Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Why NOT Turtle Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Why NOT Turtle Wax?

It's not just Fit Freak, but it's other automotive web sites as well. I notice whenever I admit I use Turtle Wax Ice, I get a lot of flak.

People actually get venemous.

While I understand that perhaps Zano, Meguiars, (insert your favorite product here) might be concievably or personally better to you? I don't get the actual almost palpatable dislike of Turtle Wax products.

IMO it might not have the panache of a more expensive or harder to obtain product...it actually might be hindered by being readily available at almost any major outlet. But bottom line?

I like Turtle Wax Ice. I use the Paste Polish and it goes on easy, leaves no residue, IMO makes the vehicle look good and repels water and residue.

I find if I use the spray wax inbetween, I get several months of protection.

My logic is, if I can apply Turtle Wax Ice in about 1/2 hour-Hour...vs. An entire afternoon or day that is needed to apply other more expensive higher end products...then I'm more likely to use Turtle Wax Ice.

Part of it is lazyness. The multiple steps involved in application of some of the higher rated protectants, sealants, wax's and polishes at my age now? I don't have the time or energy.

If you have a favorite product? I'm not knocking it. I'm sure it is great. But I'm just suprised at the lack of "respect" Turtle Wax seems to get. This is one of the largest automotive care companies in the world, in business since 1940, and a company that offered one of the first automotive finish protectant products ever...

Yet in some circles? Admit you use Turtle Wax and you might as well say you are picking up lumps of doggie defecation and rubbing them on your vehicle.

Anyway, I swear, I don't work for Turtle Wax, and I'm not trying to sell the product. Like I said, I think people need to use what they want, and there are a lot of variables as to needs, desires and effort people want to apply.

But is there some hidden "reason" why I should shun Turtle Wax products? Because my experience with them is that they actually seem to be pretty damn good.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Some people just need help being cool, and their use of high priced automotive wax apparantly sets them ahead of the rest of the pack. Who am I to argue?

I also don't have 6 hours to spend detailing my car, and even if I did, I wouldn't spend it detailing my car. If it works for you, good.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
This may make you feel a little better:

Black Magic and Turtle Wax car waxes rated best overall in Consumer Reports tests (Chatham Journal)

I've always used Meguiars products and have had good results with them. I almost got swept up in the boutique wax and wash products but I realized that Meguiars products worked well enough for what I wanted and weren't that expensive so I stuck with them.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
i use Turtle Wax Ice too because my fit is a hatchback and it looks like a turtle so i thought it was "fitting" lol oh the puns. on a serious note. whats wrong with turtle wax? i seriously use it too it's like advertise in all import magazines so it must be good right?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EvoFit
i use Turtle Wax Ice too because my fit is a hatchback and it looks like a turtle so i thought it was "fitting" lol oh the puns. on a serious note. whats wrong with turtle wax? i seriously use it too it's like advertise in all import magazines so it must be good right?
Well maybe I just ran into some "adversarial" threads? Not here but on some other automotive web sites, you would of thought using Turtle Wax was a mortal sin.

Nice to know while not having the "prestige and panache" of perhaps Zano or other more expensive options, it isn't totally hated.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 PM
If I think back far enough I can almost remember Turtle Wax going through some rough years product wise. I used to use it way back when. Probably stigma overhang.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
That is exactly what it is. I have used Ice and liked what I experienced. However, I do use Menzerna and Meguiar's products. I like the finished product better and fell the final reflection is deeper, especially on pearls.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've tried Turtle Wax but when I get the car ready for shows I always found the Megs just worked better and gave me the reflective shine that makes it look fresh from the show room even though it is now 4 years old and a DD.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
I just looked up car waxes on Consumer Reports and they rated Turtle Wax Ice T-468 ($17.00) as the worst (out of 12 tested) liquid or gel waxes…Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 G12718 ($18.00) was the top rated liquid or gel wax. They were the two most expensive waxes. The best for the price was Nu Finish NF-76 at $8.00 per bottle...it was rated second to Meguiar's...

Last edited by Jodele; 11-20-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added price
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
I just looked up car waxes on Consumer Reports and they rated Turtle Wax Ice T-468 ($17.00) as the worst (out of 12 tested) liquid or gel waxes…Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 G12718 ($18.00) was the top rated liquid or gel wax. They were the two most expensive waxes. The best for the price was Nu Finish NF-76 at $8.00 per bottle...it was rated second to Meguiar's...

Yeah i kinda agree with both Meguiar's and Nu Finish, they both last for about 2 weeks or so and still bead for me. the only main difference i can tell between the 2 products is that Nu Finish smells like paint thinner and Meguiar's smells good enough to eat.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=fitchet;1048275]It's not just Fit Freak, but it's other automotive web sites as well. I notice whenever I admit I use Turtle Wax Ice, I get a lot of flak.

People actually get venemous.

I've been doing some research on good car waxes and Turtle Wax ICE has mixed reviews. I also read somewhere that because TW ICE is silicone based, that any future paint jobs will be more difficult, since the ICE has to be totally stripped first. Otherwise the primer and or paint won't adhere.

If you're getting good results with Turtle Wax ICE, then by all means keep using it. Don't let other peoples' opinions bother you. At least with ICE your black rubber/plastic trim won't get hard to remove residue.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
If you're getting a good paint job it seems that they would strip down to metal anyways. That would remove not only the silicone, but also the old paint and primer. They should also remove any chlorides or oils on the metal surface since these will cause premature failure. IMO (educated on painting inspection) any wax you decide to use should not affect future paint jobs.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I live by turtle wax, I can't wait to break it out on my fit. I've used turtle wax on old paint and macco paint jobs and it's done wonders.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
i dont think people are sugesting not to use turtle wax products in general, but rather not to use turtle wax ice.
in my experience, it sucked. it left a greasy residue that was hard to remove and it did not last long. i noticed water not beading after only 1 week. im guessing it was because whatever technology they say allows you to apply it when wet, does not work as well as a "proper" wax or sealant.

FYI, i love zaino and poorboys products. zaino is my favorite, but expensive. however 1 coat of the sealant plus 2-3 follow up coats of the spray cleaner would keep water beading perfectly for 6 months

Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I use Megs Ultimate liquid wax, goes on smooth, comes off without any filmy residue and easily comes off. My car still beads like a MOFO even 3months after two thin coats, granted it does stay garaged a lot of that time so it will last longer than typical outside stored cars. I've seen tons of snake oil type auto products come out over the years, and honestly I can say Megs hasn't fallen into that category once that I know of. They have some of the best consumer available products and for me they are the only choice, since higher end detailer products are MUCH more expensive.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have been using a product called Liquid Glass for 35 years. Now days you can only get it at General Aviation airports. It was initially made for aircraft, then they tried to branch out to the auto market but the stuff proved to be too expensive and "Detailing" had not been invented yet.

Nothing sticks to it, not even at 500 MPH in a Gulfstream.

Having said all of that..... my brother uses Turtle Wax and nothing else on his Concurs winning restorations. He took a Best in Show at Pebble Beach back in the 70's with a Packard and TW.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
For all the Fit Freaks on here that have a black fit, Turtle wax has a 3-step [black box] made just for black vehicles. Pre wax cleaner & conditioner, carnauba wax, and a spray detailer. Its basically a liquid paste but its black so no worries about chalking up the trim and after its all said and done it leaves a siiiiiiiiiiiiiick finish. good sick ...not bad

Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Throwin_A_ShitFIT27
For all the Fit Freaks on here that have a black fit, Turtle wax has a 3-step [black box] made just for black vehicles. Pre wax cleaner & conditioner, carnauba wax, and a spray detailer. Its basically a liquid paste but its black so no worries about chalking up the trim and after its all said and done it leaves a siiiiiiiiiiiiiick finish. good sick ...not bad
^This!

The black box is awesome! Thats what I use on my fit, whenever I get an opportunity to do a real detail job. ALWAYS satisfied!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
I use to use the ICE for the inside of my Evo. I would say it is a desent product. But if your into detailing and keeping the shine for a long time with a deep finish turtle wax is not the way to go.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
This past summer, I used Turtle Wax Ice (As Per my "normal" routine) and inbetween with washing, I used Meguiars Quik Wax.

IMO the combination kept and is keeping my Crystal Black Pearl looking showroom good.

Quick Reply: Why NOT Turtle Wax?