Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Sport Key Stripped Screw.....Help?

Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 AM
Sport Key Stripped Screw.....Help?

I don't know whether or not this belong here, but from my last thread, the dealership called me up and found the other key to my Fit Sport. YAY!!!!

The remote component is dead, though, so I tried unscrewing it. The screw wasn't moving. I used an eyeglass Phillips screwdriver. I then used a pair of slip-joint pliers to get from extra torque on the screw, and it ended up completely slipping. The screw is in there pretty deeply. I'm not sure what to do because of the electrical components in the key if I could apply some fluid to it (oil? drop of PB blaster?) or take a hammer and hammer a screwdriver into the key.

Picture: Name:  soQEoCb.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  664.2 KB

Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
More than likely you'll have to break off the back cover of the key by prying around the screw. It's best to insert your screw driver/exacto-knife/whatever you're using in from the key blade side into the fob the break off the key's back cover. Then with some pliers try to unscrew the screw. Note: Make sure you have GOOD pliers for this, sometimes the heads on these break off and leave a small sliver of the screw to grab on to.

The most common reason this happens unfortunately is that either a jeweler's screwdriver wasn't used to loosen/tighten the screw previously and damaged the head of the screw (thus rounding out next attempt) OR the lock tight material on the threads of the screw is so old and tightly bonded between threads that its extremely hard to get out, resulting in either the head of the screw snapping or rounding out the screw's head.

It's unfortunate but again common with this style of key for Hondas.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
The actual electronic components are in their own casing within the key casing. I'd do as Hootie said; just pry it open. You'll have to get a new key shell, which is fairly cheap.
Amazon.com : FCC Id:OUCG8D-38OH-A New 3 Buttons Remote Key Shell Case for Honda Civic Odyssey Fit CR-V Ridgeline No Chips Inside : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics Amazon.com : FCC Id:OUCG8D-38OH-A New 3 Buttons Remote Key Shell Case for Honda Civic Odyssey Fit CR-V Ridgeline No Chips Inside : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics

You'll want to take your old transponder chip out and then put it in the new shell.
Pic of transponder circled:

There are more like it, just search.

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 06-28-2014 at 03:38 PM.