Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Dome and Headlight Flicker

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Dome and Headlight Flicker

My dome light and headlights have a slight flicker under acceleration. When I'm idling, it stops. I just replaced the battery, but the flicker remains. I run Xenon headlight bulbs but nothing else that would upset the electronics. Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 AM
I have a similar problem. My Fit's headlights, taillights, and interior dome lights flicker a bit when idling. So much so that a friend said "hey, are your lights flickering?"

Anybody know why this would be?

Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've been doing some research, and some people are saying that it's because of corroded ground wires. I'm going to take a look at all the grounds, clean, and sand off the areas to see if that helps.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
I had problem with my lights flickering while cruising, not accelerating. Honda replaced my alternator under warranty.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
I heard changing out the alternator was another solution. Although, my battery seems to be keeping a charge. I guess I should measure the volts first.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
When my lights would flicker my voltage would go high, over 16 volts.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
flicker

Originally Posted by spreadhead
When my lights would flicker my voltage would go high, over 16 volts.
16 volts is just as bad. So, replacing the alternator fixed it?

I measured the voltage and everything seems normal. However, I haven't measured it when revving the engine. My lights flicker under acceleration on the road. So I'll see if someone can help me with that today.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is having this problem too. I've round a couple other threads describing the same basic problem, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus around the solution.

In my case, the flickering has been intermittent for the past 9 months. The flicker occurs about 2x per second. Affects headlights, dome light, dash lights, and the A/C fan. When it is happening, it occurs both under acceleration and at idle. It will happen for a couple of days, then go away for a couple of months.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
I grounded another cable to the battery. Flicker has stopped, but not certain if that was the solution or not

Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by gpd209
My Fit is having this problem too. I've round a couple other threads describing the same basic problem, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus around the solution.

In my case, the flickering has been intermittent for the past 9 months. The flicker occurs about 2x per second. Affects headlights, dome light, dash lights, and the A/C fan. When it is happening, it occurs both under acceleration and at idle. It will happen for a couple of days, then go away for a couple of months.
Have you also had a problem with misfires attributed to faulty ignition coils?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
YES! The Fit developed a miss on Christmas Eve. I had to ditch it in the middle of New Jersey and get rescued by family. Required 2 new coils.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm not convinced the coil packs are the answer. I'm having the same flicker issue and also replaced one coil pack. Dealership told me to replace the coil pack in cyl 2....now the problem is back again. When I swapped the coil pack to another cyl, the problem didn't follow the coil...it stayed in cyl 2.

I don't think they have a good answer for this issue and if they do...they aren't telling anyone.

I suspect the two problems could possibly be related.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks, but what we are all speaking of is totally different. I have the same issue with the flickering of all lights, but it doesn't matter if I'm at idle, cruising, or accelerating. I haven't tried anything yet. I was browsing on here hoping to find a more definitive answer. Guess it's going to be good ole trial and error/process of elimination.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by arnshrty
Thanks, but what we are all speaking of is totally different. I have the same issue with the flickering of all lights, but it doesn't matter if I'm at idle, cruising, or accelerating. I haven't tried anything yet. I was browsing on here hoping to find a more definitive answer. Guess it's going to be good ole trial and error/process of elimination.
If yours is a fast paced flicker of all of your electronics, you may want to investigate the voltage regulator in the alternator. I replaced mine and it seems to have solved the issue.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fieldstone
If yours is a fast paced flicker of all of your electronics, you may want to investigate the voltage regulator in the alternator. I replaced mine and it seems to have solved the issue.
That would be the flicker....Thanks

Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I tried to rule out everything before buying an alternator: checking wires, grounds, belts, bulbs. Finally gave up and bought an alternator. BLAM!!! Should of done this in the first place. Not only are the dome lights and headlights back to normal, but so is my horsepower. It definitely runs like it did and can now chirp in 2nd gear again.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Sometimes it's the obvious....Very glad your problem solved

Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Sometimes it's the obvious...
I wish it was that obvious. It took me 25k miles, 3 dealerships, 1 independent shop and a lot of my own research to figure it out. Hopefully going forward no one has to spend that kind of time to id the issue.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 AM
dome headlights flicker

I am in ASE certified mechanic .the cause of headlight tail lights dom lights flicker is usually caused by AC voltage being introduced into the charging system via the alternator .caused by a week or bad diode . if you have a good multi meter you can check this by setting it to the AC scale and placing the probes on the battery terminals .positive to positive and negative to negative.any AC voltage showing whether it be millivolts or actual voltage is bad you will need to replace your alternator . it can also be a bad voltage regulator in the alternator .anything over 14.5 volts is an overcharge .

Quick Reply: Dome and Headlight Flicker