Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K&N Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
K&N Typhoon

I had this installed today.
OMG, the ride home was a blast!

I've done many mods like this in the
past to many different cars, but none
yielded such a . . . 'noticable' difference.

I'd really like to recomend this to anyone
looking to improve things.

K&N Typhoon Intake
Part #69-1016-1TS

Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
flame suit on!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned
You made a mistake. This is the only SRI that must be disassembled to service or change out the filter. It was badly designed when it was first released, and when that mistake was fully exposed ON THESE FORUMS, K&N admitted the mistake, promised to fix it, but lied. YOUR new intake is still not designed to fit your car properly. It is not worth the cost when compared to other better designed, less expensive, and still fully functional intake systems. At least one other intake system makes more power, at normal driving rpm, with no fitment problems, which makes it much better than the K&N junk- that is the H-Fit SS chamber intake.

Last edited by manxman; 12-13-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
You made a mistake. This is the only SRI that must be disassembled to service or change out the filter. It was badly designed when it was first released, and when that mistake was fully exposed ON THESE FORUMS, K&N admitted the mistake, promised to fix it, but lied. YOUR new intake is still not designed to fit your car properly. It is not worth the cost when compared to other better designed, less expensive, and still fully functional intake systems. At least one other intake system makes more power, at normal driving rpm, with no fitment problems, which makes it much better than the K&N junk- that is the H-Fit SS chamber intake.
I could care less how difficult it is to service.
I could care less how much more it costs to service.
I don't service my own cars anyway.

If does the job and i'm happy with it. No mistake was made.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
congrats with your intake, it's a good thing you're satisfied with it. lots of people on these forums have complained about this one but if it's cool with you that's all that matters. leave the man alone!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George02
flame suit on!
lol, I was waiting for Manxman to see this.

Don't take it too personally Luxery Fit, a lot of people (Especially Manxman who TRIED to work through major fitment problems with them, read through his post about it and you will understand his harsh responce) have had issues with this intake. I am glad to hear it fits and performs for you, maybe K&N finally got it right this time.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned
I am just delighted that the guy with the new junk from K&N is so happy.
But it is happiness based on complete and total ignorance. If he doesn't have either the ability or even the interest to install his own intake, then he can't possibly see the flaws in it. He did not have the initiative to read any of the information on K&N's mistakes in the various threads on this forum.

People can waste their money on anything they want, but for the benefit of otherwise intelligent newbies who find this thread, they need to be warned that K&N USED to make innovative, good quality products (20 years ago). They now sell the intake for the Fit on lies, not quality. Their first Typhoon kit did not fit, and they promised our forum to fix the problem. They did not fix the problem.

As far as his claims of wonderful power with the new intake--bullshit. More noise, yes. SLIGHTLY better throttle response, yes. But the Fujita SRI does exactly the same things for less money, and with easy serviceability.
The H-Fit chamber intake makes more power at a more sensible, and usable, lower rpm band.

For the few of us who bought the K&N system out of misplaced brand loyalty, they made us wait 6 months for the promised replacement system after being embarrassed on fitfreak.net by their own mistakes. But their
new, revised system is inferior to all other brands on the market.

This guy who can't do his own research or mechanical work will be absolutely delirious with joy if he buys, and pays someone to install, one of those fabulous electric superchargers, or the magic "chips" that give you 40 extra horsepower and 8 extra miles per gallon. Hurry, before they sell out!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
haha woulda been better off just getting a cai off ebay with a k&n filter for 100$...fits fine feels good. i like it. no complaints about it.(wasnt gonna waste money on a high priced cai if im eventually going turbo or sc).

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kancerr
haha woulda been better off just getting a cai off ebay with a k&n filter for 100$...fits fine feels good. i like it. no complaints about it.(wasnt gonna waste money on a high priced cai if im eventually going turbo or sc).
That's the kind of better choice you can make if you know what you are looking for, and ignore the advertising bs from some manufacturers.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
I could care less how difficult it is to service.
I could care less how much more it costs to service.
I don't service my own cars anyway.

If does the job and i'm happy with it. No mistake was made.

man....newbs these days with their attitudes....

for performance, SS would have been a much better choise. for looks, T1R, got money to burn, K&N, I mean, why not~

Last edited by diedwater; 12-14-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
To be honest, I think you guys are being a little to harsh on the guy. Yes he made a mistake, yes he should have done the research and yes his attitude sucks, but that was his choice. Let him be.

In my case, i was offered this intake for 80 bucks. I decided to research it and found all of this crap on it. Although it seemed too good to be true, you should always research a product, THROUGHLY, before you buy anything. Ask questions, talk to people, read, read, read. Point given, just be smart with you're money. If you choose not to, your choice.

Haha funny, I talk about being easy on the guy, and I end up given a lecture. Anyways, bro, just think a little bit harder next time, change your attitude, and don't rush into things, cool? =] hahaha alrighty time to go to other things. Peace

Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by saiko
To be honest, I think you guys are being a little to harsh on the guy. Yes he made a mistake, yes he should have done the research and yes his attitude sucks, but that was his choice. Let him be.

In my case, i was offered this intake for 80 bucks. I decided to research it and found all of this crap on it. Although it seemed too good to be true, you should always research a product, THROUGHLY, before you buy anything. Ask questions, talk to people, read, read, read. Point given, just be smart with you're money. If you choose not to, your choice.

Haha funny, I talk about being easy on the guy, and I end up given a lecture. Anyways, bro, just think a little bit harder next time, change your attitude, and don't rush into things, cool? =] hahaha alrighty time to go to other things. Peace
saiko-
Good man!
It's reassuring to see a balance between dimwits and sensible people. It's also good to see that most members actually use the forums for their intended purpose- to obtain and share information.

I assume from your story that you turned down the $80.00 K&N system? I personally wouldn't jump on you for buying it at that price, but at that price it is still an overpriced piece of soft aluminum tubing that isn't cut properly for your Fit.

By the way, Mr. Wizard's photo is of the original, first model, Typhoon SRI that K&N admitted on this forum DOES NOT FIT OUR CARS!

Last edited by manxman; 12-15-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
To be honest, I think you guys are being a little to harsh on the guy. . . . Let him be.
Agreed. There's no reason to go on a tirade, label someone as ignorant, call them sarcastic names, etc. just because they decided to make a purchase that you disagree with -- it's completely unwarranted and just plain rude. I can understand why the OP got defensive because he made an honest post and got jumped on from the get go. Not saying that having strong negative feelings about the K&N isn't right considering the amount of BS they pulled here, but direct that angst towards K&N, not an innocent member who happens to own own of their products; it's just not fair otherwise.

BTW, I know the intentions are good and so are the people behind them, I just think the reaction to this post was a bit heavy handed.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Yeah I turned it down. I might end up with an h-fit or, if i later decide, i may end up with a cai. still doing some research here and there cuz i wanna get one i'll be happy with. but, i'm trying to get exhaust first. I need sound!!!... hahaha

Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned
Chikubi,

You are ignorant. I am ignorant. Everyone is, because it is impossible to be omniscient (got dictionary?). Ignorance has a cure- it's called "knowledge". That is something that you earn with education combined with experience. Intelligent members use these forums to educate themselves so as not to waste money on unwise practices.

The OP deserves outrage by posting out of date photos and bullshit information. I will challenge anyone who tries to fool other newbies into buying junk for their Fit from K&N. The lies to all of us from K&N, and the iron clad proof of the fitment problems have been on this exact forum for over a year.

If I hurt this guy's feelings, good. If I pissed him off, even better. He may think twice before wasting his money in the future, but I don't care about that. He probably will think twice before posting garbage information that might cause other newbies to make the same mistake. I do care about that. His own statements labeled him as ignorant, but as previously stated, ignorance is ubiquitous, and curable. However, stupid is permanent. The definition of "stupid" is "the inherent inability to learn". I didn't label him as stupid, because if that is his actual condition, he will demonstrate it.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Alright fella's.. enough of this bull crap. This guy made a mistake, hopefully he'll realize that, we know it, so lets leave it at that. I'm not taking sides. I just believe that we got the point across, and there is nothing more that needs to be said... unless it is for the benifet of others.

(btw, saying that he made a mistake once is enough. Leave the guy alone)

Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I've changed my mind . . .

I have decided not to keep my K&N Typhoon intake.

However, I think it's very important you to understand that it's not because of anything any one person said. It was the over-all consensus that this intake is not desirable.

I am not offended or pissed off by anything any single person said on this forum. (I'll not post his name or insult him, bc I'm certainly above that. You guys know who he is, and it seems to me that he did an awesome job of showing his true colors without me having to say a word.)

Additionally, I find it fascinating anyone could determine a individual's 'attitude' in an online forum. (To me, these forums seem so very impersonal and disconnected from reality to judge that).

On a more positive note, I'd like to say how impressed I was by Chikubi's comments and would love to hear any great suggestions on an affordable (under $400.) air intake, from people like him.

Did someone mention AEM?

Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned
Congratulations, LuxuryFit-
As I previously posted to Chikubi, we are all ignorant because no one can know everything. You are now less ignorant. I accomplished my purpose in my replies: to prevent other members from being led by you to the same mistake. You must have found out by now that I was the first person on this forum to discover that I made this very same mistake, and for exactly the same reasons.

Those who have used these forums for any length of time already know my "true colors". Out of 1200 posts, all of them have been written to help members who are looking for technical advice. I only write the truth as I know it. When I post something that later proves to be inaccurate, I post a retraction.

For any member who is offended by a strong warning against bad advice, you need to be aware that there are no automotive enthusiast Internet forums designed for children. Adults who post advice and information in this medium should be prepared, and capable,of defending their statements
because they WILL be challenged by people with more experience.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
Did someone mention AEM?
I don't think the AEM will fit, I noticed you have an automatic. That knocks out the Aspec, the AEM and the Fujita CAI. If you are looking specifically for a CAI, I think the only one that will fit your vehical is the Ingen one (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Maybe some E-bay knock of brands out there fit too. (Injen shown below)

Alternativly I feel I should mention there are a lot of chamber intakes availiable as well. I have a perference to CAI , but the chamber intakes (specifically the T1R & H-Fit one) are getting great reviews and loved by the majority of owners here. Each system has it's own advantages, has been debated to death on other threads

There is also some other SRI's & Drop in filters out there, but... yeah I am not getting into this.... do a search because again the results of these are disputed.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I don't think the AEM will fit, I noticed you have an automatic. That knocks out the Aspec, the AEM and the Fujita CAI. If you are looking specifically for a CAI, I think the only one that will fit your vehical is the Ingen one (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Maybe some E-bay knock of brands out there fit too. (Injen shown below)

Alternativly I feel I should mention there are a lot of chamber intakes availiable as well. I have a perference to CAI , but the chamber intakes (specifically the T1R & H-Fit one) are getting great reviews and loved by the majority of owners here. Each system has it's own advantages, has been debated to death on other threads

There is also some other SRI's & Drop in filters out there, but... yeah I am not getting into this.... do a search because again the results of these are disputed.
I think our Canadian cousin is right in his statements. Member "Bap" has an AT Fit with the Injen CAI. It was a perfect fit when I looked at it in June. Member "Wave" lost his original engine with a CAI and one deep puddle on the highway. But with your drought, that possibility is less of a likelihood.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon