Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K&N stock replacement filter experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:09 AM
K&N stock replacement filter experiences?

Hey guys, what are ur experiences with the K&N stock replacement filters, you know the reusable cleanable oiled filters ??

Ive heard that they can damage the engine if you oil too much but assuming you follow instructions to the letter what's it like.

I'm not expecting monster power gains or anything, if anything i expect just mild increase in response and fuel economy.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
K&n

I agree. Oiling it is easy. You can tell if you oiled it too much when it leaks like fried chicken. I just have the K&N drop in filter. I've noticed an increase in gas mileage if you drive like an economy car. However, I can feel a little improvement in acceleration, but it will eat even more gas with the drop in filter. So yes it does save gas and adds power, but you can only choose one with the type of driving style.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
ive heard that K&N filters dont filter as well as stock ones, heard one report that if you held it up to a strong light u cold see light through it which is disturbing to say the least

we've got one in the accord at home, gonna pull it out and see when i go back later this week

Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 AM
i just read the test that was done at bobistheoilguy and the results are to the contrary. What he says makes plenty of sense, you cant have good filtration and flow at the same time, they're contradictory to each other. K&N only marginally improved on the stock paper filters with regards to flow and did marginally worse when it comes to filtration, exactly what one would expect.

Considering the size of the stuff we're trying to filter out any light shining through that's easily noticible means there is a pretty large hole in the filtration material itself, the stuff we need to filter out is an order of magnitude thinner than the diameter of a human hair, those holes must be letting quite a bit of stuff in. That's not to say regular paper filters are impermeable but the claims that it's both better filtration and better flow have been proved wrong.

Nonetheless I still might get the part just cuz its reusable and will pay for itself over time.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 AM
vbo
I have one. I have see better in acceleration and normal in econo drive.

A little bit good sound. and discret (must be in switzerland)

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 AM
They come pre-oiled now. I have one on my Fit and have had them on my PT as well as my Sentra. No problems. If you are concerned with over-oiling, use the spray oil made by K&N as well as other mfrs.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
if you have an Advance Auto parts store in your area, go check out their K&N filter station. It's pretty amazing, just swap out their K&N filter with a stock airbox type and the ping pong ball will not float. Air passes through each filter, but flows MUCH better w/ the K&N filter. I played with this for about 5 min b/c I was so amazed by the K&N filter..=)

oh btw, can someone point out what the intake silencer is, as in where? I haven't really inspected the stock airbox, but I'm not familiar with this. My Integra, I don't know had this or not, but no seperate parts on the airbox.

Last edited by aznguyen316; 04-17-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
increased airflow must come with decreased filtration ability, from the BITOG test you sacrifice a little bit of filtration ability for a little increase in airflow. THe tradeoff is 50/50 if you ask me and the only reason I'm thinking of still doing this now is because of the reusability of the filter so it will pay for itself over time.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
that happens if you're an idiot and spray too much oil on it.. other wise it should b fine. i've NEVER had a problem with k&n's filters. theyre very reliable filters, I plan to drop one into my fit soon

Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
are you referring to the oil fouling the sensors ??

if so then yeah if you oil it too much it is possible to foul the sensors but the filtration ability of the K&N will not be as good as the paper fibre filters, you can't have both good filtration and high flow. The more flow you want the particles are going to pass by the filter, at first the smaller particles and then more and more large particles as you approach a no filter setup. In the short run I'm sure it wont do much but longevity will be sacrificed, whether this means it dies at 400,000 km instead of 500,000 i can't say but we're probably not planning on keeping the car that long anyways.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by aznguyen316
oh btw, can someone point out what the intake silencer is, as in where? I haven't really inspected the stock airbox, but I'm not familiar with this. My Integra, I don't know had this or not, but no seperate parts on the airbox.
Yes, is it the arm that reaches toward the headlight?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
just installed the drop in today, one thing i noticed was there was no marked up or down sides of the intake and other than a slightly molded lip on one side the two sides of the drop in seem identical. I mounted it so that the words and letters printed on the side were right side up when looking at the intake from the side of the car and the slightly lipped edge facing down. Driving impressions, no increase or decrease in power or torque, and in all likelihood no increase or decrease in fuel ecnonomy either.

has anyone mounted the intake and mounted it opposite of how i did it (with the words upside down aht the lip facing up ??)

Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
ok just changed the orientation in the garage after taking a look at the other K&N filter we have which is oriented with the wording upside down (Dirty/lower side of the filter is closer to the top of the letters and numbers)

it seemed to be a bit easier to clip back in so I'm getting the impression this is the correct orientation.

What are your thoughts ?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Total garbage gimmick.

I'm not even going to bother reading the above posts.
These posts come up every 3 months or so on every car forum.

I used one on my Volvo, I used one on my Tundra, and I even bought one for my E-150 conversion van.

They are hard to prove or disprove with out scientific fact to back it up.

I recommend NOT spending the extra moola on them because...well I didn't notice a performance or economy difference what so ever.

sure they're reusable..but the amount pf money you spend to buy one then buy cleaning chemicals and then have to actually find the time to clean the filter every 1ok or so and it just becomes more bother than it's worth.

just my little opinion....

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 AM
i know that it aint gonna make power or fuel economy gain. The test at BITOG confirms this, the increase in flow is a magnitude smaller than random real world variables so even if it were to make a difference it's effect would be overcome by things like temperature, humidity etc.

the decrease in filtration also is not that significant since stock paper filters let quite a bit of contaminants through as well

all i'm interested in is the reusability, the fact that i got the recharging kit for 1 cent means this filter will start to pay for itself after the 2nd recharge which at the rate at which i drive would be in 2-3 years, we plan on keeping the car for much longer so this seemed like a worthwhile investment.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
i know that it aint gonna make power or fuel economy gain. The test at BITOG confirms this, the increase in flow is a magnitude smaller than random real world variables so even if it were to make a difference it's effect would be overcome by things like temperature, humidity etc.

the decrease in filtration also is not that significant since stock paper filters let quite a bit of contaminants through as well

all i'm interested in is the reusability, the fact that i got the recharging kit for 1 cent means this filter will start to pay for itself after the 2nd recharge which at the rate at which i drive would be in 2-3 years, we plan on keeping the car for much longer so this seemed like a worthwhile investment.
i had one a couple years back but after you clean it it's pretty much worthless, i can see faces of people through the small holes, no wonder why it flows so good... i just pretty much left it dirty because it filters better when it's dirty

Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 AM
to all the people saying that you only can damage your engine from over oiling, sure it won't damage honda's because we only have to worry about the intake air temp sensor, but on other cars that uses the MAF sensors where it's a much more critical sensor, the KN filters just messes them up over a few months. it's not from over oiling either, it's just the natural tendency for the oil to get sucked into the intake

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Not true, MAF sensors have heated wires to burn off any stay oil from any source. Used one in my Mustang with MAF for 50,000 miles and never a hint of a problem.
ok mr. MAF sensor guru, that is great for you!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by claymore
Not true, MAF sensors have heated wires to burn off any stay oil from any source. Used one in my Mustang with MAF for 50,000 miles and never a hint of a problem.
My experience is exactly the same,on a Ford Bronco & F-150 over a 10 year span- never a problem.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
Total garbage gimmick.

I'm not even going to bother reading the above posts.
These posts come up every 3 months or so on every car forum.
How about not dumping another air filter into the landfill every 10k miles--that's good enough for me.

Quick Reply: K&N stock replacement filter experiences?