Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

stock air box mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Did you cut that big plastic thing off, or can it be screwed off? (LOL...sorry).

Old 05-07-2007, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
By bubble, yes I mean that thing lol.

The second resonator is that plastic thing attached to the airbox directly to the left with the 3 lines on it. If you take the air filter out and feel around down in the bottom right of the airbox you'll be able to feel a hole that runs to the left into that resonator which robs airflow and therefore also quiets the sound. I took a few pieces of duct tape and taped it off and noticed not much more performance gain but the sound is nice and I don't have a huge hole in my airbox.

thats wat you call a maze... you cant really take that off.. thats wat holds the box there. and that wouldnt do anything performance wise

Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. Just had a look at my airbox since my filter needs cleaning.

I can take the big thing off easily but it's bolted down by some weird punch in screw thing. Looks like I'm gonna need a pair of pliers for it.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George02
thats wat you call a maze... you cant really take that off.. thats wat holds the box there. and that wouldnt do anything performance wise

You don't take it off, you bypass it by taping it off.

For the bubble resonator I used a serrated knife.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
You don't take it off, you bypass it by taping it off.

For the bubble resonator I used a serrated knife.
For the bubble resonator I discovered you don't have to cut the thing off.

What I did is popped it open so it's swinging on the hinge where it's bolted down, got some tape and taped up the hole, then popped the resonator back on top.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about doing that too, but I figured even if you taped the top off you'll still lose a slight bit of air flow by the air running up the hole until it got to the top. However it would probably be minuscule. If I need to, the bubble pops back on even without the hinge and is secured in place.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about doing that too, but I figured even if you taped the top off you'll still lose a slight bit of air flow by the air running up the hole until it got to the top. However it would probably be minuscule. If I need to, the bubble pops back on even without the hinge and is secured in place.
Guess I could use a cork from a wine bottle.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kentris
Guess I could use a cork from a wine bottle.

that would prob b your best bet

Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just went for a run with the airbox modded.

The sound difference is slightly noticeable, around the 3-4k rev range for me.

In terms of power, there's doesn't seem to be any increase, if not it's not enough to be noticeable.

All in all, it's got a nice rumble to the sound.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Thumbs down

No, thats rice!!! Why so its louder now? wtf!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
wat all did you do to your box?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen lover
No, thats rice!!! Why so its louder now? wtf!
I don't think it's rice.

Consider the air flowing into the resonators, wouldn't that mean that a percentage of airflow that's going to the airbox is lost by going into the resonators?

By blocking them off, doesn't that mean you get all the airflow going straight to the airbox? Instead of taking a detour into the resonators?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't the resonator closed? Doesn't it just change the tuning of the confined volume to be more quiet? ie, it stops air from resonating -- resulting in a smoother air flow? But I'm not sure.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kentris
I don't think it's rice.

Consider the air flowing into the resonators, wouldn't that mean that a percentage of airflow that's going to the airbox is lost by going into the resonators?

By blocking them off, doesn't that mean you get all the airflow going straight to the airbox? Instead of taking a detour into the resonators?
right on the money!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I think I'll try removing the bubble resonator, and then plugging both with corks tonight. I know it probably doesn't do much, but it's so easy to try! Fun, simple mod with a high WAF ;-)

Old 05-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, I've been away for a couple of days and I miss this doozie of a thread. I have to agree Chikubi, as long as there have been cars, guys (and girls ) have been trying to make them go faster. Different folks do different things. The point of this site is for us to share our ideas, our sucesses and failures with our cars. No one needs a blow hard, no matter how much info they have, coming in and telling everyone they are idiots. I live in a red neck town that is ruled by pick-ups and Harleys. Each of them trying to out blast the others exhaust. I love coming here to hear what everyone is doing to there rides since there is no one around me that is in to our litttle cars. So, to all of the all knowing gear heads.....if you want to share your knowlege with all of us idiots please do. If you want to show us how much better or more knowledgeable you are than the rest of us, head back to High School because that's the only palce that childish shit belongs!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mynute 1
Wow, I've been away for a couple of days and I miss this doozie of a thread. I have to agree Chikubi, as long as there have been cars, guys (and girls ) have been trying to make them go faster. Different folks do different things. The point of this site is for us to share our ideas, our sucesses and failures with our cars. No one needs a blow hard, no matter how much info they have, coming in and telling everyone they are idiots. I live in a red neck town that is ruled by pick-ups and Harleys. Each of them trying to out blast the others exhaust. I love coming here to hear what everyone is doing to there rides since there is no one around me that is in to our litttle cars. So, to all of the all knowing gear heads.....if you want to share your knowlege with all of us idiots please do. If you want to show us how much better or more knowledgeable you are than the rest of us, head back to High School because that's the only palce that childish shit belongs!

great way to put it

Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I have completed this mod as well......I do enjoy the louder sound....I think I feel a bit more pep but it might be in my head...over all I would do over again.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
if you do a drop in k&n filter you'll feel a better difference, car sounds really beefy either way

Old 05-20-2007, 02:22 AM
yeah I am saving up for a Mugen Drop in!!!!!!

Quick Reply: stock air box mod!!!