet with myself about how long I can go without using them).

JonasM

Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
You probably heard this from everyone else, but Rain-X works very very GOOD!

Just remember when you apply the Rain-X solution onto all your windows, they must be clean first with no dust or grease..... apply it, wipe it off in a circular motion (like waxing). You may get some streaks or lines by the edges or corner of the windows, but you can just wipe it off. Make sure you take your time and wipe it off.

WORKS best in bad rainny condition. I used this on my integra and when it rains I don't have to use my windshield wiper...(only works if you are going faster than 45+ mph.

Since my integra's paint color was getting kinda old and plus its a silver color... I applied it on the whole body, just like wax and when it rains or water gets on it, it does not leave on water marks. Kinda like water resistant...

Love it... and it also makes your window look very shinny!!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
winshield technician said it complicates repair? what repar? lol

Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by _karu_
winshield technician said it complicates repair? what repar? lol
exactly what repair is needed? small cracks...? cleaning it before fixing won't help?

Its made for the winshield, so I don't see a problem with it.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I hope applying it to the whole car works out for you 'cause the label says not to "use on or allow product to contact painted surfaces..."

Quick Reply: Rain x on winsheild or mirror. What do you think