Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Changed Coil packs twice and spark plugs once still misfiring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Changed Coil packs twice and spark plugs once still misfiring.

Hi guys, Here is what has been going on with my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. A few months ago I was driving along the freeway and out of nowhere my CEL started blinking, sudden loss of power, and bad hesitation. I then went to Auto Zone to get a CEL read and they said it was a "random multiple misfire" so I went home swapped out my spark plugs for the NGK ones car is still operating horribly so then I found out it could be my coils, Some one told me once one messes up they all start to f*** up. So I bought a set of coils from Buyautoparts.com

2008*Honda*Fit*Ignition Coil Parts from Buy Auto Parts

Swapped 'em out and car ran like new few months later boom car messes up again I called the buyautoparts.com people and they sent me a new set of coils (4) car runs fine for a month then the check engine light comes up AGAIN so this time seeing how busy I was at the time I ignored it. Car ran just fine btw up until a few days ago. Before the car messed up I Filled my gas tank, the pump clicked and I put a bit more gas in it even after it clicked my gas gage was past the F. (overfilling it is one factor) A few days later I am on my way to work, I make a left turn to get onto the freeway, boom, all over again. Sudden lose of power, bad hesitation etc. SO I look on here to see if I can find any solutions. I saw a few posts that said they where experiencing the same problems. Long story short, NGK spark plugs are gaped at 0.50 so I was hoping the cause of all this was the gaping, I re-gaped them at 0.40 car felt a bit better but same problems, CEL still blinking etc.

Here is another factor, before all of this happened, On that day I mentioned earlier before it FIRST started I ran over a puddle it wasnt too deep but I speed through it. Parked went to work got off and then it started acting up horribly on the highway as I explained earlier. So the other Factor is I might have messed up the Pre-Cat. o2 sensor in the puddle which is causing my engine to Misfire but it doesn't show up on my obd2 scanner when I connected it I only got

P0303 | Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
p0301 | Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0300 | Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

I am pretty conviced it is the o2 sensor that is screwed up because my coil pack is about 1 month maybe 2 months old.

I'd like to see if anyone has experienced the same problem that I have and hopefully offer a solution. I'd love to here all of your opinions and very grateful for you guys taking the time to read this long a** post. Thank you

-Daniel

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
How many miles and have you had a valve adjustment? Running over a puddle wouldn't mess up your O2 sensor.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
How many miles and have you had a valve adjustment? Running over a puddle wouldn't mess up your O2 sensor.
I have 170k miles on it. I assumed i needed a valve adjustment but I don't hear any pinging noises or abnormal noises. Engine just shakes badly when it's idle or when I try to accelerate.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danielomar91
I have 170k miles on it. I assumed i needed a valve adjustment but I don't hear any pinging noises or abnormal noises. Engine just shakes badly when it's idle or when I try to accelerate.
Do you have the need to warm up your car from a cold start? Do you have a sudden loss of power after you warmed up the car and brake?

It's not necessarily the noise that but if the engine is shaking that bad, you might want to get the values adjusted.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
It's your coil packs again. Get the OEMs. Search this forum for this common problem and you'll find that's a common solution, though some have had success with aftermarket.

It's not your sparkplugs and it's not the o2 sensor. You'd get a code for a failed or failing o2 sensor.

Some have argued with only faith or a false sense of expertise that a valve tappet clearance adjustment will or might fix your problem but I will guarantee you that if you have failed coil packs a valve adjustment won't fix the coil packs.

I've bought the beck arnley coil packs and have had them go bad after 1 month. Again, it's the coil packs.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I drive a 2008 Honda Fit and I have been experiencing similar problems.

For a few months now, when I start my car from it's over night park, it will spit and sputter trying to die out leaving me with an engine light that flashes occasionally and sometimes a gassy smell. I had codes ran on it multiple times and they all read Cylinder #2 misfire. I replaced coils (3 times), spark plugs, ran a compression test, cleaned my fuel injectors and O2 censors. I'm really unsure where to go from here and even my awesome mechanic is stumped! I wish there were a solution. This has gotten to be an expensive problem.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackbetty09
I drive a 2008 Honda Fit and I have been experiencing similar problems.

For a few months now, when I start my car from it's over night park, it will spit and sputter trying to die out leaving me with an engine light that flashes occasionally and sometimes a gassy smell. I had codes ran on it multiple times and they all read Cylinder #2 misfire. I replaced coils (3 times), spark plugs, ran a compression test, cleaned my fuel injectors and O2 censors. I'm really unsure where to go from here and even my awesome mechanic is stumped! I wish there were a solution. This has gotten to be an expensive problem.
Honestly, people on here recommend to do a valve adjustment every 60,000 miles. Ask your mechanic to check your valves

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
the l15a1 have very common issues.

valve clearance would be at the top of my list to check if it has been over 30k miles.

check spark plug gap.

be sure to be buying hitachi coil packs since a few people have shown other aftermarket coils cause issues.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
the l15a1 have very common issues.

valve clearance would be at the top of my list to check if it has been over 30k miles.

check spark plug gap.

be sure to be buying hitachi coil packs since a few people have shown other aftermarket coils cause issues.
I got denso coils in my car and no issues at all

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Hi guys, Here is what has been going on with my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. A few months ago I was driving along the freeway and out of nowhere my CEL started blinking, sudden loss of power, and bad hesitation. I then went to Auto Zone to get a CEL read and they said it was a "random multiple misfire" so I went home swapped out my spark plugs for the NGK ones car is still operating horribly so then I found out it could be my coils, Some one told me once one messes up they all start to f*** up. So I bought a set of coils from Buyautoparts.com

Swapped 'em out and car ran like new few months later boom car messes up again I called the buyautoparts.com people and they sent me a new set of coils (4) car runs fine for a month then the check engine light comes up AGAIN so this time seeing how busy I was at the time I ignored it. Car ran just fine btw up until a few days ago. Before the car messed up I Filled my gas tank, the pump clicked and I put a bit more gas in it even after it clicked my gas gage was past the F. (overfilling it is one factor) A few days later I am on my way to work, I make a left turn to get onto the freeway, boom, all over again. Sudden lose of power, bad hesitation etc. SO I look on here to see if I can find any solutions. I saw a few posts that said they where experiencing the same problems. Long story short, NGK spark plugs are gaped at 0.50 so I was hoping the cause of all this was the gaping, I re-gaped them at 0.40 car felt a bit better but same problems, CEL still blinking etc.

Here is another factor, before all of this happened, On that day I mentioned earlier before it FIRST started I ran over a puddle it wasnt too deep but I speed through it. Parked went to work got off and then it started acting up horribly on the highway as I explained earlier. So the other Factor is I might have messed up the Pre-Cat. o2 sensor in the puddle which is causing my engine to Misfire but it doesn't show up on my obd2 scanner when I connected it I only got

P0303 | Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
p0301 | Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0300 | Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

I am pretty conviced it is the o2 sensor that is screwed up because my coil pack is about 1 month maybe 2 months old.

I'd like to see if anyone has experienced the same problem that I have and hopefully offer a solution. I'd love to here all of your opinions and very grateful for you guys taking the time to read this long a** post. Thank you

-Daniel

Daniel:
we've given up on using any coil paks not from Honda. Its not that there aren't other suppliers but they don't seem to have as good quality control as Hondas, or any other vehicle manufacturer.
I believe the fault is sources of coil paks from China. I've inspected thousands of parts from China and they had an inordinately high failure rate. I'm told they have gotten better but there remains the possibility that 'not so good' parts get out the back door to aftermarket sellers. Its not they can't work, its just that many times they don't work as well.
Next time try a aftermarket seller that you deal directly across his counter that you can return if they don't work well.
and of course thats the best reason for buyingn OBD code checker to moitor their performance. Or stock either.
I doubt the O2 sensor is the fault but certainly could be. Its feedback controls the A/F ratio from injectors. Its old enough.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by CTCT

Some have argued with only faith or a false sense of expertise that a valve tappet clearance adjustment will or might fix your problem but I will guarantee you that if you have failed coil packs a valve adjustment won't fix the coil packs.
Yeah, a valve adjustment won't fix bad coil packs, but new coil packs won't fix bad valve clearances either.
I'm not arguing by "faith or a false sense of expertise", either. My '13 Sport with 35,000 miles just got back from the Honda dealership after they put a #2 coil pack in for a #2 misfire code (which didn't fix it), and then they checked the valves, found tight intake and exhaust valves on that cylinder and adjusted them (which did fix the problem).

Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 AM
2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto misfire

Hi Guys I have a 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 automatic 7speed. Basically never use the car for a week then started the car on Friday to use and picked up a misfire. Changed all 8 spark plugs on the car even tested all the coil packs and all seems fine. I used ngk spark plugs same as the ones that I removed. Any solutions guys before taking the car for a diagnostic test.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi, Danielomar. Dont buy stuff that are a little cheaper, such as ignition coils and others, which are possibly made ​​in China without quality control. You will spend money twice. If you have installed good quality coils, spark plugs are OK, the clearances of the valves are correct, and your car is still bad, so your car can have another problem that will have to be analyzed.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
p0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

-Daniel
Danie I have the same problem with my 2007 fit
have you make any progress, please let me know
thank you so much

Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Robletto
Danie I have the same problem with my 2007 fit
have you make any progress, please let me know
thank you so much
new o2 sensor first and second, new plugs new ignition coils, what next?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Robletto
new o2 sensor first and second, new plugs new ignition coils, what next?
Going way out on a limb here... alternator excessive ripple. This could cause issues with coil packs. Again, waaay out in left field guess.

If spark plugs, coils, valve adjustment, and fuel injectors are ruled out then I'd start looking at electrical issues....coils get dirty power or electrical interference then you could get misfire and rough idle.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Dear Robletto. I agree with bigdeezy. Other problems may be causing this defect in the car. Since everyone has posted so much about the coils and regulating the valves, install reliable coils and adjust the valves. If the fault persists, others will be the causes, like defects in the cables, bad contacts, etc.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by roland tuck
Dear Robletto. I agree with bigdeezy. Other problems may be causing this defect in the car. Since everyone has posted so much about the coils and regulating the valves, install reliable coils and adjust the valves. If the fault persists, others will be the causes, like defects in the cables, bad contacts, etc.
yes indeed , thank you so much.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Dear Robletto. I would like to help you. The problem is that we live a little far from each other. But come on ... How's the behavior of the car now? Is the engine starting? How's the idle? Is the gas where you live good? In Brazil we have problems with adulterated gasoline, but I think in the USA you do not have this problem. When you are driving with the car, how does it behave? Let's try to kill this charade.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Hi Robletto. Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use a multimeter? Do you understand a little mechanical and automotive technology? I have multimeter and various tools and I always try to repair my cars. With some knowledge, some tools and a digital multimeter, most services can be performed.

Quick Reply: Changed Coil packs twice and spark plugs once still misfiring.