Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kkim
You may be correct, however, why is it specified in the PDI?
Exactly my point.

My dealer knew that I was in a "hurry" for my Fit. The truck rolled in with it about 9am on May 17th. I picked it up at 11am. They said that they did a "rush job" getting it ready for me. With all the other stuff that had to be done, including cleaning it up, they probably didn't do the ILP on it - and one of the Service Advisors even said so. HE suggested that I bring it in to have the ILP done on it - that it would take into account my driving style, set the air/fuel adjustment, idle adjustment, and several other factors which seem trivial but which could make a difference in the mileage that I'm getting.

I don't see how it could hurt, and I'll certainly report my findings back.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Claymore - your post brings up a good point with the mileage - could it be that certain driving styles are better "Matched" with the engine/transmission to train the ECU to be most efficient???

Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy After Idle Learn Procedure

After hearing of all the people who had seen a nice increase in their mpg right after the idle learn procedure I decided to give it a try. I figured that it couldn't hurt to try, however, I've found that after my first tank (I filled up right after the procedure) of 90% highway driving I've only gotten 23 mpg compared to 28-20 mpg before. This procedure actually dropped my MPG! Maybe I shouldn;t have done it?
My question is, for those who did it and gotten improvements, was your first tank after doing it disappointing? I hope it does not get worst from here... A poster said that it could be that my compauter is re-learning, thus, causing the low mpg... hope he's right.. but it appears that others got better mpg immediately on their following fillup.
Any thoughts from those who has done the procedure??

Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Dude, give it some time, it has to relearn your driving patterns, air intake volume and temperature, throttle positions, etc etc.

It may take a while to settle in.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
What if it were to get reset it and beat the car to hell? Wouldnt driving it normal give me the best mileage after its learned the new hard driving mode? It seems that all these people properly breaking in their Fits are getting the worse mileage.

Anyone else notice?

Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I was driving my usual way, which is fast launches, 10-15mph over the limit on the highways... and my average was 27mpg. Now that I'm doing a test and driving slower than molasses in winter (slow gentle launches, top highway speed at 60mph) I'm getting much better milage. I'm waiting to empty the tank before I draw a conclusion.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I've been averaging 28 mpg (AT Sport) and I've tried to avoid my fast launch habits to see if it improves. Seems impossible to do, though, because of the driver extremes we have in Florida -- the pace cars in the passing lane (despite a Florida law against hogging the left lane) and the rude SOBs who think "I-95" refers to the speed limit and weave in & out, cutting people off. Courtesy on the road is a thing of the past. I'm grateful for the Fit's quick acceleration that gets me off the ramp and onto the highway. "Yield" means nothing to people with monster trucks & SUVs. Everyone tends to bunch up in tailgating knots traveling at the exact same speed. That's when I'm willing to give up some fuel economy to accelerate and break out of the pack. I don't accelerate for fun -- I do it to save my life and keep my Fit intact! We took an informal poll at work (many of us have a long commute on crowded roads) -- the consensus is that Florida attracts the worst drivers from every state. Retirees get a lot of blame, but there is no broader demographic than the rude driver (which includes both the oblivious and the aggressive types). I'm pretty convinced that the Fit's mpg reflects my driving habits, but I developed those habits in the name of self-preservation! I'd like to drive slower and avoid jack-rabbit starts, but I think I'll have to move to a different state to be able to do it safely. Maybe a place where the climate sucks and no one wants to live there (?) I have over 10 K on the odometer, so by now my Fit's computer should have adjusted to me. I'd like to consistently get over 30 mpg, but don't have much hope at this point.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I have over 10 K on the odometer, so by now my Fit's computer should have adjusted to me. I'd like to consistently get over 30 mpg, but don't have much hope at this point.
Thats why.... Once you go past 10k great mileage is sure to come.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Fla

I drove on I-95 in northeast Florida and it was the slowest highway driving I've ever done.

Originally Posted by FondaFit
I've been averaging 28 mpg (AT Sport) and I've tried to avoid my fast launch habits to see if it improves. Seems impossible to do, though, because of the driver extremes we have in Florida -- the pace cars in the passing lane (despite a Florida law against hogging the left lane) and the rude SOBs who think "I-95" refers to the speed limit and weave in & out, cutting people off. Courtesy on the road is a thing of the past. I'm grateful for the Fit's quick acceleration that gets me off the ramp and onto the highway. "Yield" means nothing to people with monster trucks & SUVs. Everyone tends to bunch up in tailgating knots traveling at the exact same speed. That's when I'm willing to give up some fuel economy to accelerate and break out of the pack. I don't accelerate for fun -- I do it to save my life and keep my Fit intact! We took an informal poll at work (many of us have a long commute on crowded roads) -- the consensus is that Florida attracts the worst drivers from every state. Retirees get a lot of blame, but there is no broader demographic than the rude driver (which includes both the oblivious and the aggressive types). I'm pretty convinced that the Fit's mpg reflects my driving habits, but I developed those habits in the name of self-preservation! I'd like to drive slower and avoid jack-rabbit starts, but I think I'll have to move to a different state to be able to do it safely. Maybe a place where the climate sucks and no one wants to live there (?) I have over 10 K on the odometer, so by now my Fit's computer should have adjusted to me. I'd like to consistently get over 30 mpg, but don't have much hope at this point.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Did the ILP out of curiousity. Was averaging 29.6 mpg beating on the fit around town, with up to 8 mile trips on the highway....not too bad. After the ILP, got 34.2 mpg. First fill up, so may be coincidental, but Im very careful to stop after the first click and I always fill up at the same station. It may be a fluke, but will let you know as more tanks go by.

A/T Fit Sport, 4600 miles

Old 10-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by mjrossman17
Did the ILP out of curiousity. Was averaging 29.6 mpg beating on the fit around town, with up to 8 mile trips on the highway....not too bad. After the ILP, got 34.2 mpg. First fill up, so may be coincidental, but Im very careful to stop after the first click and I always fill up at the same station. It may be a fluke, but will let you know as more tanks go by.

A/T Fit Sport, 4600 miles
Any updates on subsequent tanks?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I have filled up several times since. I have gotten varied mpg from 29-36mpg. I drive quite aggressively, so I am pretty happy with this, since it is about 70% city and slow and go highway. Still a kid at heart with close to redline shifts in 1st and 2nd. Noted that I get better accel now that the car is much more broken in (6000 miles now). I have stuck with the same gas, same gas station and even the same pump for full fills weekly. Not that I am ****, but its always available at the time that I fill up. I think that it gives good consistency.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I have filled up several times since. I have gotten varied mpg from 29-36mpg. I drive quite aggressively, so I am pretty happy with this, since it is about 70% city and slow and go highway. Still a kid at heart with close to redline shifts in 1st and 2nd. Noted that I get better accel now that the car is much more broken in (6000 miles now). I have stuck with the same gas, same gas station and even the same pump for full fills weekly. Not that I am ****, but its always available at the time that I fill up. I think that it gives good consistency.
I have 1,700 miles. Usually combined hwy/city and have yet to see anything better than 29 mpg. Does it get better later?

Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM
It improved alot after about 3k miles; and is still slowly getting higher.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
It improved alot after about 3k miles; and is still slowly getting higher.
Hmmm. I'll post my findings.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore
Unless you are having IDLE SPEED problems this fix is not going to do anything. All you are doing is putting the ECU back to normal specs and it will take into account your driving habits and you go right back to where you were before you started.

Why does everybody think your car has been mysteriously de-tuned and or the factory didn't set it correctly in the first place? This "Fix" is not a fix it is a normal after repairs or mods service procedure only to reset the ECU AFTER CHANGES. If you got your Fit and it had less than 100 miles how in the world could someone have made any changes. If your idle speed is normal don't waste your time doing this it will give you no changes and has nothing to do with mileage or smoothness.
What should the idle speed be? Mine's about 900 rpms (the needle is a little bit below the 1). Is this normal?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
UPDATE!

Car got the idle relearn done at the dealer and they did some other testing several weeks ago. ZERO change in fuel economy. The car has 6K mi. on it now, and I struggle to get 30 mpg with city/hwy combined! Ugh! Anyone else in this boat?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
For goodness sake, LISTEN TO CLAYMORE!

Resetting the ecu will not affect anything if u dont have any current problems. The ecu learns of the conditions and driving style and adapts to it (ie. weather changes). These codes are called "Readiness" codes. If you reset your ecu and take it in for OBD2 inspection, you will fail.

If anything, it will result in slightly worse gas mpg b/c the maps have not been set. It takes about 50miles or so to get all the codes set.

Last edited by 03DSM-RSX; 04-30-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I DO have a current problem...it's called atrocious gas mileage. What do YOU suggest be done/checked on the car?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
CHECK YOUR DRIVING habits for one!

tire psi, switch to synthetic oil, bad gas, check all maintainence stuff. do you weigh 200+lbs?? all these contribute to your gas mileage. theres a gas mileage thread. READ IT!

plus, you should already know that Honda/Toyota and most major import companies were found to overexaggerate their gas mileage ratings. They are in the process of correcting all mileage numbers. You can expect to see the infamous Prius advertised mileage drop by at least 10mpg. Dont be suprised if you dont get your 30mpg.

If u're not throwing a check engine light (CEL), then nothing is wrong with the electronics of your engine, therefore, resetting ecu is only hurting gas even more.

Last edited by 03DSM-RSX; 05-02-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure