Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rear defroster grid repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
Rear defroster grid repair

Hi all, I have owned my 2010 fit sport for 2 weeks now and have absolutely loved it. It really has been a great little car. I have 2 bars on the defroster grid that have small breaks in them. I pinpointed the breaks using my handy dandy test light. Well, that being said, I find myself in the spot needing to repair the grid. My question is, has anyone ever had any experience with any of the repair kits out there. I found the following one on Amazon and was just curious if anyone has experience, pointers or thoughts?

Amazon.com: Permatex Quick Grid(TM) Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit (15067): Everything Else Amazon.com: Permatex Quick Grid(TM) Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit (15067): Everything Else

Or

Permatex 09117 Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Permatex 09117 Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

If this works then I figure I saved a couple hundred bux. Also, does anyone know of any other repair options besides replacing the whole window. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Ive never used those kits but heres what we have done at the shop.

Get some conductive paint from radio shack. Clean the repair area with alcohol. Take a new razor blade and gently scratch a little of the good area next to the break. Dont go down to the glass. just remove a little of the top layer to get to the conductive material and create a rough area for the conductive paint to stick to. Clean again with alcohol. Use masking tape on top and bottom of the break so you will have an equally sized piece of glass exposed between the ends of the good line. Brush on the conductive paint. Remove the tape and let it dry. Now you won't have a wide repair painted on and it should work. The kits you mentioned may work the same way.