Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Oops. TB Porting. Please Read

Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Oops. TB Porting. Please Read

Alright people. I think I messed up.... I had a sudden urge to do a free mod to my Fit at 12am. I pulled the TB off and did some porting.

I DID NOT port past/through the butterfly. From the butterfly back I ported like hell. The TB is basically straight through now.

I put it all together start her up and shes idles at 1500rpms. At first I figured, "I unplugged some things maybe it needs to relearn it? Not to mention the cars cold" I drive her around for a little and its the same. Anytime I push the clutch in the idle drops to 1000rpms and climbs up to 1500rpms and sits there.

I noticed a tiny little screw on the top of the TB. Is this a idle adjustment? Or should I do the idle learn procedure thingy?

Ohh, the car SCREAMS!!! From 3500rpms to redline its a constant pull that actually puts you into the seat. Ive never felt that before from my car.
Please help me out a little. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned
What claymore said! If you took the sensors off, the TPS or the IAC sensor, which when I have messed with other cars, the Idle Air Control Sensor is a plunger type sensor...You may have goofed up there. Just go back and double check everything and make sure all shavings are out of the sensors if you didn't before hand.

Kris

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I pulled the TB as a whole piece. I left everything in the TB. All I did was remove the clips and remove the TB. Nothing was "moved" to my knowledge.

Before install I used a blow gun and TB cleaner to remove dirt/metal. Beleave it or not for 7600miles my TB was gross. :/

You dont think the drive by wire needs to relearn anything?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
hmmm... i pulled my TB off about twice and put it back on with no such problems, no relearning or anything like that... so something is either unpluged or damaged... double check it.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Nothing is unplugged. I checked just now. Drove it around, popped a CEL.
Ill check the codes tomorrow at work. I think somethings dirty. I hope.
Till then I must go to my Lollicup Meet!!!! Hahaa

Might be dishin over money for a TB. Not to mention a long wait I bet.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
could it be possible that some material might have found its way into one of those passages disrupting the idle reading? show some pics please.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I removed the TB again. Blew everything out with a blow gun.
Put it back on and the same thing. Maybe I did port a little too much inward? I dont get it. I think I just need a new TB.

SHIT

Hoping I can just get the TB housing and swap over all my parts. Or I can buy a bigger butterfly and port the HELL out of it.

Still going to run the codes tomorrow at work.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I removed the TB again. Blew everything out with a blow gun.
Put it back on and the same thing. Maybe I did port a little too much inward? I dont get it. I think I just need a new TB.

SHIT

Hoping I can just get the TB housing and swap over all my parts. Or I can buy a bigger butterfly and port the HELL out of it.

Still going to run the codes tomorrow at work.

Damn man... a new TB is bucks... id i priced one at dealer cost at 485... retail is about 680... good luck man.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
AHHHH!!!! Wait, why did you need a new one?
I have a friend that works at Coggin Honda. He gets a damn good discount. I think its cost and his discount.
He got the 4door Si front lip for $140 out the door for my friends HR Si.

I wonder if they'll warranty it?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
take some pix of the porting process. I really wanna see what u did n stuff.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
AHHHH!!!! Wait, why did you need a new one?
I have a friend that works at Coggin Honda. He gets a damn good discount. I think its cost and his discount.
He got the 4door Si front lip for $140 out the door for my friends HR Si.

I wonder if they'll warranty it?
i have having a MAP sensor problem and i thought it had something to do with the throttle body so i asked my friend at honda how much he can get it for me. i was like no thanks... lol bought a new MAP sensor and it fixed my problem. what do those lips retail for?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
So I ran the codes this morning. WHOA. 4 codes

1. P0507: Idle control system. High

2. P0443: System purge valve.

3. P0113: IAT sensor.

4. P0108: MAP/BARO.

The last 2 are stored because I was pulling clips to see if anything changed. Haha, whe, I pulled the MAP my car had a 2 step at 4500rpms. Sounded SICK! The first 2 are the main problems I guess?

So now, what do they mean? Code 1 didnt tell me anything. It said "High Imput" Uhhh duh, I can see that with my tach screaming 1500rpms at stoplights.

I cleared them. I just got home for lunch and the CEL popped back on from my job, carwash, and home. Ill run them again. See what comes up. Ill post after work.

what do those lips retail for?
$350 uninstalled? Around there

Ill take pics of the TB. I used porting tools for drills (not a dremel) and then a wirebrush to smooth and polish it out.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM
You sure you didn't get a vacuum line switched or clogged or something related? That'd be the first thing I would check.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Only code its throwing now is the top one.
1. P0507: Idle control system.

I can get a new TB for $380. :-/
If Im going to get a new TB might as well try and fix this one. Just need a sexy sized butterfly and a drill. HEHEEE!!

Im pretty sure nothings mixed up. Theres only 2 sensors and the main signal plugs. The plugs are different shapes. Ive removed the TB a total of 5 times now and cleaned/blew it all out. I think I just F-ed it up.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
TB = Timing belt?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned
I will bet my rat terrier on the TPS (Even though you can just have the dog) The TPS also still could be a goofy issue. Wiggle the wires around the TPS and see if the idle changes. I had a cracked ground wire from engine torque in one of my cars and I fixed that and the problem disappeared. Good luck.

Kris

Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell
TB = Timing belt?
No. Read above. TB = Throttle Body.

I will bet my rat terrier on the TPS (Even though you can just have the dog) The TPS also still could be a goofy issue. Wiggle the wires around the TPS and see if the idle changes. I had a cracked ground wire from engine torque in one of my cars and I fixed that and the problem disappeared. Good luck.

Kris
Im no expert at this new Honda stuff but all that junk TPS, idle control... blah blah is ALL inside the DriveBy Wire.

The TB is nothing but that. A aluminum chunk with a hole in it. On top is the purge valve (for fuel fumes?) which has nothing to do with the TB. It just sits there and uses/recirculates the intake flow while sucking out fumes. Like a charcoal canister.

Then the IAT which can just hang in the air and work the same as if it was in the intake. Thats it. Theres no extra wires or sensors.

Side note: The Fit runs damn good with no intake pipe. Just open TB. Pulls really nice and sounds great. I felts a gain in low end all the way to redline.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned
Oh...Damn! I gotta get used to this car! I was just going off of what I have seen/done before. I keep forgetting this thing is DBW.

Goofy question then...since you read the codes, did you clear them and see what came up? Was it just that one you mentioned?

PS. I really am kind of smart about cars but the Fit is new to me...Ask me about nitrous or forced induction in a MAP or MAF controlled car and I will help!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by fit4kris
Oh...Damn! I gotta get used to this car! I was just going off of what I have seen/done before. I keep forgetting this thing is DBW.

Goofy question then...since you read the codes, did you clear them and see what came up? Was it just that one you mentioned?

PS. I really am kind of smart about cars but the Fit is new to me...Ask me about nitrous or forced induction in a MAP or MAF controlled car and I will help!
Im not new to cars either.

Thats why this is getting to me about figure this out. I did the porting and made sure I didnt go into the butterfly and all that BECAUSE I knew something like this would happen. When I put it all together Im still kicking my ass about this. And will until its fixed.

The first set of codes was me trying to figure if I messed up a sensor. Thats why theres so many. I was pulling clips close to the TB.
When I cleared them and the CEL popped back on its throwing the 1st code.
P0507: Idle control system. High

Makes sense but it doesnt really tell me anything besides the obvious. There is seriously NOTHING to change besides the $400 TB.
And thats what Im going to have to do.

The DBW is pretty neat. With the car off you can move the TB by hand and hear the motors and what not (thats where I think I F-ed up) With no signal the TB is slightly tilted open. Once the car is started it flaps closed completely and its hard as a rock. You can not push it open with your fingers. If any of you can hear a slight buzzing noise after you turn your cars off (about2-5secs and then its done) its the TB tilting back and forth a few times and settling slightly open.

What Im thinking is that Honda needs to reprogram the TB and idle. Theres no idle screw or anything so I think its a dealer only adjustment. I mean, if thats all I need cool beans. Im still going to have to pay a diag fee.
It is cheaper than $400.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned
Yeah...Crap...I would go ahead and recheck any vac lines...just to be super sure...and then get the ol diagnostics done. It beats getting the TB...What if you get the TB and the code is still being thrown?!

Kris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oops. TB Porting. Please Read