Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Which axle-back is better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Which axle-back is better?

I am looking at getting either the Megan Racing Axle-back or the A-Spec axle-back...

I want a better looking exhaust than my stock system, but I do not want anything too loud.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 systems... does anyone know which one is better? They are both comparable in price and I like the look of both systems..

I would prefer to get whichever system is quieter... both claim to be fairly quiet.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
the a spec is quite under 3k has a slight growel, 4k to 6k you can here it also there is a slight drone with any aftermarket exhaust if you have auto. i have the aspec and love it ( i'm waiting for the b pipe)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM
I know what you mean by the drone sound.. especially with auto trans. I have a MT.. how long have you had your Aspec? Did you have it on during the winter months? how does it look after a canadian winter? overall quality? power gain?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Well, if you go down to Aspec's dealer thread, you'll find a lot of info about their exhaust. I'm looking forward to getting mine on, but since FedEx f**ked up my box and banged up the exhaust, it'll be a couple of weeks yet.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I've got the aspec, and it's great for what it is.

Nice low grumble at low rpms, good tone when flooring it, and quiet when you drive like a normal person ;p

There could be power gains... I put on a cai around the same time so I'm not sure how much was from each. Either way, the car is much peppier overall.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
yeah i got the aspec racing one also and lemme tell u, there is a definite power gain. U really feel it when u switch from stock 2 aspec one (i have done it numerous times since i bought it) it also has the quietest sound. If ur driving like normally, not always at WOT (guilty as charged) then it's very quiet. When u let it rip, it sounds sick! oh btw mine is AT. =] Oh btw it is quieter then the megan racing b/c i have driven next 2 a megan racing equipped axle-back here in cali and it's much quieter.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Again,, ASpec muffler is quiet. It's got the sporty sound. Very low tone. I hear my engine before I hear the muffler. Same when I go pass 4K RPM. Definetly can hear it going under the bridges!! That's fun! lol. I have no problems with droning. My fit is AT.

BTW.. what do you guys clean u'r Aspec muffler with? Mine is getting a little brown on some spots.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Another happy Aspec axle back customer here

Old 05-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Ive had experience with both the megan and the aspec. I think the aspec does sound a bit better, but they are both pretty nice.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
I am looking at getting either the Megan Racing Axle-back or the A-Spec axle-back...

I want a better looking exhaust than my stock system, but I do not want anything too loud.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 systems... does anyone know which one is better? They are both comparable in price and I like the look of both systems..

I would prefer to get whichever system is quieter... both claim to be fairly quiet.

NONE is better. have a custom tube fabricated.

Try it, take the two bolts "12mm" and turn on the car to see what I mean.

Just the perfect sound.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
It's a new car.. get bolt-ons. don't go cutting your pipes. Spend your money and 5 minutes of your tiime installing it. Atleast you'll know that you can go back to stock if you ever need to

Old 05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
i have had mine for 10 months i kept it on during the winter and it looks the same as when i bought it (i washed it every two weeks in the winter) and wipe it with a rag once in a while. the quality is great, it definetly adds abit of pep to the car ,very happy overall

Old 05-05-2007, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
It's a new car.. get bolt-ons. don't go cutting your pipes. Spend your money and 5 minutes of your tiime installing it. Atleast you'll know that you can go back to stock if you ever need to
I think you misunderstood my post. I did not said him to cut and weld anything. Just to have a custom tube made with a oem type flange, in order to be able to switch between the two whenever he wants cause is just 2 bolts.

Right now I have the oem on, to take it to service cause it'e so simple to switch.

There is a thread about no muffler, and I posted my final product pictures, as well as other users post theirs. Also you can hear mine at full track blast by cliking the link below.

That said, I don't intend to talk anything bad about any of the aftermarket axlebacks out there like the Megan or the Aspec (The Aspec wich I love the looks), but ofering a cheaper alternative of a sweet sound. I spend only $90, and there is a user who said to spend only $45.

It is everybody's choice and I only give my opinion

Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I wasn't reading closly I guess.. I get your point. Pretty good idea, I thought about doing that on my 90 CRX Si a WHILE back, but the exhuast shop didn't have the flanges.

sorry, didn't mean to make it sound a little nasty.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I've got an a-spec axle back and I love it.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up dont worry at all

Originally Posted by TomiGunz
I wasn't reading closly I guess.. I get your point. Pretty good idea, I thought about doing that on my 90 CRX Si a WHILE back, but the exhuast shop didn't have the flanges.

sorry, didn't mean to make it sound a little nasty.

Don't worry, I just wanted to share my experience in this particular case, to keep options open. And really no ofence taken since I belive that is the point of this kind of forum, to share info and experiences to the benefict of all Fitfreakers.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
Don't worry, I just wanted to share my experience in this particular case, to keep options open. And really no ofence taken since I belive that is the point of this kind of forum, to share info and experiences IN A CIVIL MANNER to the benefict of all Fitfreakers.
fixed for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Sounds like the A-Spec is the one to go with... I think I have to agree as well.. I just wanted to see some feedback on these systems before I made my decision.

thanks a bunch!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You won't be disappointed

Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Put it this way.... The Megan Racing axle-back looks like poop. Almost worse then stock. Looks like a polished stock muffler for a Spec-V missing the tips. :/

Quick Reply: Which axle-back is better?