Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Pulse Plugs...2 good 2 B true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bap
I am going to wait on these untill I read a members review of them but I do not expect a big incress in fule millage because people tend to use more gas when they feel they have more power and would be interesting to see how they would work with the ingnition boster.
Probably a wise decision to wait for us to prove/disprove their claims. But if the claims are true, the Fit is a good test bed. If there IS more power, we can either drive conservatively and get even better gas mileage, or we can drive more aggressively without sacrificing as much gas mileage. If neither condition exists, they get sent back for the refund. Then all fitfreaks avoid this product like the plague and tell all of their friends.

One of the great benefits of fitfreak membership- you don't have to risk YOUR money unnecessarily. Somebody else will do that and tell you what you should know afterward.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest. Thanks guinea pig manxman! lol

Old 07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by smeister
Welcome-
But in your case, I'm likely to talk you into spending more money!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
This is the same basic principle Nology wires became famous for.
I used Nology wires on my CRX for about 10 years with great results. I also have Crane Cams full ignition. With a mild cam in the car Crane solved combustion problem at idle and low RPM by providing double spark. Nology had them beat hands down on high RPM! As soon as they started advertizing back then I called them up and insisted on talking to somebody technical. It took them few minutes with me on hold to get somebody. Finally a German guy picked up and explained to me a formula. You can either increase voltage/amperage like most aftermarket ignition systems or reduce the amount of time it takes to energize spark plug to produce the spark.
I tried using both systems at the same time with poor results. They were conflicting each other. I suppose capacitor in wires was being overpowered by higher voltage/amperage Crane coil was shooting. Multiple spark at lower RPM propably made it worst. I am surre that replacing capacitors in Nology with some of greater capacity and treshold would make them work together great. It would however require a colder plugs. Now I run Nology with stock cam and Crane with mild cam.

I am confident in improvements by using these plugs. Question is how big.
I also have concerns with EM interfirence they might cause. Nology made listening to AM stations impossible. FM stations got the addition of alternator whine. Some people had problems with interfirence with ECU's as well while using Nology that made cars undriveable.
I guess we will find out the good and hopefully nothing bad very soon from you guys. Good luck! I am holding my fingers crossed. We need more power out of this pea shooter.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned
Thanks for the input. I am pretty confident that I will see at least some improvement, either in perceived power or increased fuel economy (hopefully both), but how much is the question. If Osborne follows through with his dyno plans before and after installation of these plugs, any real power gains will be more than just "perceived". But as I said previously, I would feel more confident if the electronics were packaged outside of the construction of the plug. My feeling is that a larger capacitor package, located away from intimate contact with the cylinder head, could produce higher amperage and a longer lasting multiple spark.

I will burn a tankfull of gas in my normal travel patterns just to get the first comparison with recorded mileage trends, and then will drive to the top of Mount Hamilton to the Lick Observatory for harsh driving comparison. If there is extra power to be felt, that drive will let me feel it. The fuel consumption that results from that tankfull will indicate even more of what can be expected in that regard.

ciburri- for you personally- I wish that we had been able to meet you at the Fit meet last month at the San Luis Reservoir. This test drive up Mt. Hamilton will also be used for photography to try to get other Bay Area canyon carvers to get together for a meet that will be as fun to get to as to be there. If you have not taken this drive, you owe it to yourself. The only danger at this time of this year (drought/fire) is a fire that would trap you from getting back down to San Jose. Then you would have to keep going East down the other side of the mountain to I-5, North to 205, then West again over Altamont Pass back to Dublin. Would still be a spectacular drive though.

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 07-26-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks for the input. I am pretty confident that I will see at least some improvement, either in perceived power or increased fuel economy (hopefully both), but how much is the question. If Osborne follows through with his dyno plans before and after installation of these plugs, any real power gains will be more than just "perceived". But as I said previously, I would feel more confident if the electronics were packaged outside of the construction of the plug. My feeling is that a larger capacitor package, located away from intimate contact with the cylinder head, could produce higher amperage and a longer lasting multiple spark.

I will burn a tankfull of gas in my normal travel patterns just to get the first comparison with recorded mileage trends, and then will drive to the top of Mount Hamilton to the Lick Observatory for harsh driving comparison. If there is extra power to be felt, that drive will let me feel it. The fuel consumption that results from that tankfull will indicate emen more of what can be expected in that regard.

ciburri- for you personally- I wish that we had been able to meet you at the Fit meet last month at the San Luis Reservoir. This test drive up Mt. Hamilton will also be used for photography to try to get other Bay Area canyon carvers to get together for a meet that will be as fun to get to as to be there. If you have not taken this drive, you owe it to yourself. The only danger at this time of this year (drought/fire) is a fire that would trap you from getting back down to San Jose. Then you would have to keep going East down the other side of the mountain to I-5, North to 205, then West again over Altamont Pass back to Dublin. Would still be a spectacular drive though.

Dave
I agree 10000000% with you on the fact that it would be better if capacitors were outside the plug! Actually I would preffer if they could be mounted outside engine compartment! Like just behind bumper cover. It makes a huge difference to electronics.
I mounted full Crane Cams set up on my GSR like that with much better results than under the hood, but what was most astonishing was the difference I got out of my CRX. During extreme and prolonged driving ignitor kept failing. Since it is mounted inside the distributor it was exposed to ridiculous amounts of heat. I sanded paint off inner fender area just behind passenger headlight, applied heat sink grease and bolted it there! I made a 4 wire harness and runned it to distributor. I made most of my connections outside the distributor. Driveability difference was shocking! Faster reving, more power and torque. My buddies could not believe it. Made more difference than Nology or Crane! I did not explore the possibility of what can be done to Fit as far as using aftermarket or some Honda OEM coil pack mounted on the bumper and runing conventional or Nology plug wires to some good plugs like Beru silver tips from Nology.
I found out about the meet too late! I was bummed out. I was planing on going to Los Angeles for months and meet with my best man and our friend who owns specialized machine shop. We were exploring the possibility of engineering and manufacturing some parts for the FIT. Things nobody thought of yet! Let's just say meeting went great. All systems go, except my job is interfiring with it. I am even considering quiting it for a while and pursuing it full time. I have no doubt it will be succesfull, but I am married with bills. I wish I was a teen living with my parents! LOL!
You have AT Fit right? Some other members are close to me with MT's. I will need you guys for your oppinions and fitment consultations. I can't let the cat out of the bag untill I have pre-production prototypes done. Since there will be no middleman I would like to make them very high end and still keep them affordable as much as production costs would allow. I am tight with Dublin Honda parts and sales people. They are interested in it as well. I would love nothing more than to work on this kind of stuff full time and quit my daily job. I am thinking about advertising Fitfreak.net on packaging and maybe even products themselves if admins allow me. It would be great to turn Fitfreak.net into global branding. I feel like I owe something to Fitfreak and it's comunity for the wealth of info it provides us. We'll see once I actually have something to show for.
BTW, we need to hook up members for a great NorCal meet soon. Summer will fly by before we know it.
I also need to take that ride up Mt. Hamilton. I need to keep my cravings in check. LOL!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned
Count me in for input with your manufacturing project. I won't go into it here, but I have experience that you can't buy anywhere else, including having manufactured my own products for 16 years (not automotive in nature). I used to sell my advice to manufacturing and service factories all over the U.S. Steve Jobs even bought equipment from me.

Being retired, my advice is now free to friends.

First advice- beginning now, add patents and trademarks to your research. You NEED to protect your ideas BEFORE your ideas are shared with strangers, and WAY before the ideas become products on the market.

And yes, my Fit is AT Sport.

One more suggestion for a good drive- head East to Calaveras County and Angel's Camp, and explore up and down Hwy. 49 from Sonora to Placerville. If you like caving, spend a day in California Caverns at Cave City (located in San Andreas, CA.) Oh, geez, I can't resist one more- Hwy. 70 up through Feather River Canyon to Quincy, CA).

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 07-14-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-15-2007, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Count me in for input with your manufacturing project. I won't go into it here, but I have experience that you can't buy anywhere else, including having manufactured my own products for 16 years (not automotive in nature). I used to sell my advice to manufacturing and service factories all over the U.S. Steve Jobs even bought equipment from me.

Being retired, my advice is now free to friends.

First advice- beginning now, add patents and trademarks to your research. You NEED to protect your ideas BEFORE your ideas are shared with strangers, and WAY before the ideas become products on the market.

And yes, my Fit is AT Sport.

One more suggestion for a good drive- head East to Calaveras County and Angel's Camp, and explore up and down Hwy. 49 from Sonora to Placerville. If you like caving, spend a day in California Caverns at Cave City (located in San Andreas, CA.) Oh, geez, I can't resist one more- Hwy. 70 up through Feather River Canyon to Quincy, CA).

Dave
I'll be in touch as soon as I have something to show you. Thanks for the advice on patent protection. I kind of ignored that thinking that it does not take much to change something on a "stolen" idea and get around it. I will seriously look into it. If it comes from a man with your experience it must be plenty of good reasons to do it.
As for the cruising routes, I need to start doing it starting with Mt. Hamilton. LOL! We cruised to Eureka couple weekends ago in our Civic. One way up HWY 1 and back through all the small roads through the thick of redwood forest. Drove a car through carved redwood three. LOL! Canopy was so tall and thick even gps was loosing a signal! I had headlights on! We even ended up on dirt roads for few miles, twice! When you go for 50 miles down a small road and get greated by a sign "rough road next 4 miles" there is no going back! LOL! It was great road trip overall. Great views!
Would have been more fun with more power of Pulse plugs to help me lug 100lbs of tools and emergency gear. Last time I went toward Mendocino in Passat we lost 3 out of 6 cylinders! Crapy splitfire plugs! I had nothing except my laptop and Autoenginuity diagnostic software.
If those Pulse plugs ever fail and check engine comes on, it would be wise to keep OEM plugs and tools in the car. Better that than paying for a new cat. Passat V6 had four! Thanks god for 80K miles federal emission warranty! Got them all replaced for free. When I saw internal VW bill it made me sick.
Looks like Pulse plug manufacturer really stand behind their product. They would not do that if they were unreliable. I am surre they did some long term durability testing. Still I wish they were somewhere with plenty of air flow.
Thanks for your generous offer for help Dave. I'll keep you posted.

Ivan

Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 PM
random question would these serve as good plugs for my wet kit or are they still similar to stock and i would need to find colder stage plugs?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bigtymer8700
random question would these serve as good plugs for my wet kit or are they still similar to stock and i would need to find colder stage plugs?
According to general statements in the plug website FAQs, the plugs help the performance of power mods like NOS, CAI, etc.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned
UPDATE for Osborne, and any other 'freak who has ordered these plugs.
They do not have a customer service or order status feature on their web site. So I called them today to check status. It takes about two weeks to ship on-line orders, and shipping is done via UPS. They promise to e-mail a tracking number when the order is shipped.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
UPDATE for Osborne, and any other 'freak who has ordered these plugs.
They do not have a customer service or order status feature on their web site. So I called them today to check status. It takes about two weeks to ship on-line orders, and shipping is done via UPS. They promise to e-mail a tracking number when the order is shipped.
Thank you for the info.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by osborne
Thank you for the info.
You're welcome osborne-
I'll post when my shipment comes in with a brief DIY w/photos. I don't expect miracles, but I hate waiting.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
X2 for me!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Tagged for interest! I have deep-rooted doubts about power-adding spark plugs.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned
osborne,

Maybe some bad news---. Ethical Internet marketers make it a point to charge your credit card ONLY when your order ships. Pulse Plugs charged my AmEx card the day that I placed my on-line order on 7/12. In my later phone call to check status, they said two weeks to ship, and they would send tracking number by e-mail. So far, no tracking number. On 7/26, if no indication of shipping has been received, I will call AmEx and dispute the charges because I will be paying my bill in full on that date. I just wanted to alert you to possible SCAM tactics.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
osborne,

Maybe some bad news---. Ethical Internet marketers make it a point to charge your credit card ONLY when your order ships. Pulse Plugs charged my AmEx card the day that I placed my on-line order on 7/12. In my later phone call to check status, they said two weeks to ship, and they would send tracking number by e-mail. So far, no tracking number. On 7/26, if no indication of shipping has been received, I will call AmEx and dispute the charges because I will be paying my bill in full on that date. I just wanted to alert you to possible SCAM tactics.
Thanks for the heads up. I put a call in to their office today, but got someone's voicemail. I will let you know if they call me back.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

In for a review.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned
Not great news yet, just better news:

I called the Pulstar Pulse Plugs people, and asked about the status of my order that was charged to my card account on 7/12. I spoke to a very pleasant young lady who was extremely apologetic about the non-shipment of my order. She explained that under normal circumstances, when a customer's card is charged, the shipment either goes out that same day or the next day at the latest.

In my case (and I guess osborne's too), something (maybe a magazine ad) created a huge order frenzy and they sold out their entire stock in one day.
New stock just came in, and my order is guaranteed to ship early next week.

I told this girl that I would forgive the delay and early card charges, but that others probably would not. Also told her (for her employer's info.) about the 18000 member on-line car club that is waiting for the review of this product. She asked "what car?" and I told her. She responded that her '92 Acura Integra 4 cyl. with these plugs gives her ALL of the advertised benefits.

So, the rip-off so far has been accidental. Will post when the plugs come in and the tests start.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Twilight,

The Jacobs system on my Ford Bronco II had a very unfortunate flaw though- the coil output was so high that it literally burned the Jacobs coil wire in HALF on a blind curve of a mountain road. MSD replaced the Jacobs.
I had a similar experience w/ Jacobs. I had one on my Toyota p/up and it definitely improved my mileage and power. BUT, it had some fatal flaws. For one thing, it didn't work well in cold weather. Maybe the coil demands were too much for the battery? Another thing was that it kept melting parts of its wiring harness -- too much output? It's been a while but I think it was the piece that ran from the coil to the distributor cap. The original one was covered in shrink wrap -- I burned through two of those. The next one they sent me had its parts housed in aluminum. That one didn't melt. Shortly after that I sold the truck but I do remember that it was effective.

Quick Reply: Pulse Plugs...2 good 2 B true?