Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

ECU reflash? ECU Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy ECU reflash? ECU Swap?

Hey,
i just test drove the new 2007 Honda Jazz out here in the UAE. Comes with a very nice 1.5L - 121hp, 115 pnd. ft. of torque - that really has me impressed.

What i am wondering is whether it is possible to swap the new 2007 ECU into an older 2005-06 1.5L engine to get me to 121hp ?
Or is anyone here aware of other changes that were made to the engine to increase its power ?
I guess what im asking is it as simple as swapping the ECU or reprogramming the older one?.... or something more complicated?

Unfortuneately i cant afford a new Jazz so i will have to go used.... but i really like the power difference....

Thanx !
(sry for the newbie question - not really an expert in the area).

Old 03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey. Are you sure the second hand Jazz you're looking at of 05-06 is a 1.5? As I just came from the UAE 6 months ago, was there for 22 years. The first Jazz that came out in 05-06 was a 1.3 iDSI engine and not 1.5. 1.5 only came out now for the 2007 model.

Better check. Just my 2 cents in the pot.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by navadv
Hey,
i just test drove the new 2007 Honda Jazz out here in the UAE. Comes with a very nice 1.5L - 121hp, 115 pnd. ft. of torque.
121hp??? i'm only gettign 109 at the crank stock. Are you sure those numbers are correct??

Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
121hp??? i'm only gettign 109 at the crank stock. Are you sure those numbers are correct??
As he is posting from the UAE, so maybe European DIN Vs American SAE horsepower? I forget the conversion factor exactly, but the DIN number is the higher of the two.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
hey,
thanx all for the replies...

Konradh - im pretty sure its a 1.5 in 06 (not sure about 05) - thats when i first tested it out for a friend, but didnt like the power. Heard they had increased power so went for a test again yesterday. Even the sales guy told me in 06 the car was at 109 and is now 121. thanx anyways - i will check it out. Hope im not wrong

Spule & Toy Yoda - not sure, but there is a remarkable difference between the last time i drove it and this time. Power really seems to have been improved. I actually have the brochure from last year which has the following:

Max Horse Power: Net: PS (kW)@rpm == 110(81)@5800
Gross: PS (kW)@rpm == 121(89)@5800
Maximum Torque: Net: Kgm (N.m.)@rpm == 14.6(143)@4800
Gross: Kgm (N.m.)@rpm == 16.0(157)@4800

Considering they told me that engine output was 109hp last year means they were looking at Net figures (if u do the conversion)

but getting back on topic - anyone know if i can swap in the new ECU ?? or reprogramme the old one???

Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by claymore
People have been wondering for the past 2 years why the UAE ones are rated at 121-125 HP. And yes they have been out since the 2005 model year. No one yet has said what makes for the difference just the ECU??? I don't think just a different ECU could make that much difference.

And don't forget Jazz in UAE are running in severe heat conditions compared to the USDM ones so the HP SHOULD be less in those conditions. We had a few members post from the UAE but they haven't been on in a long time.

Anyone in the UAE could you ask your dealer why you guys get the more HP version and what the differences are??
The UAE is built with large crossways/highways. People love to speed there. Just 2 years ago, the statistics department posted a revenue report and showed that aside from oil being the first ranked income, traffic offences came in second! In other words, speeding tickets. The UAE doesn't have a point system like in the US and Europe but instead if you get caught by a camera or a patrol speeding down the road -- then all you have to do is pay a hefty fine which is categorized by your speed at the end of the year or your renewal date. This is why people living in the UAE like to purchase huge muscle cars, I myself owned a Chevy with a 5.7 supercharged engine when was there, fuel is cheap!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Once again thanx for your replies..

I am actually Canadian - i know how helpful delaerships can be in the US and Canada - not here!!
I went to Honda today to enquire whether i could just switch the ECUs. I started explaining that the 2007 model has 10hp more than older versions.
I got a blank stare from the advisor and then he asked me "what is horsepower?" - my response "....." - thats when i gave up.....
Dealerships here SUCK!

So guys, please help me out here....

PS Konradh - had a Lumina SS eh? - i currently have a 2000 Civic SiR, and i think its time to switch... I am playing with buying a 2003 Jazz and swapping in a K20a3 from a Honda Stream - BUT seems i need RSX parts that are not available here.
Also bought a Fortuner 4.0L for light offroading How come u left?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Oh Forgot to mention - those extra 10hp and 10 trq, actually make a big difference. I test drove an 05 1.5L Civic today and no comparison - Jazz hands down.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Once again thanx for your replies..

I am actually Canadian - i know how helpful delaerships can be in the US and Canada - not here!!
I went to Honda today to enquire whether i could just switch the ECUs. I started explaining that the 2007 model has 10hp more than older versions.
I got a blank stare from the advisor and then he asked me "what is horsepower?" - my response "....." - thats when i gave up.....
Dealerships here SUCK!

So guys, please help me out here....

PS Konradh - had a Lumina SS eh? - i currently have a 2000 Civic SiR, and i think its time to switch... I am playing with buying a 2003 Jazz and swapping in a K20a3 from a Honda Stream - BUT seems i need RSX parts that are not available here.
Also bought a Fortuner 4.0L for light offroading How come u left?
Hey navadv, i know the dealers suck there. If you want to tune any Japanese made car, just go to a place located along Salam Street beside the Nissan dealership for spare parts its called Black Tiger, they should be able to sort you out or at least order for you. I left because I'm getting married and had enough of the UAE already. My dad's from Sweden and my mom is from the Philippines. Since you got a Fortuner, try joining a club called AbuDhabi4x4 you can visit it on: www.AD4x4.com I'm one of the founders of the club, I also use to have a Patrol SWB for heavy dune bashing.

Take note of my email and keep in touch: konradhindriks@mydestiny.net

Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm Never heard of Black Tiger?!

u know how it is with mods here anyways - so i dont plan on anything serious - maybe a quite exhaust, an intake, supension and new set of shoes.

By the way, seems like u left at the right time - Jumeirah beach is closing down, cars are getting black boxes that can record ur every move - and its getting more expensive - bah!
Congrats on ur marriage!

anyone else an expert on the ECu swap?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Back here we have the City, and the new City called plus why because it has 121hp more 10hp from the 2006 model, so when I called the dealer they told me that it get's 121hp when you hit the redline, so he was speaking stupid, and found out later this is just advertisment to make the people to buy the 2007, as later on found other companies are doing the same like Hyundai. If you look at the 2006, and 2007 engines they are the same, so where did they get the 10hp more, and no way from the ECU. I think it;s just BS. To make 100% sure if there is diffrence, you need to drive 06, 07 models to know it's true.

Hey,
i just test drove the new 2007 Honda Jazz out here in the UAE. Comes with a very nice 1.5L - 121hp, 115 pnd. ft. of torque - that really has me impressed.

What i am wondering is whether it is possible to swap the new 2007 ECU into an older 2005-06 1.5L engine to get me to 121hp ?
Or is anyone here aware of other changes that were made to the engine to increase its power ?
I guess what im asking is it as simple as swapping the ECU or reprogramming the older one?.... or something more complicated?

Unfortuneately i cant afford a new Jazz so i will have to go used.... but i really like the power difference....

Thanx !
(sry for the newbie question - not really an expert in the area).

Last edited by kimo; 03-22-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Man I love this forum!

That last dude is posting from Egypt! Such and international mix!

Cheers!

M.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
Kimo - to answer ur question - i did drive the older 06 version - and i found it sluggish. Now i've driven the 07 model and there is a difference. I dont think that the dealership would overstate the hp....

But thanx for ur reply
We have the City here too - i dont like it as much, but it also comes with a 1.5L 7matic CVT transmission that i hear is really smooth and fuel efficient

Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
hey,
thanx all for the replies...

Spule & Toy Yoda - not sure, but there is a remarkable difference between the last time i drove it and this time. Power really seems to have been improved. I actually have the brochure from last year which has the following:

Max Horse Power: Net: PS (kW)@rpm == 110(81)@5800
Gross: PS (kW)@rpm == 121(89)@5800
Maximum Torque: Net: Kgm (N.m.)@rpm == 14.6(143)@4800
Gross: Kgm (N.m.)@rpm == 16.0(157)@4800
Bingo, your figure last year of 110 is in the outdated German PS, so lets assume that the 121 is PS also.

Conversion (by memory) of HP in PS to US SAE is as follows:

PS x .9 = SAE

Solve:

121 HP x .9 = 108.9 HP

But PS was taken from the wheels in the German tests?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I drive City I like it because it's bigger than Jazz and better air drag

Kimo - to answer ur question - i did drive the older 06 version - and i found it sluggish. Now i've driven the 07 model and there is a difference. I dont think that the dealership would overstate the hp....

But thanx for ur reply
We have the City here too - i dont like it as much, but it also comes with a 1.5L 7matic CVT transmission that i hear is really smooth and fuel efficient

Old 03-25-2007, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
yup, it is safer i guess...

anyone else know about the Jazz ECU swap?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
But again I don't think there is a diffrence from 06/07 models. You are talking about 11hp diffrence which is a lot. Talked to the dealer here and they don't know the diffrence, and again they told it gets 121hp when it hits the rev limit !!!.

But thanx for ur reply

Last edited by kimo; 03-26-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Angry

Thanx Kimo but thats not it

After alot of asking around finally managed to get a friend to speak to a Mechanic that works only on the Jazz for Honda.

It seems that for 2007 models, the Honda Jazz did get a new ECU and a new transmission, so i will not be able to buy an older one and do an upgrade... which sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was really looking forward to it

Guess i have to buy a Civic then...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Can you install 07 ECU in 06 ECU. Cars in UAE are real cheap compare to here. I paid $17200 for my City 1.3L auto.

Thanx Kimo but thats not it

After alot of asking around finally managed to get a friend to speak to a Mechanic that works only on the Jazz for Honda.

It seems that for 2007 models, the Honda Jazz did get a new ECU and a new transmission, so i will not be able to buy an older one and do an upgrade... which sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was really looking forward to it

Guess i have to buy a Civic then...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
well -- with the new transmission, the 07 ECU has been programmed to work with it. If i buy an 06 model, and put in the 07 ECU i will have problems unless i upgrade the transmission as well.... which is too expensive to do...
The base model Jazz that doesnt come with alloys, fogs or on steering controls costs aprox US$ 12,000. The full option (that comes with the above) costs US$ 13,350.

I know these prices sound cheap to you, but my budget is only US$ 9,500.... and i could get a fully automatic, slightly used, Civic 05 model for under US$ 10,000.
17000 for a city? damn man! - thats the price of a full option, leather interior, 07 civic here!

I love the 07 Jazz and i hope it comes out in US and the rest of the world with the new trans. and power... People will really love it!

Quick Reply: ECU reflash? ECU Swap?