Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

OBX lsd, any idea?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
meh...obx is such a cheap name brand.i mean you pay for what you get. i really dont like cheaping out on products for my car.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
OBX is crap stay away, save uup and go big

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
I explained a little about LSDs here a while back. The OBX is of similar design to the Quaife (Helical, not clutch-type), though they do not have the same reputation for quality like Quaife does.

Typically people are drawn to them because of the (lower) price, and of course there's a reason they cost a lot less than anything else. Many people do run them (in other cars, I don't know any Fit owners running one in an L15) with some success, but typically they strip them down for inspection/repair even before install.

Most of them seem to come with a few stripped bolts, since final assembly requires an even, stepped tightening of some bolts that hold the whole thing together (spring pressure pushes the two pieces apart, and keeps the bolts from going in straight). They are also commonly found to come new with metal shavings in them, and the bellville washers don't seem to be in any particular order (the washers that maintain tension and prevent chattering).

My advice: get a Quaife... as we say at Panducky, "you'll only cry once".

Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
id definately buy one if my tranny was already apart

although obx has a horrible reputation, that isnt usually the case with their lsds. do some research on peoples experience with them on other hondas and youll find that the latest version of their lsds have been pretty successful with not many complaints now that theyve fixed the issue causing axles to get stuck inside of them

Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
there is tons of guys with obx lsd's on d-seris.org,clubcivic, h-t etc. I never once saw anything related to them causing damage. Only thing I read is the bolts should be re-torqued. There is a kid on clubcivic running around with one as a DD/track car for over year. Also a couple ep3's over on ephatch.com.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 PM
finally some people with better thing to say other than just saying they sux...
i searched on honda-tech, many people running them on B or D series civic and rsx. that's y i post here and see if anyone has it on the fit yet.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by r.c.y.k.
finally some people with better thing to say other than just saying they sux...
i searched on honda-tech, many people running them on B or D series civic and rsx. that's y i post here and see if anyone has it on the fit yet.

They aren't going to be much different for the Fit than they are for the B/D/etc though... same basic design. Here is a good little write up of someone disassembling and reassembling an OBX diff, you can see what I mean about the washers and the stripped bolts.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
i have read about the washers and stripped bolts already. seems like those are the only problems.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
OBX should stick to mufflers; and thats it!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I gotta agree.....a quaife ISN'T that much more money and for most people installing that is beyond your means anyway so you are going to pay someone a ton of money to install it and cut corners on a sub quality unit in of itself. Why not go with the better product and KNOW it will work and work flawlessly...

Sorry buy stripped bolts, metal shavings and washers in the wrong order along with OTHER problems documented in that thread and it just doesn't add up. This isn't a slip on exhaust or intake we are talking about....You are ripping your transmission apart and putting this in....Thats a huge job. Go big I say. I would hate to cut corners and have the car not work right ONLY to have to rip it back out and try and fix it or put a better unit in down the road.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Tom nailed it all on the head there. I know of several people running OBX LSDs, most run them because they wanted a cheap solution a lot had issues or as soon as they had money went with a quaife.

You can always be that guy who bought one and never had problems. I hope that is the case. But you can also be that guy who has had problems and writes nightmare stories. Again like on all products there is a reason the top name stuff costs what it does. If the stuff that is 1/3 of the cost was just as good and performed as great no one would even bother and the companies charging more would go out of business.

Can you get away with doing things cheaper? Yes a lot of people do but there are lot who end up paying twice as much trying to as well.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a bit confused about Obx..... I'd like to buy LSD 1.5 way...
We have to say that negative feedback about obx lsd are referred to 2005. Do you think something has changed?
There are many people happy about obx....
There are people talking bad about Quaife....
Will it worth???

Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM
They are hit and miss with most products that include welding. They're headers are crap, there turbo kits are crap, but like it was mentioned before "you get what you paid for". You might be alright with the lsd, but why take the risk because if it breaks, its not like a header replacement.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
when it comes to something as important as an LSD, I wouldn't go with a cheap part. If it were a muffler or CAI, i'd say go for it, but if a muffler breaks, chances are you're not going to crash.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
when it comes to something as important as an LSD, I wouldn't go with a cheap part. If it were a muffler or CAI, i'd say go for it, but if a muffler breaks, chances are you're not going to crash.
+1 on that. i spent the extra money for a name brand lsd because i wanted something that is going to be reliable and race proven. i forget who said it on the forum but it is soooo true and i kind of live my life by it. they said "cheaper parts always end up being more expensive in the end"

Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Quaife also has a better warranty where if your tranny is damaged by the LSD's failure, they will also pay to repair that.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
We have to give consideration on:

1. Does Fit really need the best LSD? We are talking about 120 hp....;
2. To say what's the best LSD then we should know how it's made....
3. We can't say Obx quality isn't good cause of two negative feedbacks given three years ago;
4. It's plausible that Obx's copied the design from someone and then has made it's Lsd;
5. I'm not a fun of Obx, but I bought their exhaust header 4-1 and I have to say that it's well made;
6. Regarding Obx lsd I think that pieces are made by machine, so the only weak point should be its assembling.

My conclusion is that there would be someone to test it..... but it seems that there is noone at the moment!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
+1 on that. i spent the extra money for a name brand lsd because i wanted something that is going to be reliable and race proven. i forget who said it on the forum but it is soooo true and i kind of live my life by it. they said "cheaper parts always end up being more expensive in the end"
I agree with you.... but my street tuning philosofy is that you have to reach the maximum spending the little as possible... I'm talking about good value.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
I'll order a Quaife soon. Just hope that they DO have it in stock so I don't have to wait for months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBX lsd, any idea?